Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dr. Eric Update

tonya42ttonya42 Posts: 810
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am glad to report that I got an email from Dr. Eric's daughter and that his surgery went well and he is recuperating in the hospital. She didn't mention how much longer he would be there but I will let you know when I hear from her again. For those of you who talked with Dr. Eric you know that his struggle was long and hard. I'm so very happy that he will soon be back offering us his support and advice. I am just so happy! I cannot begin to tell you how much his words of wisdom have meant to me and I know to others. I cannot wait for him to get back here.
For those of you who did not have the pleasure of communicating with him please make an effort to track him down on this forum and just listen to his story. I promise you you will be amazed, in awe and inspired by this sweet soul.
=D> =D> =D>
advertisement

Comments

• Thank you for the update!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi tonya42,
    I've been wondering every day since he went in for surgery if he came through it alright and how he is doing. Worrying would be a better word.
    He is such a great person and one of my buddies. Please let me know any info you get.
    Much appreciated, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • That's absolutely the best news in a long time!

Thanks Tonya.

"C"
  • That's great surgery went well. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yes I too have been wondering how he did and if he got to rehabilitate at home as he wanted.
    As long as he is being looked after that is all that matters.

Thanks Tanya

Blessings Sara O:)
  • They have evidently sent him to the Rehabilitation hospital that he so wanted to avoid. I will let everyone know when we can expect him to be back home. I suspect that the next email I get about his progress will be from him personally. He is such a determined person. :)
  • Dr Erics rehab hospital will be like mine which was wonderful. Very helpful and positive.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • I've been thinking about Dr Eric ever since I read one of his blogs. I hope and pray that he's on the road to recovery and doing well. Thanks for letting us know that the surgery went well.

Many hugs and prayers for Dr. Eric. Hope we hear from him soon.
  • That helps ease my mind. I had pictured some horrible place. Good to know that he's being looked after and cared for.
  • I received a message from Dr. Eric's daughter this morning. He will be coming home from the hospital today (Friday).

FANTASTIC ! ! !

Welcome home Eric!!!

"C"
  • Dr Eric if you see this tomorrow when you get home.
    Glad to see you out of there!!!! If you don't post for a few days I will see it when I get back from my surgery next week ;) Looking forward to hearing your experience and how things went for you. I HOPE you can feel some type of difference in the type of pain you had O:) O:) O:)
    Huggies
    Terri
    >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Thanks C. I hadn't checked my hotmail today. I don't know what to say. It's hard to type and cry too. They are joyful tears. Dr. Eric, I/we have really missed you and I can't wait until we can talk again. There were so many stories left unfinished that I really can't wait to hear the endings of. You were sorely missed.
    All of my best wishes to you and a speedy recovery. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • And tomorrow I'll probably be checking the who's online list all day. :0
  • Welcome home. C said that you were online for just a moment last night. Sorry I wasn't here to see it myself. >:D<
  • So very glad that you are home!

"C"
  • GLAD to see you online Dr. Eric!!!! >:D< :*
  • I got home around six hours ago, tried to sleep and could not resist checking in with all you "Fellow Travelers".
    Well girls and guys the good news is that there is hope for all of us, and the bad news is that there are still only one-way tickets.
    I found this poem on the net and I think it picks up most of my feelings right now on my first day HOME!!!!

ODE TO LIFE
    By M. Linda Steffey

The golden rays of Summer's haze
    Fill the wide, green fields of meadow
    And I see the deer and dove in peace
    At last...
    I spread my blanket on Mother Earth's
    Breast and lay my weary Soul near her
    Beating heart and listen to her birds
    Praise Your name!

Joy is in the living things of Nature!
    Joy bubbles in running brooks and
    Streams of Life....
    Love purrs in little cats who rest
    Warmly in a lap....
    Happiness leaps in dogs greeting
    Your return!
    I love the smell of horses!
    I thrill in their running
    Free and proud!

I delight in colors of ducks
    And butterflies and birds!
    Fascinating are the many voices
    Of creatures around me.
    A round pale moon fills the river
    With diamonds and it's light lays
    Softly on a sleeping Earth.

Hushed is wind on hot summer days.
    It speaks loudly in a storm!
    It sings in fur trees in springtime.
    It dances on crests of waves
    And roars through ancient canyons.

Mysteries of living things belong to
    God.
    They, too, are His children!
    They are connected to the Human Spirit.
    They sing to us in our dreams
    And fill us with wonder!
    Holy Father, Thy gifts are precious
    And beautiful!.....

What more can I say?
    Thanks to all of you for your interest in my wellbeing!
    We are a strong community, and together I think we can beat PAIN.

I learned one clear Lesson in the hospital.
    If you engross yourself in helping the girl/guy next to you, you feel no pain. And if you can ease the burden of that girl/guy just a tiny bit you feel ecstatic. Now that is a real working way to beat pain. It worked for me, and I hope it will work for you.

No Pain to all of you, Eric

• Congratulations on your surgery, you made it through the difficult part. I am 11 days out of my own 360 fusion and even though those first days are tough I am well. I pray for a speedy recover for you and all who have to deal with this test. We all get different tests in life and no matter who you are you will be tested. It seems the strongest get the most testing so we can help out others. Get well soon and do not be afraid to ask for help. Let others feel the joy of giving to you.
  • He is home. He is okay and in his own words he is "wiped out". I know he will appreciate all of the well wishes when he has the strength to be able to read all of the wonderful posts you guys have left for him.
  • :H :H I've been thinking about you as you went through surgery and started recovery. I hope that you are pain free soon. Your message, as always, was wonderful. You're right about helping others. There is no feeling like reaching out and helping somebody else.

Keep us posted on how you're doing! Glad you're home!! >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • That's wonderful news to get home even though you're weary. Thanks for the lovely poem and it truly is great to be alive although it's hard to keep going until we know that we're really cared for... No matter any minute of any day someone who you wouldn't even know hardly is thinking happy thoughts toward you. We keep going because we've inspired others in some little way for us but may be monumental to them. Get your rest Dr. Eric and see you around the posts, when you're ready. With warm regards from Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Dr. Eric,
    Welcome home. It is great to hear your doing so well. Thanks for taking the time to help those around you while you endure such horrific pain. I hope these next few days are as painless as possible. Take care.
  • Thanks Pika!
    Just woke up on my first morning home and found your post.
    Thanks for all the wisdom. Good stuff. Yes it is a test, but how to deal with that idea?! I just want to survive, and what I have to do is clear to me. I just have stay calm and deal with every minute.
    Love, Eric
  • Hi Charry!
    First morning home and very WEARY!
    Your post reminded me of this song and it's content:

Otis Redding Try a Little Tenderness Lyrics:
    [Verse 1:]
    Oh, she may be weary,
    Young girls, they do get weary,
    Wearing that same ol' shaggy dress, yeah, yeah.
    But when she gets weary,
    Try a little tenderness, yeah, yeah.
    Oh, yeah, yeah.

[Verse 2:]
    Mmm, you know she’s waiting,
    Just anticipating,
    For things that she'll never,
    Never, never, never possess, yeah, yeah.
    But while she’s there waiting without them,
    Try a little tenderness.
    (That's all you gotta do.)

[Bridge:]
    It's not just sentimental, no, no, no.
    She has her grief and care, yeah, yeah-yeah.
    But the soft words,
    They are spoke so gentle, yeah.
    It makes it easier, easier to bear, yeah.

[Verse 3:]
    You won’t regret it, no, no.
    Young girls they don’t forget it,
    Love is their whole happiness, yeah.
    But it’s all so easy.
    All you gotta do is,
    Try, try a little tenderness, yeah.

[Freeform:]
    All you've gotta do is, man,
    Hold her where you want her.
    Squeeze her, don't tease her,
    Never leave her.
    Get to her, you gotta, gotta,
    Find a little tenderness,
    Yeah, yeah-yeah-yeah.
    You gotta, nobody love her, man.
    Take this advice, man,
    You got to squeeze her,
    [ Find more Lyrics at www.mp3lyrics.org/gQ2 ]
    Don't tease her,
    Never leave,
    You got to hold her,
    Brother, somethin',
    Try a little tenderness,
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.
    You gotta rub against her, man.
    You gotta, gotta, got...
    Don't lose her.
    You've got to love her,
    Please her, don't tease her.
    Gotta, got na-na-na
    Try, try a little tenderness,
    Yeah.
    [Fade.]
    You gotta know what to do.
    Take this advice,
    You gotta love, please... [5]

[TRY A LITTLE TENDERNESS]
    [Written by: "Irving King [1] " & Harry M. Woods]
    [Performed by: Otis Redding [2] -1966 [3] ]

• Thanks for the kind post!

I had massive back surgery to resolve "complete Back failure Syndrome".
    I don't know exactly what the surgeon did but he told me I would not hurt when I got home. They actually stopped all meds during and after surgery. Cold turkey on 60 mg of Oxycontin per day and all the other pain pills that I managed to get my hands on.

My kids actually took away all pills as instructed by the surgeon,and the pain doc.
    At first I was really angry and yelled my kids, but they stood firm out of pure love. It was an amazing experience to slowly realize what the surgeon, the pain doc, my GP, and my kids did for me.

I have a house full of pills and I would not dare take one out respect for my children who were really there for me when I really needed them.
    My Son flew in from England, and when I was waking up he was kissing me non stop! Then they were with me every minute of the week in the Hospital.

It is time for my 100mg of Tramadex tramadol and I have pain but very little.

They gave me five pints of blood, so most of the chemicals were washed right out.

Thanks again, Eric
  • ive been following your post from day one and im so glad your home!!
    most importantly im glad you had that time with you family that was so so important and im so glad for you.

LOVE P
  • dr_eric said:

Mysteries of living things belong to
    God.
    They, too, are His children!
    They are connected to the Human Spirit.
    They sing to us in our dreams
    And fill us with wonder!
    Holy Father, Thy gifts are precious
    And beautiful!.....

I am so very happy to have you back here. Welcome home Dr. Eric. Welcome home.
  • Dr. Eric...I have been following your story..SO glad you are home and doing well! Keep up the good work =D>
  • So good to hear you in more chipper spirits. You should go back and read the first post you ever wrote and realize how far you have come. Its going to be a great story and not only will you feel better but it sounds like you are really connecting with your kids and will enter into a more wonderful relationship with them now that they don't have to see you miserable and in pain every day.

Keep recovering and enjoying life,
    LJ
advertisement