Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Golfers Out There?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Just got home from level one ACDF surgery. All is going well. I'm one of the lucky ones....no pain medication used in the hospital and I'm pain free at this moment. Just experiencing soreness around the throat/incision but nothing major.

I play golf and would like to know what timeframe is realistic for returning to the links? I will ask my doctor on my first post op appointment, but was wondering how long it took others to go to the driving range, etc. Thanks in advance. :H
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there fellow golfer!

I had my surgery (3-lvl C4-7 w/hardware) on Oct. 21. I chose this date because my doc said that with surgery and physical therapy, I should be back on the links by April. =D> All is going well so far (but don't know how I'm fusing yet), so I plan on playing my first 9 holes in the spring (just to warm up ;) ).

I have been putting on my hard collar and riding with my husband for 9 holes while he plays and enjoy just being outside. I think 18 would be just a bit too much, tho. [(

With your 1-lvl and (~fingers crossed~) with everything going well, I'd think you'd be back on there before me! :D

Here's to healing!
    Cath
  • Hi Cath. Sounds like you are progressing well from your surgery. I guess from here it is all about fusion taking place. My first follow up is December 1st. I know I won't know anything about fusion for several months.

I would love to be able to hit balls in May. However, I won
    't consider it unless my NS feels it is totally safe. Do you have any problems riding in a golf cart so soon after surgery?

I wish you the best on your recovery. :H

Jim
  • I agree with you and I won't consider golfing until my NS says it's ok also.

I haven't had any problems riding in the cart. As I said, 9 holes seem to be the max for me. I also wear my hard collar to stabilize my neck and my husband drives very carefully so as not to make the cart get too rough.