Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home from the hospital & have a question

Shine OnSShine On Posts: 87
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had a C6/7 Anterior Fusion. I am one day post op and I am feeling so much better than I thought I would be =) The plan was to keep me overnight in the hospital but I said that I felt like I could go home with no problems and they all agreed. Now I can take it easy and recover. I got the nerve up lastnight to look at my incision and I have TWO incisions, and they are both 2 inches wide...YIKES!!! I have always known people to have just one? I certainly don't care if I get the pain relief I need, but I'm just curious if anyone out there has had two incisions or may know why I do? I see my surgeon again in a week and will ask him but I always get great answers here from all of the wonderful people on this site.
advertisement

Comments

• I do not have two incisions, it looks like I do but after really looking at it closely I definately don't...whew! It is the purple marking pen that they used and then I have the piece of plastic "tape" over my incision so it's sorta wrinkled looking which makes it look like I have two because for some reason they made two lines with the purple marker. Anyway, I had an excuse for seeing double - pain medication. My husband didn't, he feels so stupid. I just wanted to get back on here and admit how goofy I am - tee, hee. At least I made myself laugh out loud, that's always a good thing.
  • Yes a sense of humor is a good thing. I hope you get well God's speed. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That is too funny!! I am laughing with you at that. Oh my. Well, I hope you do have a full recovery with great results. Blessing to you and your loved ones. And keep on laughing it's a good thing. :))(
  • I thought my incisions was huge , it was just all the stuff they put on it. My doctor said he would put the incisions on a wrinkle in my neck. When I went to see him after 4 weeks I told him my incisions is not in a wrinkle in my neck because I do not have wrinkles in my neck. He looked at me and said someday you will and then it will be in one. =)) My surgeon has a great sense of humor
  • Your surgeon does have a great sense of humor, that's too funny. I say that my incision is in a "crease" in my neck because no way do I have wrinkles. I'm just glad I realized that I only had one incision before I started asking my surgeon, he would have thought I was crazy.
  • I'm chuckeling, and I agree, I don't have wrinkles, I was a Shar Pei in my last life :))( If you really want to scare yourself, have your husband take a picture of your incision site, then download it onto your computer, and look at it! My daughter did that so I could send a picture to my brother, and I was horrified! Looking at my neck it just looked a little red and swollen. But downloaded onto computer, all of the bruising under the skin showed up!!!! It looked like someone had tried to strangle me! Oh, wait, maybe they did....nah...I don't talk that much. Take care, and take it easy.

Maggie
  • That is funny about the marking, I'm glad you didn't have 2 incesions, how are you doing , I'm having surgery on my neck dec 23 and could like any comments to how it came out for you. did you have to wear a neck brace. And is the pain less now that you have had your surgery, I'm scared I have had surgery on my shoulder before , and do you have to have therapy or and thing for your neck surgery, it was your neck right?If not sorry I thougt you said c-5.
  • Hi Flowerlover-
    It was funny, it added some much needed comic relief. I told my surgeon at my first post op appointment and he laughed, he said that he will start washing the second line off better. Yes, I am wearing a soft collar and I will be wearing it for a total of 6 weeks. I don't have to wear it if I'm just sitting around the house though. My arm pain and numbness are gone but I am having some pain between my shoulder blades and in my neck, I'm only 2 weeks post op today so I am trying to remain patient. My surgeon said that my nerve compression was horrible, worse that what the MRI showed so I need to give it some time. I had a one level fusion at C 6-7. Thanks for asking how I'm doing, I appreciate it and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask me.
advertisement