Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any last min. suggestions? My sister Debbe goes for TLIF on Wed.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone, and thank you all for your other replies.
My sister Debbe is going in for her TLIF L4-L5, with autograph in two days and as you all must know she is VERY NERVOUS!
Does anyone have any last minute suggestions for in the hospital or for the ride home other than a plastic bag for the seat so she can slide easily without twisting? The hospital is 45 minutes away.
Or any suggestions for when she first comes home?
I already got her a raised toilet seat with arms, a shower chair, a reacher, and a small table with adjustable height to keep next to her bed. All suggestions are much appreciated.
Will she be laying on her back right after surgery?
Does any one know how long after surgery can she sit at a desk and for how long? I guess they"ll give us instructions when she's discharged, I just thought I'd ask. Again I thank you all for your time.
Marina
advertisement

Comments

• Your sister will probably have a restriction/recommendation for sitting from her doctor when she comes home. I was told I could sit for four 15 minute periods per day, he said the only time I should be sitting straight up would be while eating. I have seen some people on here post about sitting up 10 minutes per hour also. The doctors all have different recommendation. Since then that has gradually increased, but the doctor still told me I should be laying down more that sitting up.

The only other thing I made sure I had was sturdy flat slip on shoes that fit good. Slippers are great, but can fit lose and cause you trip and fall. It was difficult for me to push my foot into a sneaker, and of course I couldnt tie them,lol.

Also you may want to remove throw rugs from the floor, these rugs make it very easy to trip. Walkers and dragging feet tend to get stuck on the edges.

Your sister is lucky to have help. You guys will do fine.
    Take Care,
    Shell
  • Marina, it is so nice that you are looking after your sister and getting all this info to help her out. My sister took care of me after my surgery as well. A couple things I couldn't have done without was a satin baby blanket, used as a bed pad under me, it helped to turn easily. Others have used satin bottom sheets for the same purpose. I also needed a scrubby on a stick for showering and a hand held shower sprayer, as tipping my head back brought on terrible spasms in my back. I used a wicker basket on my nightstand for all my meds, and of course a notepad to write down when I took them. My sis used to call or text me to remind me when my meds were due so I would wake up to take them. It is important to keep on a schedule with the meds the first couple of weeks. Give your sister lots of hugs >:D< from us at SH, she is so lucky to have you. Let us know how she does. :) Cali-Sue
  • Lots of pillows and ice packs! I tucked pillows all around me in bed, on the couch and in the recliner and used ice packs to help with pain relief.

I did not expect to use a walker but they sent me home from the hospital with one and was I glad. I felt so much more confident walking with it - especially when I was a bit woozy from pain meds. Moving furniture and rugs to make a clear path for the walker was important.

I was not comfortable lying on my back for several weeks after surgery. Sitting after surgery is, I think, hard for most people. Sitting even long enough to eat was difficult for the first month - I found I could manage about 15 minutes sort of sitting in the recliner and ate there. My brace helped some with sitting. Will your sister have a brace?

Make sure she has her clothes and other items she will need on a daily basis at a level where she can easily reach them without bending.

For the first couple of days I was home I found it difficult to turn over without help - I would sort of get stuck and have to get my husband to help me. It was actually easier to get up and get back in bed lying on the other side than to roll over. A friend who had fusion surgery told me she had the same problem. Just letting you know so you can anticipate your sister's possible need for help.

Keep us posted on how your sister is doing!

• Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
    She already has a sheet to put under herself and extra pillows.
    She is going to borrow mom's walker.
    I don't know about a scrubby on a stick, I'll ask her.
    The doctor did say she would have a soft brace that I think she will get at her follow up visit.
    Thanks for your good wishes.
    Marina

• Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
    She already has a sheet to put under herself and extra pillows.
    She is going to borrow mom's walker.
    I don't know about a scrubby on a stick, I'll ask her.
    The doctor did say she would have a soft brace that I think she will get at her follow up visit.
    Thanks for your good wishes.
    Marina
  • Thank you for your reply and suggestions, it is much appreciated.
    Marina
advertisement