Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

should I cancel surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I recently posted my story in another forum but with new developments I think this may be more appropriate. After 2 months of extreme pain and no relief, my specfialist scheduled surgery for December 1. I thought relief was in sight, but....
Today I was informed, in writing, that my position is a full-time position and they have no part-time positions available. They expect me to be there from today forward.
If I go to have the surgery, they will hire someone to take my position while I'm gone and "reassess" the situation when I return.
This is not a work related injury. I began the position on June 1 and am still in my probationary period. I work as a chemical dependeny social worker (carrying duel licensure) for a county agency.
Any suggestions.
advertisement

Comments

• Doesn't the Family Medical Leave Act figure in here? I'm not that familiar with it, but it could be an option.
  • Joy said:
    Doesn't the Family Medical Leave Act figure in here? I'm not that familiar with it, but it could be an option.
    Typically you need to work a year (or a certian ammount of hours in the previous year for the company)to be eligible for FMLA.

Do you have a union that you can go to? Sometimes they are helpful,lol. My contract says they must keep my job open for me for 12 months. I am lucky in that respect, most people only have the 12 weeks of FMLA.

If you need the surgery, will waiting till you can get FMLA cause more damage to your back?

Shell

• HELLO, IM SORRY YOUR IN SUCH A HARD PLACE RIGHT NOW. I DIDNT SEE YOUR OTHER POST SO I DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR HAVING SURGERY FOR AND YOUR DEGREE OF PAIN. BUT YOU HAVE ALOT OF THINKING TO DO, MY BROTHER WAS ON PROBATION FOR HIS KNEW JOB AND WAS SO SCARED TO BE A SECOND LATE AND USED WAIT OUTSIDE AN HOUR BEFORE..LOL. WITH THIS ECONOMY RIGHT NOW ITS HARD TO FIND A GOOD JOB. WHAT SURGERY ARE YOU HAVING? HOW LONG IS RECOVERY? WHEN IS YOUR PROBATION PERIOD OVER? IS THERE ANYONE AT WORK YOUR FRIENDLY WITH,SUPERVISOR OR SOMEONE IN ADMINISTRATION THAT WOULD KNOW THE COMPANIES POLIC'S BETTER AND WHAT THE CHANCES ARE YOU WILL HAVE YOUR JOB AFTER SURGERY? I WISH YOU THE BES WISH I KNEW MORE ABOUT YOUR SURGERY AND PAIN SO I CAN HELP MORE, BUT SURGERY CAN ALWAYS BE RESCHEDULED FOR ANOTHER DATE AFTER PROBATION. BUT THEN THERE IS STILL NOT A GUARANTEE THE SAME THING CAN HAPPEN MEANING BEING REPLACED. HOW BAD IS YOUR PAIN? ARE YOU EVEN ABLE TO WORK A FULL TIME JOB WITH YOUR CONDITION? I WILL WAIT FOR MORE INFO ABOUT YOUR PROBLEM THEN REPLY AGAIN. SORRY I COULDNT HELP MUCH.
    DAWN
  • My boss had told me my job was safe when I went in for my fusion. He got transferred and the new boss laid me off at 6 months post-op, when I wasn't able to return. I had been with the company for just two years. It sucks that our economy is so f'ed up that you have to weigh the options of having surgery or not, because it'll be hard to find a job if they lay you off.
  • type of surgery are you having and how long do you expect to be off work?
    I know from reading here that many of us take time off work for surgery but really need more time as after fusions especially it can be a bit rough and you need further time to recover. You need to take that into concideration as well.
    Is the job worth it????? What is more important your job or your health???? Could your surgery wait or do you need it know due to pain etc????? if you put it off, how soon can you have leave???
    I think these are the questions you really need to think about before you make a decision.
    I know it wont be an easy one.
    Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement