Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do you mentally handle the pain when there is no surgical option?

lulusheartllulusheart Posts: 4,273
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Maintenance
:) no surgical option? ~X( that means chronic pain, maybe forever! :''( i have good days and bad days when handling that idea.it is a frightening idea some days that this pain is most likely forever. i mean i have had pain almost my whole life. i really would not know any other way. i don't have much hope left but i do have acceptance. this lets me move through each day with a sense of peace. sometimes it is overwhelming and my heart gets very heavy. i get tired. so it does me good to surround myself with positive images and try to stay in a "happy" frame of mind. =)) i try and help others in whatever way i can. this really takes my mind off my pain. :? i use that technique alot, diversion therapy. how do you mentally handle pain with no surgical option? Jenny :)
advertisement

Comments

• I'm half asleep , my brain anyway so I will answer the best I can 8} I) I) I) I)
    Like you said one word "acceptance" HUGE word :B
    I get asked the question all the time "how do you do it?" "how do you keep going"?
    Wellllllll ya kinda just have to or chronic pain will eat away at you and beat you down! :T And darn its not going to do that to me.
    Will I feel better after this zillionth surgery, sure I will feel better because I will have full FORCE use of my legs again. Will I be pain free? NAH my back is to messed up.
    Its a new way of living. I will make the best of it that I can <:P I try to live everyday as if its a new one, which in all reality it is =)) I'm awake hey what else more do ya want from me :B :O) =D>
    Is my pain under the proper control? NAH again but hey I might get there some day ;)

Paul quoted if it wasn't for family who knows where he would be. HUGE HUGE STATEMENT. My kids/hub keep me going for SURE 8> 8> 8> 8>

Remember everyone never ask "WHY?" There is no answer I have one and if you want to read it you can on myspace. But won't get into religion as everyone has different views and practices different options.

I also get on here and it makes a world of difference helping others the best I can in easing their mind and giving them a little bit of hope.

Ok I am rambling and my meds have not even kicked in. Im in zombie mode due to the dog sleeping with us again. 'C' where were you for that one again!!! =)) =)) =)) =))
  • TerryJV just said 2 really good things.

1. Its a new way of living

2. Never ask "why"

I think that is just about it - you can't look over your shoulder, you HAVE to keep plodding onwards and upwards and hope that tomorrow will be the day when you find some releif.

I have good and bad days. Good days I am there and bad days I'm so low it scares me. It is all related to my pain.
    But i really try hard to be on the "up" always.

I have adapted my life and have moved into acceapting that this is my lot in life. It could be worse...there is ALWAYS worse.
    So for the time being, I am alive, can use my legs and value just that. Keep sharing with others here on SH and it helps to give some direction to others.

I assume you have a PM doctor? Perhaps you need some couselling too to help deal with your loss?

Take care.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,714
    Jenny, right now I am in a position where surgery is not an option, that comes from both my doctors and myself.
    So basically, I have to work on a plan that will try to manage and control my pain.
    Over the past several years that has included:
    - Spinal Injections
    - Trigger Point Injections
    - Acunpuncture
    - Physical Therapy
    - Aqua Therapy
    - Low impact exercise
    - Deep Tissue Massage
    - Medications

Now, I've sort of stayed away from Acunpuncture. I recently have been having some new problems, just happens that tomorrow I go for a complete evaluation of where I am today as compared to 2 1/2 years ago. Then they will work with me to come up with an action plan.

Surgery for me, would only happen when they can provide thoracic surgery as easily as many lumbar surgeries are done today.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com