Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ablation did nothing but, give me more stiffness

ellineellin Posts: 188
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
OK Please I know this is a bit long. Had injections in the back, neck, had the ablation in lower back, and neck and I have had a really bad year with all this. My dog even died a few months ago (I wish I could have a ladder to climb to heaven and bring him back to me) I had the ablation done on the back and worked well for 3 months neck did not have the luck I had with the pain level of 1 for the 3 months. I just was in the hospital first for 8 days came home and back again for 7 appendix out and on it goes. Now my back is killing me and my neck well it is a stiff cookie. I have used heat pad for both, ben-gay, lidoderm patches, and some pain meds. Well, thought I better call the PM Dr. and I get a call telling me that the Dr. said I am done. WHAT???? I said what do you mean? She said the Dr. said that if the ablation did not hold for at least 6 months their is nothing else he can do for me. Ok so, I just like deal with this pain??? I need all the termoil in my life with my health to stop!! I am now on Blood pressue meds. because my blood pressure is really high most likly form the pain. I never had high blood pressure. I am only 48 I will be 49 Jan what will I be like in years to come. Ok I better stop. I am going to go to another PM Dr. to at least get some injections. I can't tell him anything tho or he will not do them. I know you are only allowed so many but, They sell the pill forms of the same meds they inject so, I will have to see. At least I will have some relief. Maybe it will only take one trip to the Dr. because the nerves are burned I hope. What do you all think. And sorry it was long. I told you tho. :H Bye guys
advertisement

Comments

• I am also going to another pain management Dr. soon. I don't know if they ask about other previous injections and treatment. I think there is a limit to the injections every year but not sure what they are. I'm wondering if you're taking enough pain medications. Can you review that with your GP? Sorry about your puppy, it's always sad to lose our pets. I still have dreams of my cat from 1989! Good dreams, happy memories. Take care Ellen. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • They say the limit is 6 a year. I think most because of the ins. will not pay most of the time. My ins. does not have a cap on them so I am lucky their. I do not want to take the pain meds all the time, that is a bummer. I need to work and the pain pills get me high stomach sick feeling and I am working with pt's myself. I just hope and pray something works here. I was with ice all night did take pain pill and slept good now in the same boat with the pain and need to go to work. My goosh. Well better get going
  • I had a tremendous amount of stiffness as well as cramping in the area. The stiffness lessened by after the first week.

They had to do all 4 vertebrae at the same time because that's the only way my insurance would pay. (Have read some posts where people are blaming the doctors, but it may be the insurance company.) The doctor's preference is to do only 2 vertebrae at a time for me.

Have had a TREMENDOUS amount of pain and cramping with some burning and numbness in the area and around my lower head and neck, but have been trying to be patient to let the area heal.

After 6-8 weeks, if not substantially better, then I'm going to ask to go to physical therapy. Here's my background and what I've done after reviewing posts on here, with my doctor's assistance:

I have had migraines, but mostly treated with SPG blocks (6 total) and ablations (2 total) completed mid-December 2011, then my vertigo went totally nuts on me, so I went back. The first cervical block stopped the vertigo completely, so proceeded with one more then ablation.

Post-procedure about 1 week, after done with the hydrocodone, started taking Flexeril, prednisone, fioricet, and phenergan daily, every morning everything but predisone as needed for pain. (Am dosing down now from the prednisone and don't take fioricet at night, as it contains caffiene.)

Also took:
    1. Sprix, the new torodol nose spray, but only had one day's dose left and it is not covered by insurance, so haven't taken any more, but it worked really well. (Had used for migraines in the past)
    2. The new famotidine plus ibuprofen pill called something like Duexix, which worked ok but increased my nausea after using 4-5 days.
    3. Melatonin to sleep. Even before I started the prednisone, I was unable to sleep becauce of pain and discomfort.
    4. Anti-acid like fematodine at least daily.
    Also using Arnica cream, Aspercreme, and Zim's Max-Freeze (like Bio-Freeze) on the area. Heat and ice sometimes help too, but not as much as the creams.
    Had one TENS treatment that helped as well, but just haven't had the time to do more.

I am taking WAY more medicine than I ever have, but at least it is working to help me be more functional, whereas the migraine meds (imitrex, axert) always seemed to make me worse.

What I'm wondering is if others are experiencing a lot of nausea after the procedure? I can touch certain places on the back of my head and neck and get nauseated. Of course if I lay on those areas or sit with pressure on those areas, I get nausea too.
    (Why I'm taking phenergan.)

Also, have others suffered from vertigo and had the upper neck ablations stop it? (This has been an amazing result for me because I have an inner ear problem that the ENT said there was no treatment for.)