Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NOT ONE DR. CAN FIND THE CAUSE OF HORRIFIC BACK PAIN PLEASE HELP ME!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi this is the first time I've been to this website. I really need some help and it is my hope someone will read this and give me some suggestions or advice. I have had debilitating back pain for (5)years now. In April 2006 I had an X-stop procedure on my L5-S1 disc. Removal of part of the facet joint was necessary to install the hardware. The procedure consists of (2) small metal rods inserted in the lower back to allow the L5-S1 disc from pressing or crushing the nerves below.

After about a year my pain came back but,so much worse. I have visited the Back Institute of Texas alone over 26 times in the last 2 1/2 years. I've had MRI's, Cat scans. X-rays, Bone Scans, Injections and Discograms which in turn gave me Discitis. Through all of this testing (3) different doctors cannot determine why I'm in such horrible pain. I am a big man and pain has never bothered me what so ever but this has put me down. I can no longer work because, I cannot stand or sit over 2-3 hours. I have since been put on Fentynal patches, Percocet, Flexeril and Cymbalta. I take all reluctantly because, no-one seems to know what is causing my my initial aching back and buttock numbness and mostly because, I'm in constant pain.

I'm not sure if it could be some sort of arthritis involved but, all tests and procedures the doctors did showed nothing. I believe I have some nerve pain but, the doctors dismissed that as well. I am seeking yet another opinion. Would someone suggest if I should seek another Back Surgeon or would a Neurologists be and option??

The doctors all tell me there is nothing more they can do because, they cannot find the source of my pain. I keep thinking how can this be possible? I can barely walk or stand.I have never played catch or even football with my little boy due to my pain which is pretty sad.
IF ANYONE COULD GIVE ME ANY SUGGESTIONS OR OPINIONS as to what may be my problem or what they would do.I would so appreciate it. I am at my whits end with this type of life. Thanks again!
advertisement

Comments

• Hiya >:D< Welcome to Spine Health :) .I am so sorry that you are in such pain ~X( I know how frustrating it can be :? As far as the pain goes, if you have medication, you need to take it regulary :) This may stabilize your pain :''( I understand your pain and the frustrations that come with it ~X( I also know what doctors and surgeons can be like ~X( I was told "not to be a big baby" by one orthosurgeon ~X( Another doctor said it was all in my head ~X( Until this one day i went to see my GP, but my regular doctor was not there it was a stand in :D I explained about the pain and told him no one believe me :? He said "that he believed you do not have pain for no reason #:S , and we need to find out what is causing it" #:S Anyway he referred me back to the orthopedic surgeon :( , and recommended that i had an MRI :D The ortho then reffered me to "Pain Management" :) That was the best thing that he could have done for me :) The doctor at Pain Managemeent explained about all the tests i had done :) , and the reasons why i was getting what pain where :? This was such a relief, because i thought i was going mad ~X( So my advice to you is get a good Pain Management doctor :D , its the best thing that i have ever done :) , and they are so nice, they have helped me with my personal life as well as my medical issues concerning my back :) . Where exactly is your pain? :? What does the pain feel
    like? :? My problems are the L4/L5/S1 :) I hope i have been a little help to you! :) Keep posting let us know how you get on! :) Hope you enjoy this site as much as we all do 8} Check out the chatroom here :))(

Angie :H
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are in so much pain. :''( i hope it gives you some comfort to find other people suffering as you are. i can only say that you must carry on and search for the cause of your pain. it can be a long and arduous procedure. good luck and please keep us informed of your progress! Jenny :)
  • That a doctor would tell you not to be such a big baby!!!! Oh H3LL no!!! :O That is so unprofessional and rude. Good thing that what goes around comes around.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • I do so hope that you pinpoint the cause of your pain and that you find some relief. In the mean time I would suggest that you do any and everything you can to destress your life. Emotional and mental distress have such an impact on pain. Be your best friend and your own advocate, take care of you and the rest will fall in line or fall away.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • pain generators in the spine is the golden nugget question.

The doctors must have some idea of what "may" be causing it??

Can you find another doctor? Have you had all the corrcte tests? CT, MRI? XR, Blood tests?

How annoying for you but keep going. Pain is there for a reason but do what the others have suggested, de-stress and look at all the obvious things like shoes, bed, driving etc.

I am so sorry you are suffering. >:D<

• Ok I know it stinks and I for one had such pelvic pain that the Dr. thought it was my appendix and it was not. My other Dr. said by the way do you have a bad back. :O I said well yeah he told me that is what it could be than this other Dr. got in on it and bingo he said oh it is the adhessions you have from your previous surgery. So, now stuck with just the pain because know the one Dr. changed his mind. Anyway what I am saying is keep going to Dr's to find out what is wrong. I know for me it has been alot of arth. in my back. Has anyone ever talked to you about a spinal cord stimulator?? Well, maybe not because of the unknown. I wish you luck and I know along with all the others here how the pain is. You hang tough.
  • ericsdad- welcome to the forum. I would ask the drs about the L5-S1 x-stop procedure and if there could be a problem there. :/ Plus I don't know what discitis is exactly but perhaps that could also be a factor. I would ask the dr about the discitis and how to treat that problem...Pain has a reason and they have not yet been able to put all the pieces together..take care...jade
  • eight months after surgery. continious numb ache highly sensitized feeling left side upper buttock goes into left leg. weight bearing on left side makes me shake.this is 24-7days a week.meds no help.been to surgeons,pain mgmt.,neurologists. each has different oppinions. S-I problem,scar tissue at L-5 area.injections only last couple of hours.one doctor suggests RFA another suggests epiduroscopy to remove scar tissue.anybody with this problem I would like to hear from you.any experiences or help I would appreciate hearing about.this has ruined my life.PLEASE HELP.
  • Sorry about your pain,dude.I only have one question.Did they treated you for the Discitis?It's not a joke.I went through it which put me in bed for more than four months.Disabled! Pain was my life,24/7.When were you diagnosed?It's been ten months for me,and I'm still recovering.
    Hope you feel better!

Cheers,G.
  • Have any of these doctors ever mention DDD? It is degeneration of the discs and it is considered aging of the spine. Some have no pain and this is found incidently, and others have horrible pain, esp. with temp. changes and cold weather. It can be seen in x rays. DDD has many names, but it is arthritis of the spine and you suffer stiffness and aching in the mornings. I know it can be confusing and I hope I explained it right.
    I have DDD as well, and have been thru a 2 level spinal fusion (L4-S1) for many problems in my lumbar spine. It was my second back surgery, and I never got relief from my first. I am still struggling to recover from this last one, and I'm on Fentanyl too.
    I sure hope that you find the answers you seek, and keep in mind that sometimes it can take a long time. >:D<
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.