Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question on pain 2 months post op laminectomy

lheinzellheinze Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am 2 months post op after laminectomy lumbar decompressive multi level fusion. started physical therapy last wk and i still have alot of lower left back pain and hip and buttock pain. anyone else experience this? also the pt said my left side muscles are very tight.
any help would be great.
advertisement

Comments

• what to tell you because I am heading in that path, but not there yet. I am sorry that you are not feeling well :( .

There are a lot of people here that will give you some of their own input here though!!! ;)
  • Hi there. I am also experiencing muscles tightness, hip and leg pain 5 weeks post multi level laminectomy (L4, 5 and S1). Some days are better than others and pain, well not really pain, but more extreme soreness, tends to be worse at night. I find that lying on my back, with a pillow under my knees helps a bit, but also find that I need to adjust my position CONSTANTLY.

I know none of this really helps, but at least you know you are not alone.

best of luck.

jd
    Josh
  • i am still in constant pain with my lower back .its worse in the morning and when i twist or bend.my leg pain is bad in the morning and i have permanent foot and calf pain but the leg pain in general is better than before the operation ..my lower back however is a lot worse.i use an acticare unit {TENS} and i am on oxycontin and oxynorm
    STRAKER
  • First, there is a BIG difference between a fusion and a laminectomy regardless of how many levels are involved.

Two months out from a fusion is still very early in your recovery. Many surgeons will not begin physical therapy at this point. The surgical incision has barely had time to heal completely at eight weeks...and it will be months or longer before the fusion is well on its way to being complete.

It is very normal to still be experiencing all kinds of symptoms at 8 weeks...and this will continue for weeks or months more. Just when you feel you are making some progress in this regard, don't be surprised to wake up with a "new" symptom...and then panic because you think you've "done something" to the fusion. This, too, is very normal.

Regarding muscles being tight on one side, this is completely normal as well. When you are in pain, most people compensate by a shift in posture, favoring the one side. This results in muscle and ligament imbalance. This in turn can cause your pelvis to tilt. If your feet pronate at all, this too can cause a difference in the way you carry yourself, resulting in various tilting and torque in the knees, pelvis and hips. The body wants to be in balance and it will fight to find that balance. So if some muscles are stronger than others, your body will compensate to overcome this problem. This often results in muscle tightness, the shortening of ligaments on one side, etc. Your PT or a good bodywork/massage therapist should be able to help you with this.

Be sure you walk and rest, walk and rest. Walking is the best exercise to stretch out those nerves that are trying to recover from surgery. Use ice and/or heat. Be very aware of body mechanics and try to use good posture whenever you are sitting or standing. It is a lot to think about, but it really will help.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.