Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How Long Can A Nerve Root( C6 ) cause pain after surgery ?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello, Does anyone have an idea how long
it takes for a nerve root to recover after surgery? I was told, 1 inch per month. I had my surgery July 05 and I am still waiting for it to heal. I had a ACDF C5-C7 done. When I went in to surgery my right arm was the only arm giving me pain. Already dealing with a 10 pain level. But when I awoke both my arms hurt at level 10, were numb and hard to move and use very weak. I guess I had a big BIG BONE SPUR right in the middle of my C6 nerve root. Once the
nerve was released it went crazy! To this
day I do not feel like I had Surgery if I
did not know better that is. My question
is did this happenend to anyone else? I am fixed as far as Surgery goes but the nerve was a loss. I have been on the meds for the nerve they did not touch it
only caused a 30 to 50lb wt gain. Caused
depression and crying spells bad.

This what I am on now but all cost to much and I can't live like this forever
either.Cymbalta 60mg 2xam 1xpm, topamax 100 mg 1x am 1xpm, Avinza150mg 1xam 1xpm,
and norco q6hr/prn Then the BP pill an water pill. Back to normal weight what a mess. BECAREFUL with these drugs

advertisement

Comments

• Im guessing your surgery was July 2005? I would have to say that the nerve has done all it is going to do after this long. My surgery was Feb 2007 and I have been told by my surgeon I am where I will always be. I also have the nerve root problem at the same level as you. Have you had an EMG/NCV test done? If not you might want to get this test done, it will show more. As for your med's, that is a lot. I take neurontin and darvocet, no cymbalta for me. I do not do well with SSRI's so I stay away from it.

Sharon
  • Hi Sharon, I had the EMG/NCV done three
    months before surgery and 1year after
    surgery it showed the same chronic C6
    damage. I was put on gabapentin I gained so much weight it was nuts 50lbs. Very fast in 3 to 4 months I was crying 24/7
    I was so depressed I told my Drs this over and over it was a crazy time. After
    the EMG/NCV was done they listen!!!. Are you able to work?
  • I believe it is usually 6 to 12 months. The bad thing is sometimes some nerve damage can be permanent.
  • I was just awarded my social security disabilty. It took me 2 years and a lot of fighting. Social Security does look at nerve damage as part of their decision. As for the neurtontin or lyrica neither of those drugs caused me any problems. Ultram/tramdol caused me the most problems, I think it is the ssri in them. I felt better after I stopped them. I have a lot of nerve pain and am thankful that I can take the neurontin.

Sharon
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.