Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back braces

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
What kind of brace do/did you have and how long were you required to wear it?

I have the soft brace. Before my surgery, I was told that I would have to wear it for 2 months & at 1st post op visit (which was 5 wks after surgery), I was told that I need to wear it for 2 more months by another dr.

So how long was it for you?
advertisement

Comments

• I have the hard TSLO brace (clam shell, turtle shell, Madonna suit). My L5-S1 posterior fusion surgery was 8/21. I am still in my brace now, to be worn unless I am laying flat or in the shower. I think my OS is ultra conservative,lol. Maybe at my 14 week appointment, I will lose the brace, dont know yet. As of my 10 week appointment I had no fusion showing. We will see.

Take Care,
    Shell
  • I had the TLSO brace as well. I had it for 8 weeks, then weaned over the next 2 weeks. Once out of it I have had a lot of new pains in my upper back and SI joints. Guess my muscles got lazy and my joints stiff from being in that thing. All docs are different for sure. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • My Dr doesn't believe in using braces as it makes the abdominal muscles slack. He prefers his patients to start doing abdo exercises to build up the core strength right from the start.
    Each Dr is different.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • 12 weeks here my doc was conservative but told me I could take it off to sleep, shower and sit....only problem was that I couldn't sit comfortably without it. It took me a loooong time to wean off of it but I think I needed that support to heal due to my hypermobility.
  • Kristie:

I had a TLIF and had a flexible brace, not the hard "turtle" shell. I had to wear it when I was up and walking the first 6 weeks, I fused at 6 weeks. I also had to wear it the first 6 months when I was out in the car. I have noticed that many are advised to wear their brace until fusion is complete.

Ellen
  • ... my 1st post-op follow-up yesterday. The last question I asked him was how long should I wear my brace (soft brace given to me before I left the hospital - I also purchased the brace that Lo recommended. Great brace!!). The surgeon told me that I could quit wearing it as soon as I was ready. I tried taking it off for most of yesterday and sleeping last night without it and I must admit, the compression from the brace feels really good.
  • Immediately after surgery, I had a hard TLO brace. At my 5 1/2 week appointment, I was switched to a soft corset brace.

Today I am at 13 weeks - had an appointment with my surgeon this morning and he said I can stop wearing the brace, though it may be best to wean myself off it over the next several weeks.
  • is that really hurt??Spinal Braces visit this site search about
    Spinal Braces,
    :jawdrop:
  • Kristie said:
    What kind of brace do/did you have and how long were you required to wear it?

I have the soft brace. Before my surgery, I was told that I would have to wear it for 2 months & at 1st post op visit (which was 5 wks after surgery), I was told that I need to wear it for 2 more months by another dr.

So how long was it for you?

for now i don't experience for that kind of injures,but if you like to know some idea or info just research in other site related to back braces,
  • It is certainly interesting to see how differently various surgeons view the brace issue. I have a turtle shell brace which I am still to wear at 4 months unless reclining, sleeping or in the shower. Today I have xrays again and hopefully the dr. will tell me I can ditch the brace!
  • As I have said countless times, I am amazed at how each doctor has treated each patient in this forum. This includes, surgical procedures, length of hospital stays, pain medications, getting started with physical therapy, and back braces, types and whether to use one at all. As for me, my doctors were similar to yours. I wore a turtle shell brace 18 weeks after my last surgery. My doctors actually called the brace "a fusion brace". Yes it helped with support but it also promotes and speeds up fusion.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • My doctor said no brace for me and I'm really not sure why. Going for my Pre-OP Surgeon visit today with a big list of questions so hopefully everything will be answered.
  • I have never heard the term "fusion brace" - I wonder how that works to speed up fusion? Did your doctor say? Just curious because I have had this "brace/no brace" discussion with a friend I will see this week - her surgeon told her braces were "old school" and made no difference. My surgeon, on the other hand, swears by them. On the other hand, her doctor prescribed extensive PT continuing for several months after surgery while mine prescribed 1 month of pool therapy starting at 6 weeks post surgery. I have chosen to do more PT because I think it helps but the surgeon said it was not necessary.

Did you fuse before you were told you could stop wearing the brace?

(I guess medicine is a bit like education - we educators certainly don't agree on the best way to run a school or teach math, etc. etc etc!)

Meg
  • When I was told to wean myself from the brace in Mid-August, I was fusing nicely. I got the all fused news in late October.

I say they called it a "fusion brace"(even though it was your run of the mill turtle shell brace) because it promotes fusion. The more you wear it, the better chance of fusion. However, I wore it for 8 straight months after my 2006 emergency surgery and achieved no fusion.

As for physical therapy, I was in it 4 days after being released from the hospital. I wore the brace for most of each visit doing treadmill walking, weights for the upper body, and various stretching exercises. The only time I had it off is when the therapists (2) had me lay face down on a table and tried to stretch my hip flexor muscles. I should warn anyone, the longer your in a turtle shell brace, the tighter your hip flexors get and they pull you over into a stooped position.

Turtle shell braces are made fitting each client(victim) and should not be bought through some internet site of catalogue.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,733
    You will read posts that describe the different type of braces they were in and for how long. And you read other posts that say that they had no brace.
    There are many variables involved here:
    1) What type of surgery was done
    2) Where it was done
    3) What was the outcome of the surgery
    4) What is the general practice your doctor has

I think #4 is the one that will show you the most varied
    actions. Some doctors swear by a back brace after surgery, some indicate that it only will weaken you some place else.

Then add another variable, time
    My first lumbar surgery (non fusion) was done in 1978. Standard procedure then was a corset type back brace with all sorts of straps. Had to wear it for almost 5 months.
    Same doctor 8 years later, didnt believe in any back braces.

Its hard to come up with one rigid answer here. But that is pretty much par for the course when it comes to spinal conditions. Not every situation is the same, so therefore the resolutions will be different. How things are handled separates how and what is being done.

The main thing is that your medical professional who is handling your situation, completely understands you, and knows what is best for you given the circumstances.
    And that there major objective is to see you get well and to continue without any pain.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement