Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Average time to be on meds post-op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
Hi there,

What is the average time people are on meds post-op for an ACDF? I read posts that some poeple were fine after one- two days. Well, I started on Neurontin and it has helpd to some degree. I believe I still need Vicodin, especially as I become more active. The meds truly do not effect me mentally... they just help me be able to get up and move around. Otherwise, I wuld be stuck in a recliner most of the day.

My pain now is in my opposite shoulder, back of neck and hip where they took the bone graft. The incision on the front of my neck hurt the least! :) I am still in a Miami-J collar for 2-3 more weeks. I am allowed to take to off to eat and shower. I definitely feel pain without the collar.

Please share your experience X(
Elle
advertisement

Comments

• Of course there is no exact answer for that question. Your right but this goes for any surgery. Some on for a few days because their issue has been fixed and they feel the need not to use them. Some people weeks/months/years.
    Of course the golden rule is the pain meds help you get your PT in and walking so you need them in recovery.

I'v gone times where I did not think I needed them and OH BOY ended up paying for it trying to catch up with the pain which is very hard to do sometimes.

So it basically comes down to you and how your feeling.
    Cervical in 5/04 I was on for 3 months.
    Lumbar in 9/07 4 months
    Lumbar in 9/08 still on them, but through my PCP as my ortho does not want to perscribe anymore.
    LOVELY WORLD we live in #o ;) ;)

Hang in there I wish you continued sucess on your recovery >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Thank you Terry for taking the time to respond. You are always so helpful on this board! >:D<

I am much more active now that I am almost 3 weeks post-op and able to do more things. However, the more I do, the more pain I am in. I have cut-back on my pain meds most days. It's wonderful to finally feel some progress!

Have a great day,
    Elle