Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anti-Inflammatory Meds

MarkRMMarkR Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I forgot to mention in my 3 month update post that my surgeon said I could start taking anti-inflammatory meds such as Advil or Aleve. The main purpose is to relieve inflammation that is probably the root cause of my current pain.

I was surprised, but he said it will not be a problem. He said 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and 2 at night, but only when needed.
advertisement

Comments

• Your surgeon sounds like mine ;)
  • I'm 6 mths. out and surgeon just approved me to use Motrin.....I'm 2/3 fused but scared it will cause the fusing to slow down or stop. Anybody have any info on this?
  • I had spondylolisthesis so I had a fusion. A few weeks after the surgery, I felt the need to get off the good stuff since I had to return back to work after 6 weeks. So I called the doctor office and asked what I can take instead of percocet. They said Motrin. I reminded them that I had a fusion and they said they know that. I told them what all that I am hearing about ibuprofen and fusing and they said that it doesn't make sense. So I called the surgeon and talked with him about it. Neither my doctor office or surgeon office understand why other doctors are saying that it will slow down the fusing. they understand why not to take it for a few weeks after surgery for healing purposes but they do not see how it can effect the fusing process.
    Since I joined this website, I have seen so many posts like this. Wondering about the effects of ibuprofen and fusing. I can say that I took ibuprofen a month after surgery, I am now 7 months post op and almost all the way fused. I had no problems with it.
    It would be nice for a medical professional to post something on this website about this topic. Why some Dr's say one thing and some say another.
  • yah . . .let's get a doc to clarify the use of anti inflammatories and the use of cervical collars.

let's start a thread on THINGS WE NEED CLARIFIED AND ADVICE ON REGARDING FUSION.
  • Your body needs to have an inflammatory response in order to grow new bone. Inflammation results in the production of prostaglandins, which in turn stimulate osteoclasts and osteoblasts (the cells that resorb and build new bone) to come to the site of healing.

NSAIDS block the production of prostaglandins, so in theory could delay bone healing because it would reduce the types of cells needed to grow new bone. This has been shown to be the case in laboratory settings and in animal studies, but there haven't been any good human studies to prove or disprove this "theory".

So I guess it depends on if your doctor chooses a treatment plan based on medical theory, or if he/she wants hard proven clinical trials and studies to support their medical advice. But we all know those aren't fool-proof, either. Just look at all the FDA-approved drugs that have gone through millions of dollars of clinical trials and still end up getting recalled.
advertisement