Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to Boards not new to back pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hello i am a 40 year old mom with a 10 year battle going.. In january of this year i had spinal fusion on s1 l5 & l4 which seems to be doing better however now i find i am having mid back pain they tell me i have DDD in t12 thru T7 but its not to the severty of the lumbar DDD however i have having so much pain in the mid back area i cant sleep the muscal problems are surreal at times they effect the diapharm muscals and i find taking a deep breath all but impossible now when i first started dealing with Drs over back pain in 97 or 98 they told me right away it was DDD however i jumped threw hoops for 10 years before surgery ( to many rounds of PT to count plus seris after seris of shots in my lower back by pain managment drs PLUS many diffrent kinds of pain meds) now my lumbar surgery was almost 11 months ago 3 months ago i started treatments for the thorsic problems they seem to be sending me down the long road i took before i can NOT deal with this pain another 10 years and i really dont care to spend the next 10 years on all this pain medicine ( cant stand the loopy feeling) I came here with hopes that someone might have an idea of what my next step could be
thank you so much for reading this as its 3am on yet another sleepless night for me
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please drop by the "Sleep Problems" forum. I) i have trouble sleeping as well and it can really make a long night better. i am sorry you are suffering so much. if your last surgery did not give you alot of relief, why are you so anxious for another? :? perhaps pt and some alternative measures might be of benefit. sometimes meds are the best solution when you get the appropriate ones. good luck and please keep us informed as you progress. Jenny :)
  • dkmomx2 wrote:
    "I came here with hopes that someone might have an idea of what my next step could be"

Hi and welcome to spine health :H :H
    There are many of us that suffer with thoracic pain.
    Please read through as many postings as you can on the subject so you can see how others deal with the pain.

Have you tried deep tissue massage?? That seems to help alot for some.
    Also alot of chiro's now are not using the old method of "cracking" the back anymore. My husbands chiro uses a syringe type looking thing. No needle. It presses it on the spots that hurt. It lights up and finds the hot spots. After about 3 treatments he is good to go. Not saying this is for you. And not all chiro's use this method yet. Mabye something to look into.

You will find with the thoracic area. It's not a common surgery. Alot of drs will not even touch it till its to the point of bowel/bladder issues etc. Its to tricky.
    I have a large herniation w/ mild cord compression and severe thecal sac compression and they told me surgery was LONG WAY down the road.

We all hate taking meds. What types have you tried already?
    Alot of us have to change here and there till the right combo is found. Are you still working? If so what type of job do you do, that may also be a contributing factor to the severe pain your having.

For mine not one pain med helps. Yes it will ease it, but not take it away. Valium has been a life saver for spasms.
    Of course not saying that is right for you. Just my own experience. Lots of heat. And when I am in a flare I rest and let everything else go that is around me. I have to take care of me first.

We have a member here who hopefully see's this as he is a very very busy person, but suffers from thoracic pain, and has for a long time. He keeps on going!! We have to or it will get us first.
    So that pretty much the answer to your question I quoted above. There will never ever be a perfect answer into what the next step is. ACCEPTANCE is in line with the 1st of the next several steps you will take through life. 8>

I am 41 so can relate to a LONG way to go. BUT you can do it!! Thats what this fourm is for. This site has alot of updated medical information on it. TONS of caring people that can get you through the worst of your days.
    Also mabye with some of your personal experience you can help others get through theirs to. It helps take our minds off our pain helping others. :)

HANG IN THERE!!!! Easier said then done. But I am living proof it can be done ;) ;) O:) O:)
  • dk- welcome to the forum. I have multiple problems but understood what you meant about the diapraphm. I had trouble with pain that seemed to circle me around the thoracic area and had pain with breathing. I had an MRI and they found a herniation at T7-T8 that has now decreased somewhat in size. It felt like a huge rubber band around my mid body.

However, I also have had pleurisy and pneumonia and would also have breathing problems. They were diagnosed with an X-ray and a physical exam by my PCP. So I would ask the dr for some testing as it could be multiple things...jade
  • In addition to the breathing problems i am having for which I have been checked for pleurisy and pneumonia both of which is negitive i feel like i have a steel band around my ribs at times I am also experincing little shock like feelings in my back and arms i see my family dr on dec 2nd i will ask then about the shock feelings
    as for my first surgery i have had quite a bit of pain relief in the lumbar area and i have gotten back about 75% of the feeling in my legs and feet i am very pleased with that surgery the pain i am having now is mid to upper back pain the pain in my lower back is not bad at all surgery may not be the answer to everyone ( or even me this time)but it was absolutly the answer for me as far as the lower back
    now the medications i am taking now i refuse to take anything stronger then Vicodin combined with robaxin I also take motrin 800 mg i cant take valium as i am allergic i took percocets immeditly after surgery but hated the feeling i live on a heating pad ( lol as i am sure many of you do) when my back "flips out" as i call it i rest and allow my kids and husband to take care of everything
  • I hear having a fusion causes more pressure on the discs around them. Anyway that may not be the case for you though. I also have DDD. Have you tried a magnet to wear to bed or around the house. I have one from a friend for my back and one I had for my tennis elbow on my ankle now and I feel better with it on my ankle. The back still hurts though. Are you able to do any excercise at all besides running after the kids? I'm glad you're getting some relief though from having surgery. Have you had another MRI yet? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I do range of motion threw PT plus lots of stretches and stregthening excersises for the surronding muscal tissues i have massages 3 times a week which really seem to do more harm then good i think because without the muscal pain i do more then i should and pay for it later i get ultrasound thearpy also 3 times a week plus i sit in a hot tub daily to relax the muscal spsms
    I have had an mri and a cat scan in the past month which show DDD is several areas in my Thoracic area at this time the drs seem to want to stick with pain meds and PT
    I was told that with my fusion i run a higher risk of causing problems with the disc's in close range of the fusion but the current problem i have is much farther up I believe that i had this problem before the fusion but the pain in the lumbar area caused severe numbness and pain down both legs i had nerve impairment down both legs so the lumbar was the primary concern
    I have never heard of the magnet i am going to go google that now ( lol what did we do before google)
    thanks
    Jamie
advertisement