Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions about facet injections

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had a c-5 c-6 adcf in 2003 with plate and screwa my own bone from hip. In 2004 it ended up being a non union so I had bone growth hormone injection at sight and after 1 more year had a fusion. now jump to 2008 have had bad head aches ,pain in the head,neck shoulder and down to arm and fingers. Had new Mri study in nov of 08 NS wants to do facet injections c2 to c7 to see what nerve roots are causing problems before sugesting surgery to fuse above and below my c5 c6 fusion, my pain level is for me at the breaking level, some times my thoughts wander to a more permant solution, has any one had these injections?
advertisement

Comments

• I had them done twice and than the RF done. I wish I did not have the RF the injections did not hold. I did have this done in my Lower back and it worked great until my hospital stay in their bed for 15 days. So, now back to square one. I do not know if this helps you any. I wish you luck with all this. So, my facet injections did not hold at all. Some people they do. My understanding is that they do this to see if they are getting the right area that your in pain. If this gives you some relief than the Dr. knows he got the spot. I can tell you tho that after the facet injections and the RF my PM Dr. said he can't do anymore for me because the RF should last at least 6 months and mine lasted 3 but, like I said my pain came back after laying in a hospital bed for 15 days. Anyone would have pain after that.
  • Forgot to say too that I am going to another PM Dr. this Fri for facet injections 2 levels both sides hoping that I can get back to the way I was before the hospital
  • Just got home from the facet injections, no pain right now,doctor said to ice the neck all afternoon and let him know how I am tomorrow. Right now my hand is very sore where they started my IV it took 4 tries. I hope this works for a while. Please let me know if others have gone this route with any sucess? OR should I do the surery route?
  • Glad you made it home. Now hope you feel somewhat better. I would try anything possible before surgery. This is just me. The success rate of the surgery is only 50% I have heard. I would also chat with others that had the type of surgery that you may be looking at. Find out all you can. This is a great site for that info. I wish you luck and I am off tomorrow for facet injections myself tomorrow. :H
  • let me know how it goes tomorrow, best of luck Ken
  • I had one and it did nothing for me.
  • There is no one treatment that works the same on everybody, so you have to try it to find out if you are one of the lucky ones.
    It might work immediately, or it might take a week or two. Depends on how bad you were and if it is in fact able to do anything.
    I believe the injections reduce inflammation of the joint, so if that is not the problem then it probably won't make any difference.
    I am going for my 9th procedure on Monday. 3 each side from C7 up.
    Getting now so I get fuzzy headed all of the time and just can't function. For me, there is the pain but also a lot of this fuzziness and just not feeling well.
    Pain meds help with the pain, but not with the other.
    The injections usually make me feel much better.
    Trouble is, I feel so good that i then promptly overdo it, and have a bit of a relapse.
advertisement