Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One Month Post 3 lvl ACDF with instrumentation

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My Mom called me last evening around 5 pm. She said , "Well around this time a month ago we were celebrating you just FINALLY getting out of recovery and into your room and that you were able to move your arm." Alot has changed! That was a scary day, surgery went twice as long as it should have. There were scary complications, including paralysis of my right leg. I stayed in the hospital 4 days longer than they originally thought I would. I couldn't swallow - even water. I couldn't talk. Fluid in my lungs. But I could move my arm!! :)
All is good now. My voice is still a little tweaky but you would only know if you heard me sing. Thankfully, that's not what I do for a living. So only my family gets the brunt of that! :))( My leg is completely recovered. My swallowing only gets caught up on stuff like bread, potatoes, stringy meats. AND I can still move my arm! ;)
So for those still in the first few days of recovery or coming up to...good things are ahead. Patience and walking, patience and walking. Oh and did I mention walking?
advertisement

Comments

• So glad you are doing better!!
    I am setting up a code with my hubby in case I cannot talk after my surgery :D LOL I realize though you had said this was your second surgery on your neck so it sounds like it was a little more risky. I am having mine on the 10th of December, seems like forever... I want to get this over with.
    I work as a CENA in a retirement home and I miss everyone there so much!! Gettin kinda cold to walk around these parts though, I live in Michigan.. knowin my luck I will slip on some ice!!! :O
    Well would love to chat... ;) CindySue
  • i am glad your leg and arm are better now. oh how i can relate to the swallowing issues. u might try or u already have tried cutting your meats into tiny tiny bites and everything else like bread and potatoes put extra butter, or sourcream, or mayo, etc.. i still remember the first hamburger i ate maybe 1 mon post op, i couldnt eat the bread either. i still use chewable vitamins because they are somuch easier to go down my throat. my wife evens makes a sandwich for me now that is always loaded with mustard, ketchup, and mayo. sloopy but it goes down easier. i hope u continue to have a fast recovery and i will pray that u do. btw cindy sue welcome to spine health and i hope uhave a sucessful surgery and a speedy recovery. i will prayfor u also.
  • Thanks so much Chele and stiff neck! This site is really a great place to browse around and meet others with similar things, a blessing indeed.
    Thanks again for the words of support!
    *HUGS* CindySue
  • Well I went in for my surgery, got all prepped had everything hooked up to me, the surgeon was like 4 hours late, so I was sleepin when he finally came in and asked me.. how my arm pain was, I told him my chief complaint has been upper back pain, that the arm pain is not even noticeable cause the upper back pain was so severe, the muscles are in knots and it has pulled my ribs out of place. He seemed to be dumbfounded and said If I was not having arm pain he should not do the surgery, told me he wanted me to go and see the physical therapist at his office, I was originally going to one near my home, and sent me home, I cried all the way home!! I then went to this PT and his jaw hit the floor and he said he had never heard of such a thing from a surgeon in all his years in this field, he went back to study my chart then came back with certainty in his voice saying my symptoms are typical to the damage in those three discs and he still cannot understand why he canceled it, he canceled therapy there and said to go back to the PT I was going to, that he could not do anything more for me.. is that not unreal or what??? He then said he would contact the doctor and get back to me, well I could not wait I called the surgeon the next morning and they set up a apt. for tomorrow to talk to him about it, and all I want to hear is that he is going to do the surgery! *SIGH*
  • I'm sorry that you were all mentally geared up for surgery and then didn't have it.
    Maybe it's a good thing you didn't have surgery that particular day if he was 4 hours late - you know??
    I sure hope things work out for you, surgery or not, just feel better!
advertisement