Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

oxycotin???

dgardineerddgardineer Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
I was just switched from vicodin 10mg 4xs a day to oxycotin 10 mg 2xs a day and was wondering what the best way to take it would be do you just spilt your day in half ?Also when you first started taking it did you need breakthrough meds right away or was it after a while?
advertisement

Comments

• I've tried various types of pain meds and it didn't seem to take long for my body to build a tolerance so I would have to have to dose increased. I am currently weaning myself off pain meds but it's hard when it HURTS SO DARN MUCH ~X( The doc is not in favor of his patients taking pain meds and said that my body has become dependent on them therefore it does not ward off pain naturally.

Anyway, splitting them in half seems to be a good idea, however you may want to call the pharmacist to see what they suggest.

Both meds are extremely addictive so please be cautious of this.

• with oxycontin, YOU DO NOT WANT to cut pill in 1/2 or otherwise, its extended release(meaning 12 hrs supposedly,I don't take them).You will get a large dose released at once and make cause you to be ill, possible overdose.It has a warning on the bottle.

Best way would be pick like a 1@7 am @7 pm dosing schedule or what works w/ you pain levels.
  • Very good advice! When you are prescribed a medication that is twice daily, it usually means every twelve hours... This will keep medication "theoretically" in your system all the time.
  • With meds directed @ 2 x, I have found that bedtime and early in the day are best. When taken @ bedtime, I usually sleep better. With OC, a certain amt is released immediately, and then gradually throughout 12 hours.

Assuming one sleeps 8-9 hours, taking it again mid morning ensures you have good pain control through most of the day.

Re: BT meds, it just depends on your level of pain and tolerance. Everyone is different. However, once you move "up" in potency, it's not unusual to need less BT meds in the short run. However, over time, your body adapts to the increase, and BT meds are gradually required more often.

Regards,

Ex
  • I know you meant split the day in half, by 12 hours, as you said, and not 'split pills in half'.

So yes, take one at say, 8am, and then one at 8pm, easy as that; you can verify with your doctor if you need. Oxycontin does take about 3 days to reach it's peak concentration in your bloodstream, so I suppose if you still had a vicodin or two left for breakthrough, your doctor would likely give you the OK to take them if needed during the first day or two, but after that, you should be fine (ask first though).

Stick to your schedule tightly, don't ever take your next dose early, never double up if you miss a dose, and this should keep your tolerance low for a long time.

JWM
  • thanks everyone thats exactly what I was looking for I figured that was how to do it but just wanted some reassureance.
  • Hey another Pennsylvanian??? Me too!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,733
    Under NO situations should you Ever break or crush or crush Oxycontin ER tables. That also applies to ANY medication that is intended for Extended Release. These pill have a coating that provides you with a time release of pain medication. If you damage that coating, you run the risk of taking too much of the drug at one time. You can also run the risk of Respiratory Failure doing that.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement