Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cyst

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi I am Maz and am new to this forum today. I was looking for answers about a lumbar cyst. had an MRI in June after I was complaining (still am) of throbbing burning buttock and electric type heel pain. The pain is increased when sitting and walking. The MRI showed bilaterial facet degeneraion L5/S1 with a small cyst on the exist foramen of L5 it states this is "not obvioulsy compressing the root which may be related to the posterior joint"

Thing is, SOMETHING is compressing nerves! Its is in my opinion th cyst a sthe MRI showed nothing else significant but bilateral facet degeneration I have pain in bothe buttocks and heels.

I tried asking my spinal surgeon (had a 2 level ADR in Sept C5.6 C6/7) he thought it was the possible source of the pain but it was the day after my neck op, and I was in the hospital bed, I think it wasnt the right time to discuss my other concern! Saw him breidfly (2 mins) for my 6 week post op but he would not discuss lumbar issue as it was too early. I am due 16th Dec for another post op but on the NHS it is a 2 min look and may not even be him. I am worried the buttock pain is getting worse and I am due back at work on 17th Dec.

If anyone has any info on whether this cyst could be my pain generator, general advice and infor can you post, many thanks Maz
advertisement

Comments

• These cysts are formed because calcification builds up in the snyovial sac around the facet joint. This plugs the outlet so that synovial fluid builds up and balloons out the synovium to form a cyst that impinges on the spinal cord and the nerve root. I had a cyst on L4-L5 joint. This caused intense sciatic pain in the hip and the leg. Unfortunately these things do not get better by themselves and need to be removed surgically. Every situation is different with respect to the cause and the best surgical solution. My cyst was the result of severe facet arthritis in the lumbar region. The L3-L4 and L4-L5 motion segments were affected by degenerated discs and by facet arthritis so I ended up with a fusion L3-L5 and the cyst was removed. This was not fun, and delay in dealing with it may be the cause of my current chronic nerve pain. You need to get some opinions soon.
  • About 8 years after my initial injury a cyst was found beside my t9 vertabra. They called it a psuedo(something very long)cyst :?? and think it is a small pocket of water. At first my doctor was excited and thought maybe that was causing my pain and other symptons but then decided it was nothing. Oh well.
This discussion has been closed.