Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED!

LoLLo Posts: 694
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I don't understand why it is so freakin hard to get X RAY FILMS!!!!!!!! I went to get x-rays done today for my appt with my Neurosurgeon on Monday, and they normally send them to my doctor through the computer. BUT, I had SPECIFICALLY asked them BEFORE they did any x-rays, if I could get the FILMS. They gave me a stupid disc instead... And guess what? THERE IS NOTHING ON THE DISC THAT BELONGS TO ME! It's got my name on it, but pictures of someone's brain and someone's lungs? Ugh.

On top of that, I had to PAY for the O.R. report. That's so stupid. And the pathology report, I also had to pay for. I don't understand why it costs more than the 10 cents it costs for them to print it out on the few papers they do.

I just had a bad day. I don't understand why I can't see my own freakin x-rays. Why I have to pay for a report on what someone did to my own body. Why does it have to be such a damn hassle?! I don't think I'm asking for all that much.

Just needed to vent. UGH.
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry that getting some films can seem like breaking into Ft. Knox. I've run into that too, it seems like if it can go wrong, it will go wrong when I'm involved.

I cannot believe they charged you for the O.R. report! That is outrageous. One more thing for someone to make a buck.

I hope that the rest of your day is better and that some of the stupidness from earlier is forgotten.

Aimee >:D<
  • I am sorry you are having such a problem with getting your own films. I know I would feel frustrated, too. In the world as it is today, you just cannot depend of ANYONE to do their jobs right the first time. It's like you have to double check with everyone about everything! But, in the overall scheme of things going on in your life, Lo, this is not worth the energy it takes to get mad about. Just consider it another bump on the road. Hug your little boy...might help relax you.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,724
    Lo, every one gets their turn to have a bad day.

X-Rays or MRI's.. With today's technology, having those images on CD's saves tons of money.

1) Its easier for the patient
    2) Storage is 1/100th of what it was with the old method, retrieval time is cut unbelievable.
    3) Sending images from hospital to doctor to hospital is simple and can happen with a simple phone call.

Think how it is having those clumsy films bringing them to one doctor, that doctor passes you to another doctor, so you have to trep not only yourself, but the films wherever.

Now, one thing, before you ever leave a lab that is doing X-Rays or MRI's, you never go without having that disc in your hand and that your image has been verified. I've done this close to a half a dozen times and its worth the few extra minutes.

Having your name on the CD but someone's elses images is just s human error.

Is there any reason you want the old style X-Rays vs CD?
    Old style films can wear, take up a lot of space, etc.
    Beauty part of the CD is you make several copies, store the original in a safe.

Now as far as the report in error, you shouldn't have to pay for that, pay only for the one that belongs to you.

I hope that you arranged to have all of this taken care of

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sucks and I am angry for you too! Sometimes I have to get in my car and scream til my lungs hurt. It freaks people out at stop lights but I don't care. If you've not done this before, I suggest it. It feels great! Here's to hoping that you have transparent and free communication in the future!

One Love.

Stephanie
  • Breaking into Ft. Knox is a great way of putting it.

I know. I wish they had told me it was going to cost money... I would have skipped the pathology reports at least. All they said was how big the sizes of the disc material pieces from my Discectomy, and my disc material from my fusion/radical discectomy was. I paid for a sentence. Crazy.

Thanks :) I hope the rest of my day gets better, too. I am going to ATTEMPT to clean, and if that goes well, I think I might just forget about the radiology situation that isn't quite from hell, but has it's toe in the waters of it.
    >:D<

• You're right. I know it isn't worth the energy. I had a little B.F. (b**** fit, for lack of better words) and now I'm just kind of disappointed.

Double checking sucks. Especially because some people ARE competent, and it sucks to have to feel like you might be insulting them by double checking their work...

He gets lots of hugs, today! He pooped on the toilet for the first time today. Looking forward to no more diapers, hopefully within the next 6 months or so. Nearly 6 years of wiping one butt that isn't your own is too many. Lol.
  • I really do admire you! =D> =D> I don't believe a lot of people understand how difficult it is to be a single mom. Kudos to you and also to your son today for making potty in the right place! >:D< >:D<
  • They said they were going to send them to my doctor like usual, but would bring me out the films. I wanted them partially because I wanted to see my spine now, and partially to put in my files at my regular doctors office.

Apparently, the discs they use are made to work on special computer programs the doctors have... So most people can't even look at the disc they way they set them up (at that hospital, not sure about anywhere else). I called the radiology department a little while ago & she told me that.

The part that makes me angry is that I watched them slide the films in behind the x-ray machine, and after each one, remove them and then she said she was going to go check them and then bring them out to me... So they DID make the films, they just didn't give them to me. Ugh.

Another part of it is just the principle. They asked if I wanted a disc or the films, after I asked for films... And I reiterated that I wanted the films.

I suppose if worst comes to worst I can ask my doctor if she will let me see them... But I'm not sure if they let people into their offices. I just want to see my spine now, and especially after reading the O.R. report, and how they specifically positioned the screws and rods... I want to see how it's looking. I suppose we'll see! I called them and the lady said she'd have them make a new disc and to bring the other one back, but we'll see what happens. I think part of the problem, too, is that I have a Mac, and I chose not to install Windows on it, so the disc program needed may only work for Windows.

I agree the discs make it a lot more convenient. For sure. I just wish the disc would work in my computer, and have pictures of my spine and not someone else's body parts... Then I'd be a happy camper. Lol.
  • Hahahaha. Your post made me laugh. I needed that. Thanks :)

I can just imagine pulling up to a red light and looking over and seeing someone screaming their lungs out. LOL. It's a great image. Haha.

Your surgery is coming up fast! I didn't realize that. Time freakin' flies, eh?! Crazy. I hope you have everything set and in order so it's as stress free as possible for you!
  • Awww. Thanks :) I'm smiling at the computer screen. Lol.

I appreciate that very, very much. Thank you >:D<

Yesterday he peed on the toilet for the first time, and was so confused. Lifted his leg and got his socks wet. He cried! LOL :)
    Right now, the software that comes with the CD's so you can view them on home computers is set for Windows only. I have not seen a direct MAC version out there, not sure you will.
    But I would have to believe since there are so many MACs out there, there is some third party vendor who has the softwre to view those CDs under Apple software
  • Yeah, I dunno... Macs can run ANY program a PC can... 90 percent right on Mac OS X, and some I just would have to download Windows onto my Mac for, but I hate Windows, so I refuse to put it on my computer. Lol. What I did was imported the photos from the disc to my iPhoto library, and it was pictures of someone else's brain and lungs.... So I assumed that it must be the wrong disc, and I had found some alternate way of viewing the images... Since without the Windows program it doesn't read the text files the same way... So I had to extract the pictures separately. I can't imagine why they'd have all these pictures of someone's brain and lungs along with my back x-rays. The guy in the room next to me having x-rays done had some bleeding of some sort, they were trying to find the source or something of that nature... I overheard them talking.... So that could possibly have been his disc... Maybe he got mine? I dunno. My boyfriend isn't working tomorrow so maybe I can convince him to bring me to the hospital to switch the discs.
  • Digital x-ray machines still require the use of a cartridge reminiscent of the film type cartridge. So you will see the technician install and remove a cartridge for each shot. The difference is, that the cartridge is then slid into a processor that pulls the digital image and places it on a screen to be reviewed. If the shot is good, then the image/s will be saved to a server.

If someone requires a printed film, then the radiology department has to use a special printer to produce the films from the digital images on the server.

"C"
    Lo, your statement is basically correct in the public sector, but in the private/business sector that is far from true.
    There are so many properitary software packages that run ONLY on specific platforms and will not run on any MAC, no matter what is run. And as you mentioned, you can't view those CD's on your MAC, so the software used there could be properitaty.

But there are many other software image viewers that can be used to view the images stored on CDs (MRIs)
  • When you run Windows on a Mac you can run ANY Windows program. I personally don't, but my ex-boyfriend works with computers for a living, runs a school system tech department, so he was in charge of all the commercial programming, personal programming, etc... He got to choose an upgrade for the central office computer and he chose a Mac desktop, and installed Windows, because it can run any of the programs. Otherwise the school system would have required a PC, they wouldn't have covered a Mac. If you don't have Windows operating system downloaded onto the computer, then yeah, it definitely doesn't cover all programs... But once Windows is installed, you run the computer with Windows. You have to restart it all over again and boot the computer using Mac OS X if you want to start running the Mac programs. Macs these days can virtually, literally turn into a PC, with the exception of no right clicking in Windows, having to press the ctrl, alt, and apple function keys to do so instead.

I did use a different program to extract the photos from the disc, but like I said, they were somebody's freakin brain and lungs... And while I am glad they have both of those things, I wish my disc didn't. Lol.

I made a decision today to just go to my PCP and request x-rays done at their office, and then I can get actual films in a couple days. I think my primary care would let me have films done if I asked her to see my spine, considering I did just have major surgery on it. Do you think they'd let me? I don't know. I don't have enough experience with this kind of thing, I've never had to ask about test results or even dealt with digital medical imaging until recently. Or maybe my Neurosurgeon could print me out a picture? Can they print it out on regular paper? Lol. I am like, interrogating you here. Sorry. Haha.

Oh, just a random fun fact: My ex-boyfriends education will have cost him close to 250,000.00 dollars when he is done paying back his school loan. 1,100.00 a month for the next 12 years! He's paid 3 of them already. Is it horrible to admit that's one thing I DON'T miss about being with him? Lol.
  • HELLO,

DO I NEED A SPECIAL PROGRAM TO LOOK AT MY MRI DISC I HAVE WINDOWS BUT WHEN I PUT THE DISK IN NOTHING HAPPEN. IS THERE A WAY TO VIEW MY MRI LIKE THEY DID IN THE DOCTORS OFFICE COMPUTER? OR DO I NEED TO HAVE EXPENSIVE SOFTWARE? IM GETTING A NEW MRI TOMORROW ALSO WOULD LIKE TO COMPARE THE TWO JUST CURIOUS TO SEE MY SPINE...LOL
    THANKS, DAWN
advertisement