Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

will they wont they

treadyttready Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi guys

iv been put forward for a spinal fusion as iv got a 75 percent vertabra slip and the disk under it as gone. but my doc dosnt no if they will do it as i smoke so just was wonderin if any body else smokes who as had it done. and wot would i do if they refuse me. i dont no if i can carry on with this pane for much longer. iv been in constant agony for 2 yrs now tried every thing else going. i will stop smoking after the op. but i just carnt stop until iv had it need my cigs. thanks tready
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry you're in so much pain. Different doctors have different approaches to smokers. Some will do the surgery using your own bone for the fusion, some doctors will refuse to operate on you. I'm a smoker and it was not a problem with my doc. Hope you can get some help.
  • is there a name for my condition
  • Tready, welcome to SH. This is a great site for information and support. Take a look at the information sections which have descriptions of spine conditions, etc. By all means confirm with your doctor as we are not doctors here, but it sounds like spondylolisthesis. This is where one vertebrae has slid forward or backward on the vertebrae below it. The disc then becomes degenerated between the two (DDD). I will post the link so you can read it.
    http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spondylolisthesis

Smoking can impair fusion. You will see stories both ways where some do fine and others don't fuse. Some docs will require you to quit for a couple months prior, others will do it anyway. Sounds as if you haven't seen a surgeon yet. Make sure to find a NS or OS who specializes in spine surgery. Good-luck to you, and keep us posted.
    >:D< Cali-Sue
  • yeah your sort of right about surgeon got to see him in 2 weeks time. he is a propa spine doctor. the hospital im going to only do spines. im english by the way. if asks me to stop smolin there is no dout i will i wont this done. eny way thanks for your comment
  • that sounds about right to wot iv got. cause 2 yrs ago i fell of a roof onto a bench and ever since that day iv had my problems so thanks for the link iv learnt more in 10 mins on this site than i av 2 years of my doctor. he never told me the name of wot i had but then again i never asked.
advertisement