Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need help with treatment

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi i am 21 years old and i have a 8mm x 14mm x 14mm hernited disc on the L4-L5

Next month will be the one year mark since the work injury and my doctor and case worker wants to be done with my case

i have done 4 months of PT and one injection that did not relley help

I have a everyday pain lvl of around 3 (out of 10) but the problem is that i can't lift 30+ lbs of weight with out extra pain. And everytime i lift anything around 4 hours later my pain jumps up to around 5 or 6.

My doctor tells me that the only thing that he can do is surgery since the PT and injections arnt working.

He tells me that i can either live with the pain and go back to work. Or he will do surgery.

What do yall think. Everyone i talk to says that i am too young for surgery and it is the worst thing i can do. However i would like to get back to beable to lift items and not lay in bed at night in pain becasue i had to lift a box.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi And welcome to Spine Health. Sorry that you are going through so much hassle and pain regardless of your age. Have you gotten a second opinion on the possibility of surgery? There are many folks your age who do have surgery with positive outcomes. No one can be certain what will happen years down the road. However, if you are in too much pain to be active, then "down the road" may be pretty gloom anyway.

I would say that getting a second opinion is the next route to take.

Hang in there,

"C"
  • Hiya, Welcome to Spine health >:D< You are very young to be going through this :( , and to have the pain that you have :? . If you are unsure get a second opinion :? Even if you do get a second opinion :/ , at the end of the day only you can decide :? , if you have surgery or not :) .keep us posted. >:D<

Angie :H
  • I went to anther NS that told me that it is my choice to have surgery. If i can live with the pain good for me...if not then he would do surgery.

I went to a chiropractor that did 5 decompression treatments that had no effect

And my current NS doctor told me the same thing the other doctor did. that it is my choice.

The thing that i am unsure about.... is haveing surgery that bad?. I have some ppl say not to have surgery unless i cant walk. And others tell me that the risk of makeing it worse is real low.

If i dont have surgery will the herineted disc that is pushing on my L5 nerve cord casue damage over time. Around 6 months ago my leg pain went away when i was unactive between treaments. But the lower back pain has unchanged.

What would you do?

The constant pain lvl of 3(out of 10) i can live with and dosnt bother me much.

What i hope to get fix is to be able to lift heavy items with out pain or pain later that night.

I can lift any amount of weight. however it just cauases extra pain.

I understand that i am in better shape then a lot of people that have herineted disc. am i asking too much? to beable to lift heavy items(between 30-70lbs) with out extra pain

Thank you for takeing the time to help me
  • I had problems in the L4/L5/S1 anyway i had 2 discs taken out and 1 shaved :''( The S1 nerve was trapped :''( . I was at the stage where i was dragging my leg behind me :''( . I was in so much pain i didnt have a choice :''( , but the surgeon was strongly recommened i had surgery :? I was left to long before they operated and now have nerve damage. :( I couldnt walk far, i would be in tears when i reached the front door :''(

Angie >:D<
  • #3 Dr. opinion can't hurt and see what he says and ask if there could be nerve damage to put it off. That and severe pain would make it necessary to do surgery. Have you a brace to wear to work while you're waiting? Maybe try to find a physio that does Mckenzie treatment if it's oked by your Dr. I would do everything conservative first before surgery. It may be necessary to modify your work or retrain for another kind of work because you could reinjure. Take care and keep us up to date. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.