Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated Disk L5 S2 - The road to recovery....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
Was diagnosed by MRI with a herniated disk in my l5 affecting on my S2 nerve.

just had a epidural about 3 hours ago.. still not getting much relief from it, and it was quite painful to receive.

anywho, I injured myself exercising, I think it was bad form doing squats about 12 weeks ago, and re-injured myself 2.5 weeks ago during my muay thai (thai kick boxing) workout..

My doctor is telling me it takes 4-6 months for the disk to totally heal itself and I was advised to lay of the muay thai for awhile..

he said I can return to light exercise a week after I am pain free..

I am just wondering what is considered light exercise?

I am also wondering what I can do that will be as light on my back as possible but still allow me to keep up my exercising..

TIA...

advertisement

Comments

• jchamilt- welcome to the forum. I would ask the dr for some exercise guidelines he feels is safe. Are you getting a set of 3 injections as that may help the pain?

It sounds like the dr wants you pain free before exercising and I wonder what he meant. I find that exercising in a warm pool helps and my drs always mention this as well as gentle stretching exercises. The drs office may have a list of exercises to hand out..not sure if your dr has one but it couldn't hurt to call and ask...take care...jade
  • The epidurals I had took away about 50% of the foot and leg pain. But never touched the back pain. The epi takes up to 2 weeks to work for me anyway. I hope you're feeling better soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • day 1 post Epidural...

Slept fine.. the doc has me on a muscle relaxer and a lyrica for the "nerve pain" cant take either during the day as it makes me to spacey.. but works the trick at night..

was pretty uncomfortable before I fell asleep, woke up refreshed but as soon as I got out of bed there was some pain in my buttock and hip, which wasnt there 2 days ago. leg feels alot better and I am not limping around nearly as bad as the day before..

still cant comfortably touch my toes yet back is way to tight.

ive decided to get a thai bag and stand and start training at home at my own pace.. just so I can keep myself in some kind of shape.. doubt I will be able to really spar for atleast 3 months..

anywho.. at work in my new ergo chair I got about a week ago.. really seems to make sitting more tolerable throught the day.. its a herman miller equa XR and is leaps and bounds more supportive then my previous generic office chair.

hopefully I will be feeling loads better by the weekend.
  • jchamilt- glad to hear that there was some help from the injection..I only wanted to warn about the bending at the waist to touch toes as this may hurt. Perhaps ask the dr if this OK or if there are any limitations due to the herniated disc or not...jade
  • day 2 post epidural..

didnt sleep so well last night, my left hip and buttocks is very sore.. hard to get comfortable while sleeping..
    leg and back are doing much better though..

1st day in awhile I am almost walking 100% normal..

finding the stretches where I arch my back from lying down are quite painful in my lower back.. wondering if this is a side effect of the injection..

pain in leg is much improved from earlier in the week..

although while writing this in my office chair I am noticing some numbness in my small toes and behind my calf..

looking forward to the weekend and not having to sit in my chair all day..

all in all mostly positive imporvements since wed.
  • Hi,

I had a large L5-S1 disc rupture for about 6 months. I had all of the paid you are describing (severe hip/gluteus minimus/hamstring/calf/3rd and 4th toe/and numb-sleeping foot. Received several of the epidural shots, which helped quite a bit with the pain for several months. Unfortunately, mine was too large of a rupture to heal itself and the pain came back. Got a selective nerve root block as last non-surgical option. This actually made things worse faster and all of the pre-epidural pain was back. Had a microdiscectomy a month ago. I don't want to get too excited yet but I think it was successful. about 80% of the pain described above is gone. Supposedly the rest will go away as the formerly crushed nerves heal. I have been walking 15 minutes at a time 4 times a day since the day after the surgury. I go to see my surgeon on Monday. I hope that he will tell me I can get on the elliptical machine soon, and maybe start light jogging again in a month or two. Good luck and hopefully yours will heal without surgery, but NO bending at the waist until this is COMPLETELY healed!!! You will just prevent it from healing itself.
  • Slid Completely Backwards

Thursday morning after getting up to go to the bathroom I was feeling pretty good.. an hour later I went to get back out of bed and I couldnt put any weight on my leg. my back was completely locked up. forced myself to drive to my mothers as we where all having dinner there.. I was in agony upon arriving.. no position was comfortable.. I iced my back and tried to get into comforable position..

after 4 days of bed rest I am no longer in excrutiating pain, but I am still hunched over and unable to stand up straight. I have zero pain in my leg and trying to stand up straight gives me pain in my hip.

dragged myself into work today as its just around the corner from the doctors office and I was starting to go stir crazy at home..

will see doctor at 3 today..

have no idea what I did to make it flare up so bad.. I was doing quite good wed.. was walking normal and leg pain was all but gone...

so much for my recovery..

• that was all it took to change my mind about being put under the knife again. I simple sneeze and I was out of commission for months!!!

I hope that this heals for you correctly and soon!

One Love,

Stephanie
  • I was diagnosed with a herniated L5 or S1 disk 3 months ago almost to the day. I live a very active lifestyle and the biggest mistake I made was being too active too early. It was feeling pretty good after about three weeks when I originally hurt it so I began going back to my usual activities (biking, lifting weights, running). Unfortunately, my back was not healed enough and I reagravated the injury which caused my symptoms to become much more severe.

Since then I have been MUCH more conservative about my activity and I and every move I make is very intentional. Now at 3 months post injury I can say that my leg and back pain are very minimal, and I am hoping the pain will be completely gone by the end of December.

The pain I had sounds pretty much identical to what you described. I also experienced many setbacks during the past 3 months even with being conservative, and there were many days where I thought it never would get better. Just remember that in almost ll cases the disk does heal on its own but it is important to be very patient and not try to rush the injury or it will only prolong your recovery and increase your frustration in the long run.
  • Thanks

The Doc put me on another course of oral steroids.. and ordered another MRI to see what is going on.. he thinks I have re herniated the same disk and for the first time used the dreaded "s" word.. i.e. surgery... he also said no work for the rest of the week. thankfully my boss is understanding and I can do most of my duty's from home.

I was also given narcotics for the 1st time.. percocet 5 - 325's

after the agony I was in over the past week I am hoping this will take the edge off..

I am going to try and remain positive.. I really dont want surgery..

but I also dont want to hobble around like a 85 year old man either...

• I have another epidural scheduled today...

not really in much pain.. a little numbness in my calf

still cant stand up straight though.. I am hoping the epidural can fix that...

if this doesnt work I am looking at surgery I guess..

I cant go on living like a hunchback
  • I just had surgery Tuesday the 23rd of Dec..

I had a l5 S1 microdiscectomy performed by Dr. Gerber of the Nasa Group here in Naples FL..

my initial consult was with Dr. Lusk from the same group..

They saw me initially on saturday and wanted to perform surgery ASAP.

My old roommate is a surgical tech and has worked many cases with both of these doctors. she said they are both great..

I cant begin to tell you how much better I am feeling.. I am 3 days post op, have been going on long walks with my mom every day...

surgical pain is manageable with the meds I have been prescribed.

leg pain is gone.. I am standing up tall.. and my only real complaint is transitioning from getting in and out of bed, sitting up and down..

I sleep about as long as the meds take to wear off.. 4-6 hours..

all in all I am very happy with the results so far.. and would not hesitate to recommend the surgery or my surgeons to someone.

so here is to a new positive outlook for the new year coming.

advertisement