Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Perm scs battery pack trouble

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Management
HI,

I have had this issue since my perm scs was implanted in July, so I am 4 mo post op and my battery/generator pack still sticks way out. It is implanted above my left butt cheek. It seems to be tilted way out, I would guess 1/2 -1 inch. It has gotten caught on my pants and hit on the chair, things like that. When I 1st asked the DR about it, he blew it off and said it would be a nuisence, but I have to live with it for the rest of my life. Plus it does hurt, kind of like a bruise. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, can it be fixed? I am hoping someone can advise me. I have a call into my Dr about it also.

Thank you for your help everyone!!!

Take care
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Jeni~
    The battery pack for my scs is implanted about a hand-width above my left hip. I have noticed that one side of it pokes out a bit too. It does feel like it's bruised, maybe just a bit tender, around the edge that pokes out. My doctor said that the part that pokes out a bit is perfectly normal, as well as the slight tenderness. I wondered if I had worn an ACE bandage over it as it was healing, if it wouldn't have poked out like it does, but I'll never know. If the tenderness is more than you feel is normal, perhaps MORE than just tenderness, you should have it checked out to make sure that it hasn't become infected in there. I believe someone on here had trouble with some kind of infection and had to have it removed (NOT TO ALRAM YOU, JUST TO INFORM YOU). Hope this helps you a bit...
  • Mine stuck out a tad for a while and then after about the 2nd or 3rd month it began to lay flat.

I hope your doc is able to help you out.

"C"
  • Hi, how far does your stick out?
    Does anyones lay flat? My DR kind of ignored me about it, so I wonder maybe it is just normal? Mine is a good 1/2 - 3/4 inch.
    Anyone else out there with is please let me know,

Thanks again!!
  • It doesn't stick WAY out and it doesn't get caught on anything like they way you described yours doing. From what my doc told me, it is normal. When you go in for your next check up, if you are still concerned with it, ask again. You might even be able to find out from your rep if that is what he/she sees with the implant.
  • I have to poke around in order to feel my battery. That was one of my biggest challenges the first few times I charged, because I had trouble feeling it.

I think it would drive me nuts to have the battery sticking out of me. I'd always be worrying about it getting damaged :SS

• hi, mine sticks out at the top.It doesn't get caught on anything but sometimes it feels like it would.Be careful not to push around on it to much as you can flip it.Maybe ask the doc to check for that too.I have no problem finding mine to charge it, I just have a hard time charging it.It takes me 2 to 3 tries to get a full charge.weird huh?Good luck
  • HI,
    I saw the Dr today, he said that my battery pack does need to be fixed. He said he would either try to keep it where it is but go deeper, or end up having to move it to a new spot. Has anyone ever had this done? I am not sure what I am in for, he doesnt explain things very well.
    Please let me know if anyone has had this done.

Thanks!!
  • Hi Jenni~
    I haven't had to have mine removed or moved, but if it needed to be done, I wouldn't hesitate. It doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal to do if you think about it. He will either have to make the pocket deeper, to put the battery in, or maybe just move it to a new site. The help that the scs gives you, should far outweigh the inconvenience of the procedure.
    Hang in there! It will get fixed up for you and you will be good to go!

How is it working for you? Are you getting good pain relief? Have you got yourself used to the "tingling sensation" from the scs?
  • Hi Jenni~
    I haven't had to have mine removed or moved, but if it needed to be done, I wouldn't hesitate. It doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal to do if you think about it. He will either have to make the pocket deeper, to put the battery in, or maybe just move it to a new site. The help that the scs gives you, should far outweigh the inconvenience of the procedure.
    Hang in there! It will get fixed up for you and you will be good to go!

How is it working for you? Are you getting good pain relief? Have you got yourself used to the "tingling sensation" from the scs?
  • I am interested in this thread and will follow it because I will be having my trial Dec. 4th, and may end up with the permanent placement. My question is: I am "butt-challenged", as in, I don't have much of one. lol Lots of extra cushion in my abdomen and some on my hip area, but the lower you go down, the less I have. Kind of like a golf tee, but not that bad. Just trying to give a visual. lol

I am glad to that the one I am getting, the ANS Eon Mini (hopefully) is 18cc, over twice as small as the former one, which was 40cc. I've been trying to picture where they might implant, and the programmer told me over the phone nthat until she sees me, she couldn't tell me.

Do most people have them implanted in their upper hip, or abdomen? Is it helpful to have more of a "booty"? Or doesn't matter?

I hope your issues get fixed and the pain resolves. I can only imagine the pain with it sticking out improperly.

Hope I worded this appropriately! Thanks. Cheri
  • :))( 8} ;) :P :H /:)
    To my friends on this new topic. It just happens I also have a BIG concern about the location of my implant. I have made an appointment with the neurosurgeon, although officially released from his care. December 4th will be a whopping 4 months post-op. I have a lot of pain, depending on the way I sleep because of it's location, the pain is very specific but it affects the whole side of my rear-end. My last PM visit, I tried to explain to them what’s going on with the extra pain but they brushed if off like it was not in their scope of work or responsibility. They suggested that they were focused on my original concerns and anything else, the 'other' doctor should deal with. So if you want to see my pictures send me your email address to forward to, it looks like we cant sent a PM with attachments. My wife took them last month and I would like to compare with what each of you have. I look forward to further discussion regarding this issue because I truly think it's an oversight by our doctors...

Bobby

• i just had my perm ScS implanted a week ago and personally i can already say im just a little puffy where the staples still are but from what my wife tells me you really cant see the stim pack at all. (i know i know shes my wife she has to tell me that :))( but honestly i cant feel it either. but ill let ya know in a week or so when i get my staples out. But my 2c , if you dont like it, tell them to fix it, if they wont find someone better who will. From what i understand there supposed to JUST be noticeable by a small bump. sorry i cant be more help
  • I had my permanant ANS EON implanted on Feb 2008 and mine too sticks out way to much(looks like a can of snuff)..It's always snagging on something and I'm worried that I'm going to cause damage to it..
    I also have pain/discomfort around the area so much that I cant sleep on it and I'm having trouble wearing jeans because its right on my belt-line..

My Dr acknowledges the problem and we are trying to work on a solution with the insurance co to switch out the battery pack with a thinner unit..

The SPS has done wonders on my pain going down my legs but has done nothing for my low back pain and the pain where they removed bone to lay the paddle in my upper back still bothers me..

Another problem I have been facing is that when I turn it off with the magnet and then go to turn it back on the magnet will not work..I have to then use the remote..
    Anyone else having the same problem??
advertisement