Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
:''( I had a endoscopic micro discectomy at L2 on Friday. I was discharged home on Saturday. I was told my surgery went well but the disc was a bit difficult to dislodge and they had to do some tugging to get it dislodged from the nerve root. I was pain free when I woke up but as the marcaine wore off the soreness set in. By the eveningof the night I was discharged, I was having significant spasms across my hip going around into my goin and down my thigh. By midnight that night I was screaming with pain from the spasms. My husband finally called 911 the next morning when he couldn't get me to the bathroom. I somehow made it to the toilet and when I sat the spasms were so severe that I was crying nonstop and could not move. The rescue squad guys had to lift me off the toilet, straightened me out, and doing that caused the spasms to ease. As long as I didn't move I was okay. In the ER they gave me IV valium and kept me there 7 hours repeating the dose by mouth until I could get up and walk without too much pain. Once I could walk they sent me home on lots of drugs.
Now I am home taking muscle relaxants and pain medicine around the clock. It's post-op day 4 and I still have mild spasms. I am drugged up and zoned out. My question is this....has this happened to anyone else and will I end up going to the Betty Ford Clinic to detox by the time I get better from the spasms? I am so disappointed. I thought I was going to be all better and here I am in worse shape than I was before I started out. Can someone please tell me what the hell is going on? :''(
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are certainly having a tough time of things. maybe now that you are home you can take your meds, relax and let things start to heal. :? it is normal to have some pain, after all your body was cut into and messed with inside. i have not had your particular problem but we do have pain in common. your doctor will be able to take you off your meds in a safe way. that is really a small problem if at all. you need to focus on healing and if your pain persists call your doctor or go back to the ER. good luck!! keep us informed! Jenny :)
  • My problems are different (cervical) as was my surgery but i just wanted to give you some words of encouragement. First, it's normal to have pain and spasms after the surgery - they should have told you that. It is going to take some time for everything to heal. That said, have to talked to the Dr. that did the surgery? Make sure (s)he knows what's going on. And don't worry about becoming addicted to the medications. The Drs. will tell you that the chance of addiction is very small when narcotics are used under proper medical supervision. Good luck.
  • I am sorry you are in such terrible pain. I think the spasm for me are the worst! As long as I am walking around I actually feel pretty good but when I sit or lay the trouble soon begins. I would'nt worry much about the meds, they are necessary at this point. I just took mine for 5 days and stopped. Wish now I had more!
  • amp- hi and glad you found the site. I would call the surgeon's office and see what the dr says. I think having to go to ER by 911 is bad and I think the dr needs to check you out. It may be necessary to take some meds but I would check in with the dr. I wonder if the dr prescribed PT or gave some limitations post op. It sounds like the ER gave the meds so I would get in to see the dr about all the post op problems and pain..jade
  • I had endoscopic microD last december and literally thought that I would die before recovering. I have been through alot but have never been in such severe pain. My microD was radical meaning that most of my disc was removed. I could not even lift my right leg for about 4 months. I was so unprepared for my recovery because I, just like you was told that the surgery would be a piece of cake. I can't figure out why these docs don't prepare you for the worst case scenario. I could have done so much better had I been prepared not to be able to use bathroom or shower or anything else by myself. I really do feel for you. But, hang in there. That nerve that was compressed and then aggravated with all of the tugging and twisting will take some time to heal. It will get better with healing. Try and follow docs orders and remember not to try and push too hard if you find that you are having a "good" day. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Hi Jenny,
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am doing better now that I have been taking the muscle relaxers around the clock. I am weaning myself from the narcotics. Because I cannot take Ibuprofen, which is the best drug in the world for inflammation and postop pain (it gives me ulcers), I have to rely on the percocet. But having people like you answer my question and give me encouragment REALLY has helped. THANKS!!! :H
  • JBfromCa, you are right, no one told me I would be having pain and spasms after surgery. It came as a total surprise. I thought I would be a little sore and would be all better in a few days.It just goes to show you how important getting good information BEFORE you go into surgery is. But I was in so much pain before surgery I wasn't paying too much attention. I just wanted the pain gone. So it was partly my fault that I didn't research what was going to happen to me. I was kiddng about the Betty Ford clinic. I haven't a clue how anyone would want to feel so spacey from those narcotics. I feel like a zoombie when I take them.I would much rather be laughing and dancing than being zoned out on drugs. THANKS for your reply. Anne
  • bdi_austin,
    I am taking your advice and moving more. Now that the muscle relaxers are working for me I am doing better. The spasms were the worse thing I have ever experienced.Now I am just achey-sore and have an occasional sharp pain where the nerve goes around my hip. I am on post-op day 5 so that makes me think I am turning the corner. I am actually weaning myself from the narcotics and just going with the muscle relaxers. Thanks for your advice. Anne
  • Hi Jade,
    Boy, am I glad I found this site too!
    I didn't have a choice in calling 911. My poor husband was beside himself. He didn't know what else to do because the muscle spasms were such that they wouldn't break and I was screaming.It wasn't until the rescue squad guys lifted me up and straightened me out that the spasms stopped. I couldn't stand up. The only thing that controlled the spasms was the iv valium. So the trip to the ER got my doctors at my bedside right away. I had my surgery at a medical center and the resident who assisted with my surgery was on call that morning so she actually saw for herself what was going on with me. As bad as it was, going to the ER in an ambulance, the end result was the right treatmen;, stronger muscle relaxants and round the clock narcotics. That was on Sunday and now it's Wednesday and I am so much better. It was a total nightmare not being able to stand up or sit down without going into spasms. I will never forget it.
    So I think now when I go for my post op visit in two weeks I will have a list for them of the things they need to tell their patients and highly recommend muscle relaxers as part of the post-op regime. I had endoscopic surgery, which is a relatively new procedure being done at my hospital so I am probably one of the bad patients who had all the complications that CAN, but don't usually, go along with this surgery. Of course, I would be the trouble maker.
    Thank you Jade for answering my blog. It's comforting to know there are others out there who can relate. Anne
  • Geez, 4 months! Not being prepared for all this bad stuff is the worst.Plus I thought I was tough and could tolerate lots of pain. I didn't know the meaning of pain until I had a nonstop muscle spasm.I was screaming and crying so much my poor husband and dog were both shaking.
    I know about thinking you were going to die. Not being able to shower or do things for yourself does truly SUCK. I am very patient with others but when it comes to myself I am a total maniac. I have to have everything done yesterday, plus I usually do things 90 miles an hour. They call me Speedo at work I go so fast. So for me to have to move slow, not being able to bend, and having to turn like a robot has been very difficult. I want to get well today!!! It looks like I will have to learn how to meditate. Taking it slow will be a huge challenge for me.
    Thank you for your story and your encouragement. It really helps to know that "this too will pass." and others have had bad experiences with good outcomes. I am getting better and I will try to take it one day at a time.I've been doing a lot of praying which seems to help too. Anne
advertisement