Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So I would like some support

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Good evening,

I would like some support regarding making the right food choices while I am recovering and thereafter. In the last six months I have quit smoking (after 14 years) and quit drinking. I have picked up candy more often lately and not made the best food choices. I lean toward heathier things like whole grains, nuts, green things, and lean meats but I know that I am going to be offered fast food and such at a time when I should be extremely conscious of what is going into my body. Any takers on the position of support?

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement

Comments

• to support you. I did want to at least wish you luck. If you can stop smoking you can do almost anything! Good luck.
  • Stephene,my hubby loves takeaways and sometimes i just find it to hard to resist,so now when hes having a takeway i get a starter or a side dish,i find that this is enough for me,and saves me from eating too much

well done on givin up the cigs and drink
  • Hi Stephanie;
    I think you are still in the hospital now, I've been traveling on business so I'm a bit behind in things here. I totally here you on the "need for support front" which is why we're all here :)))

I quit smoking in 2002, one of the toughest things I've ever done, and one of the things I'm most proud of, but its no easy feat. Just remember, you don't want to go through this surgery again, you want to fuse... That is the end goal, maybe that will be enough motivation.

My surgery is 8 weeks out and I'm trying to take off another 10 lbs. before going under the knife (have already lost 13 lbs.) Willpower is a challenge, and now that I'm taking vicodin, I've been able to add walking to my regimen and that is helping too (of course then I have to add peri-colace to the regimen to counter-act the vicodin, oy veh...)

Keep checking in and let us know how you're doing.
    rgds,
    Melissa
  • It sounds as if you know whats best for your body ;)

If people decide to bring you take out foods,there is a heart healthy menu at places like Applebees and different restaurants-so you can still get healthy foods without having to cook.

You may need to gently remind people that this is the time when you need the healthy foods the most.

Good for you quitting smoking & drinking!! I quit the drinking,but have not given up the sticks ..yet.The last drink I had was wine at Michaels niece' wedding~the reception was at Richard Childress Wine Vineyard,and I caved to a couple glasses..but nothing since then.Only specail occasions and very little then for me.I was a fairly heavy drinker~so I'm proud of that ;))

You must be doing a lot better~I'm glad :)
  • My best advise is to continue taking good care of yourself. I am so proud of you quitting smoking and drinking that shows true dedication and as you know it is very difficult. I have weight issues, and I know when I was following a regular exercise time I saw much better results. The challenge is we are hurt, and exercising of any kind hurts. Good choices, with focus on vegetables, grains, and lean meat. I too like the sugars, and chocolate. but in moderation they are okay. I know if others are eating the fast foods, I want some too. Maybe you can ask them to not do that in front of you, at least there isn't the temptations that way. Best wishes this New Year.
  • Count me in!

Anyone who stops smoking gets my vote, it must be the hardest of things and more reflective of impending illness than weight gain itself so well done you,
    how is it going.

Dealing with pain and getting on normally as possible is difficult so we should not be too hard on ourselves all the time, the key is to set realistic goals within our capability and active range and work forward from them.

Write down your goals and tell everyone, make you own list of what not to eat and stick it on the fridge or a picture of how you would like to look, be realistic.

Take care, John

http://www.food.gov.uk/images/pagefurniture/eatwellplatelarge.jpg
  • I've read your post with much interest. Stopped smoking years ago. Still drinking some and eating too much, tho. What exactly will help with regards to support? What can we/I do to help you? We are all in the same boat, here, and will do anything to help!!!
    downinmyheart said:
    Good evening,

I would like some support regarding making the right food choices while I am recovering and thereafter. In the last six months I have quit smoking (after 14 years) and quit drinking. I have picked up candy more often lately and not made the best food choices. I lean toward heathier things like whole grains, nuts, green things, and lean meats but I know that I am going to be offered fast food and such at a time when I should be extremely conscious of what is going into my body. Any takers on the position of support?

One Love,

Stephanie
  • well stephanie,
    week 2 off our diet and im just wondering how your going??
    as kathyy says i defo think we are all in the same boat here.
    ive been real gd in my attempt to clean up my life for 2009 hope things are looking up for you and see you in the diet thread for weigh in on thursday!!!
    all my love

MRS P
  • :D hi! please stop by the weight loss forum. =D> you are to be applauded for giving up the smokes!! a good food plan sounds like it is next for you.. this is an area where support is so valuable. we are here for you!!! <:P good luck in your new endeavor... Jenny :D
  • Alot has changed. I have been doing *really* good on the food intake since home from the hospital. I have not had one fried thing, not even a fry. My husband recently had a full physical at my prompting. He discovered that his cholesterol was through the roof! I mean it. He has a stress test on the 4th, and his diet had to change immediately. Already in the last two weeks I have lost 3lbs, for a total of 9 I think since before surgery. I have always been a pretty good eater, but now that he is forced to get on board it is going to be sooooo much easier.

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.