Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi I am new and have questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,

A friend referred me to come to this website after I got diagnosed with arthritis and sacroiliitis on my spine. I am 34 and am a nurse. My back is mostly sore and still in the middle of the nite and in the am. I also have some shoulder pain which I don't know if that's related to my back problem. Anyways, my dr. suggested me to quit nursing as I cannot avoid lifting and bending my back and I found that hard to believe. I am trying to get a second opinion next week.

Anyone here was suggested to quit your profession? Did you listen or keep on going? I don't know what the consequences are if I hurt myself again. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Peggy
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry about your diagnosis. it sounds like you will not be having surgery. i have no surgical options either. i imagine you feel devasted by the thought of giving up your nursing. a frind of mine on the site is a nurse and had to stop. now she is working as a nurse but in a laser practice. she is so happy. :D she doesn't have to lift but still gets to work with patients. i hope that will give you some hope. :? it may look hopeless right now but you have lots of options. that is one of the best thing about being a nurse. your options are limitless. please make yourself at home and have a look around. we have a forum just for arthritis. stop by and check it out. if you are awake at night check out the "Sleep Problems" forum. I) i have sleep problems too and it can be good company at night. good luck and you are so wise to be getting a second opinion. i hope to see you around the forums! Jenny :)
  • Welcome.

It took me years to admit to myself that I had a back problem. I decided that I would have pain no matter what I did and so I may as well do what I do best.

Long story short, I have now had 3 surgeries.

If I could turn the clock back what would I do differently?

I alwys thought there'd be tomorrow and it would never happen to me but it has caught up with me.
    Now I'd put my health first over the job. Afterall, in time there will be another job. It may be supported it may be a whole new career.
    At the moment I just want to get thro a day, sit and eat a meal and do "normal" things without my back pian flooring me.

Listen to your body and rather than quit the job, see if you can find a nurse role taht is less demanding for a few years at least.
    Good Luck.
  • I also have arthritis in my facet joints. I have been dealing with it for 5 years now. I was a Property Manager which involved lots of sitting at a computer, walking and stairs. I was advised to stop and did not listen. Last year I had an endoscopic microdiscectomy for an annular tare that actually worsened my facet pain. That stopped me in my tracks. I have no option now since I can not sit, stand or walk for more than 20 minutes or so at a time. I would think that Jenny's suggestion would be a good one. If you can avoid the lifting and that is what is causing most of your pain than you should be OK. Maybe you should talk to your doc about another alternative in the same profession. You are so young and not working at all really does put a damper on your feelings of self worth. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.