Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

kyphosis, spondy, and removal of vertebrae

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi,
A surgeon is talking about removing T-11 along with a T4-L4 fusion to correct spondy at L3-L4 and a kyphosis above and old T11-L3 fusion. Anybody out there had any thing similar done??? If so, how are you? What can I expect? I'm scared. Thanks, Helen
advertisement

Comments

• Gosh that is a big op!

A couple of questions
    1) Do you mean he wants to remove T11 vertebrae and if so what is he going to replace it with?
    2) are you saying you have already had T11-L3 fused? How did that go?
    T4-L4 is a massive fusion and I can only imagine that you would be left as stiff as a board as far as movement goes.
    Have you had a second opinion? If so what was the answer.

Also how old are you (no offense).

What are your symptons, are you in pain, have numbness etc

I hope someone else here is able to answer your questions better then I.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Fusion is a big enough operation so I would definately seek a second opinion here.

I understand that the thorax region of our spines is a delicate area for surgeons and many will not go there.

Why are they removing a vertebrae? Sounds radical!

I hope you are not in too much pain!
  • Hi,
    yes he wants to remove t-11 (or 12) and replace it with nothing. my first dr opinion is calling it scoliosis but not side to side, im bending forward. had a t-11 to L-3 fusion in 1984. they inserted luque rods (i guess they dont use them any more) and after breaking away from the rods they went in and took them out 1 year later. the surgeon thought possibly they were removed before the fusion was healed. ive always had a nagging ache. just starting the pain down the leg. the back area pain is getting worse. i dont take anything stronger than motrin a couple times a day. this whole thing is freaking me out. he says he can give me my life back but im wondering "maybe im not that bad yet". p.s. Im 47 years old

• Hi Hjohn , how are you ?

Have you had your surgery yet ? How did that go ? I am really curious about it because you mention that your doctor wanted to remove your t-11 and replace it with nothing !
    Thanks . Josie
advertisement