Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Similar to Loose Screw Post, but Sharp Pain One Week After Surgery - Concerned

AJdaBuldogAAJdaBuldog Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey all, I'm the baseball newbie who tried to put his head through the left field fence a couple of weeks ago and had surgery last Monday (11/10/08).

All week I felt great (meds working, nothing in particular causing concern).

However, today, after reaching up to brush my hair after a shower (with my brace on), I felt 'movement' in the C7 area where I had the ACDF/allograph/plate. Since then, lifting my right arm causes pain and there is actual sharp pain to the touch on the right side of that vertebra (7) on my spine.

I'm the last to be concerned about rehab and working through injuries (played ice hockey in college...pain threshold is high...), but can anyone explain some of the symptoms that have led to 2nd surgeries or the lack of an allograph to fuse (which, at this point is m greatest fear)?

Thank you!
advertisement

Comments

• AJdaBuldog said:
    Hey all, I'm the baseball newbie who tried to put his head through the left field fence a couple of weeks ago and had surgery last Monday (11/10/08).

All week I felt great (meds working, nothing in particular causing concern).

However, today, after reaching up to brush my hair after a shower (with my brace on), I felt 'movement' in the C7 area where I had the ACDF/allograph/plate. Since then, lifting my right arm causes pain and there is actual sharp pain to the touch on the right side of that vertebra (7) on my spine.

I'm the last to be concerned about rehab and working through injuries (played ice hockey in college...pain threshold is high...), but can anyone explain some of the symptoms that have led to 2nd surgeries or the lack of an allograph to fuse (which, at this point is m greatest fear)?

Thank you!
    Well they say one of my screws r loose, always getting bad jokes on that, dr. said not to worry,i had lower back surg on nov 06, stupid me went back to work in 3 months Dr. ok it. 9 months later worse from all the driving, now i have worse prob, i have to do a Reconstructive surg!!You really have to take it easy, learn from me!! the first 3 weeks or so r a bytch!! did you have a follow up visit, they should do an x-ray then,i know the pain feels worse than before but it will get better!!be positive look the first Surg fused me but left BONE out one big empty space no-one can tell me why, and the one of the disc that was bad he didnt fix,, but it took 6 months of test to find that out!! i just want to do the Surgery aaaaaand get better just go on with my life!! you r very active you will be fine, i walk 6 days a week on the treadmill believe it or not it helps the pain,, but sunday i was walking in the mall.. so much pain go figure!! i had a L-4 L5 S-1 fusion with rods and screws!! but now i gotta do it all over again!! take care of your self GO CUBS!!! lol lol
  • Can't answer your question since I don't have an ACDF, but hope you are feeling better soon. One good thing about surgeons, is that they expect to get calls on things like this, so maybe give yours a call and see what he has to say?

"C"
  • First, the important stuff. As far as the Cubs go, I couldn't be happier as a Giants fan when Dusty blew the Series for you several years ago...the year before he took Russ Ortiz out, who had been pitching great, gave him the GAME BALL, with four outs to go to win the World Series, and of course we lost the game and the series. ...I'm not bitter or anything...

I went in to the doctor today and when I told him I was having sharp pain, he pointed where it was without me telling him and told me to expect some radiating pain down my right arm for several months. He said to use ice, warmth (and eventually exercise) and it is something that will go away.

The "slipping" feeling may have just been in my head. I just have a fear of getting back onto the operating board and having to wake up to them telling me to breath when I'd rather go to sleep. That was the scary part...

I took X-rays today and I haven't heard back from him (which is probably a good thing).

I've taken it more easy today and I feel better. Pain reoccurred in that areaa and I iced it, followed by heat. It's seemed to have done the trick.

I was positive I had a screw loose, but that was confirmed before this accident...

Thanks both. Good to talk to you C. Hope you're doing well.

AJ
  • What a relief! Glad that you were able to get in to see the doc so that he could ease your mind. It's amazing what our minds can conjure up, when we hurt or feel something we've never felt before. The fact that he was able to point right to where you hurt without you telling him, is cool. I'm glad that you decided to take it easier.

Things are cool here, thanks for asking.

"C"
advertisement