Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scars

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Anybody have any good remedies to reduce the appearance of your scar? I'm less than 4 weeks post-ACDF and the scar on my neck is actually pretty small. The NS placed the incision very nicely in a natural crease in my neck (well, I am 40 years old, I can have a couple creases :W ) I have some really old injuries and scratches that left long-lasting scars, and I just wondered if there's anything I could be using in these early stages of healing that could help minimize the scar formation.

I've seen commercial products called Scarfade and Mederma. Anyone have experience with these or have good results with other products or treatments?

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• They sell scargel in pharmacies. It's called that too. It worked when I had scars from dermabrasion. Just ask the pharmacist or cosmetic girl. I heard vit. E and cocoanut cream is supposed to work but that didn't help me. Take care Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I used it after wrist surgery. On the wrist that I had the laproscopic surgery done on I can't even find the scars anymore and there were many. The one on my left wrist however went all the way across the back of my wrist and is quite deep. Dermisil nor any other product would be able to cover that scar. Dermisil seems to work with the smaller scars. And could be a good option for your type of scar. My scar is almost gone now so I can't use it to even garner sympathy anymore. :(
  • Creme de la mur, I believe it is called. 100 bucks an ounce... But is miracle cream.

I don't use anything, though. I absolutely LOVE scars. I have 5 on my back from back surgery, one on my stomach from back surgery, a looong horizontal one on my stomach from a c-section, among a bunch of others from the usual wear & tear of life. I know, I'm weird. Lol.
  • If you prefer to wait it out, your body will mask the scar on it's own to a point. One thing to avoid during the healing process is suntanning.

From what I was told, keeping the scar from suntanning while the incision is healing will allow the actual scar to be less noticeable.

My anterior scar isn't very noticeable. I did think of getting a few band-aid tattoo's across the incision as a joke. My family didn't think that was such a good idea. It's not like I could feel it. Still numb after 2 years down both sides on the incision.

The incisions on my back aren't too bad (8 - 1 inch). They are more noticeable than my anterior incision. Like "Lo", I have a collection of scars from various injuries and surgeries, so scarring doesn't bug me very much.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • If you can wait it then at least try. But from your avatar you look like you enjoy the outdoors. If that's the case by all means use any one of the scar creams we've suggested. With the good ones just get ready for the sticker shock as most are very pricey.
  • All I used on all my scars was simple neosporian.
    I started using it the day I came home from all surgeries.
    You cannot even see the one on my neck from 04.
    My wrist yes its still from the beginning of the year so it still has that brown to it.
    My back scar looks awesome.
    If ya all think I am taking a pic of that your nuts cause you will see the stretch marks to!! =)) =)) =))

• Thanks all for your advice. As for suntanning, here in eastern Idaho, we won't see the sun again until about April, so that's not a problem B) ! I'm not particularly vain about the appearance of the scar, but I thought I'd check to see if there's anything to help in these early stages. I know I tend to retain scars since I still have one on my leg from being kicked by a horse 25 years ago and many little scars on my hands and arms from pissed off cats.
  • Tic Tac Toe Lo's belly!

LOL!

(just a joke!)
  • Cream with Vitamin E was what I was advised.

Cocoa Butter kinda thing.
  • Here's a funny one for you. My vet was trying to show me on another cat how to get a pill down my cat's throat by holding their heads back and gently rubbing their neck while holding their mouth closed or however it goes. Well let me tell you I got to the holding her head back before the fight was ON! She nearly scratched my arm all to pieces. Needless to say I won't EVER try that again! I feel so sorry for my vet when I have to take her in. They have to clip her claws before they do anything to her or she will claw them to pieces too. Even while wrapped in a towel!We call this cat Angel O:) but she is anything but that. }:)
    My heart goes out to you and I promise never to bring Angel to your office because you would need more scar remover after you had the stitches removed. :D
  • I'm glad someone else is with me there. I have cool pictures of my scars on my myspace page.. With the staples in, and after they were removed. They are really cool looking. No anterior picture, cause my stomach is REALLY messed up Lol. Tons of stretch marks from my son, the csec scar, and my anterior back surgery scar isn't too bad.. Definitely a lot less noticeable than the back. But the front scar my skin was sewn together weird because of my stretch marks and my belly button looks like it's winking now. Lol.
  • There are MANY games one could play on my stomach. Flip me over and play a different one on my back. Haha :)

I was told NO creams or ointments of ANY kind for the first few months. I wouldn't have used them anyway. Remember, my odd love of scars? Lol.
  • I was told no creams or lotions until 6 weeks. Maybe there is a risk of infection or something? I don't know. I don't think I'll need anything. It's only been 3.5 weeks and already the scar is fading quickly. I'm afraid it'll be gone by the time I get back to work and no one is going to believe I had surgery ;)) I'd take that over a scar though. But if it happens to be noticeable...that's ok too. I would consider it a badge of honor for everything I've been through. People who don't experience spine problems have no idea the pain involved. I have a high tolerance for pain...always have. I broke my arm playing baseball when I was 6...my mom didn't know for a week because I never cried. I've always been like that...but the pain I felt from herniated discs and bone spurs in my cervical spine drove me to tears. Some days...I jsut couldn't even get out of bed without excruciating pain. I know everyone here knows that pain all to well....so if it comes to it...those scars are your purple hearts. Wear them proudly.
  • My surgeon told me after two weeks, I could use Mederma or a similar 'scar' product.

Fortunately, he strategically placed the incision right in an ugly skin-fold. So, I hope in time, it will blend in. The incision he made for the autograft is right underneath a roll of fat (thanks kids!) and I am not worried about that one! No one will see it. =))
advertisement