Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I felt so good yesterday. I drove for the first time and smiled the whole time realizing that I had some freedom at last. 8>

So I went to the drug store, went to Starbucks for a Mocha Frappacino and read while I drank it, went to the grocery store and bought 10 bags of groceries, carried them inside and put everything away, hand washed a bunch of pots and pans and made a spaghetti casserole.

Today, I feel totally like crap. My neck hurts, my muscles hurt and all I can do is sit in my recliner or here at my computer. /:)

I know that sometimes it's difficult to remember not to do too much, but it's SO IMPORTANT to take it easy! I hope some of you look at this and it reminds you that it really does take time to heal and to TAKE IT EASY. I feel like I've been set back a couple of weeks. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID! #o

Ok, I'm done beating myself up now.
advertisement

Comments

• Cath111,
    I know what your talking about!! I had 5,6 6,7 fused on oct 22nd. I slept with brace off first time last night. Neck is killing me this morning. I know I did not move around . When I woke up at 3.00am ,I put bone stimulater on. I think that is what hurt my neck. trying to lay on it. That is stupid too. Thanks for telling your exsperience . I was going to drive today for first time. Cant move head side to side yet. I think I should wait!!
    Carol13
  • :''(

My posts won't stay!!

Ok try again.

Be careful, pace yourself and keep pacing for a good while yet!

I hope you feel better!
  • Cath111,

Don't beat yourself up over what you did yesterday. I bet it felt good having some indenpendence back, recovery time is hard with fusions and so long. Just take it as a lesson and now you know more is not better. I also had a neck fusion and somethines you feel great and other times it hurts just to move around.

Thank care,
    Paula
  • I have done that so many times I can't even count now. Don't beat yourself up over it I think every single one of us has done that at one time or another.
  • Hi Cath,
    I know what you mean about the freedom and I also know what you mean about doing to much. I think you might have got away with some of it but the 10 bags of groceries put you over the edge. WOW Girl, that is scary!! I haven't bought more then an item or two alone and my surgery was a whole month before yours. My doctor still has me on very restricted lifting (5lbs) and on Nov 3rd, my xray shows fusion just barely beginning. My older son comes shopping with me and he does all the heavy lifting. I pick stuff up in the store (light stuff) and I put stuff away at home (usually an item or two at a time). Its frustrating but you need to take good care of yourself and I bet every bag you picked up was heavier then your weight restiction. Also my NS did not release me to drive at my November 3rd appointment because he said you have to be able to turn your head enough to see behind you and I can't. I do drive (we all take liberties) because its just impossible to go to PT 3 times a week otherwise. My PT is only 1.25 miles from my house and I try to be super careful when I drive and my ROM is improving. You are NOT STUPID, you are just like the rest of us. We want to be BETTER already :W

Take care of yourself now,
    LJ
    Cath111 said:
    I felt so good yesterday. I drove for the first time and smiled the whole time realizing that I had some freedom at last. 8>

So I went to the drug store, went to Starbucks for a Mocha Frappacino and read while I drank it, went to the grocery store and bought 10 bags of groceries, carried them inside and put everything away, hand washed a bunch of pots and pans and made a spaghetti casserole.

Today, I feel totally like crap. My neck hurts, my muscles hurt and all I can do is sit in my recliner or here at my computer. /:)

I know that sometimes it's difficult to remember not to do too much, but it's SO IMPORTANT to take it easy! I hope some of you look at this and it reminds you that it really does take time to heal and to TAKE IT EASY. I feel like I've been set back a couple of weeks. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID! #o

Ok, I'm done beating myself up now.
  • Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not alone when I try to speed things up only to be confined to my recliner the next day.

Another thing this did do for me is made me realize that I'm not ready to go back to work yet. And Toyounforthis, you are so right. One day you feel great the next you barely want to get out of the chair.

It's back to resting for me. You all take care and take it easy. That's what I'm going to do (until I overdo it next time :> ).

Cath
  • That sums up what happens on a day I feel decent. I hate feeling isolated and afraid of making things worse. But we're only human and we just can't give up. It doesn't matter what I do, the pain is there with me, and it's like I don't want to wake the sleeping monster.
    Just take it one day at a time, and I hope you get to feeling better.
  • I found if I sit around and wait to heal, then not only do I get bored and down, but it is harder to get moving once the restrictions are completely lifted. Plus I found that I become timid and afraid to do thing for fear of hurting myself.

Doing something like what you did, shows me that I am capable. Yes I may pay, however, I know that I can do it. So now while I heal, I don't sit around wondering if I'll ever be able to do it again, because I know I will. It just may take some time to get there. It's kind of a motivator for me. I taste that freedom and I want it more.

Plus, how else can I establish my daily, weekly limits, if I don't test them once in a while?

Sorry you are hurting now, but I'm really glad you had a chance to enjoy yourself and feel human again!!!!

"C"
  • Wow! I know exactly what you mean. I am 2 weeks post op and have been feeling pretty good. I haven't done much and was very happy with my progress and pain level. That all changed today!!! I had a Drs visit and my husband and i were out of the house for close to eight hours. By the time we got home, I was in agony!!! I had severe neck and arm pain like I had before surgery. I think it was the car trip. We were in rush hour with alot of stop and go traffic. I guess when the Dr tells you to take it easy, I will listen!!! Hope you feel better with rest. Bethy
  • i got home from 3 level acdf during snow storm, live alone, after ride left had to drive to get smokes, then 9pm that night snowblowed the driveway. figured keeping neck straight would be fine. hard collor. never did think straight on pain meds anyway. went thru all xrays and fused ok, so they say. 1yr this week. neck range motion is close to nill. learned to move turning shoulders. awful pain if sleep wrong, stiffnes. index finger still numb. arm pain is gone and shouder. that was worth it right there. at times i would of cut off my arm. 51 yr old male. first cut. if i get 15 without another, i won't argue. i'm active, but do things very deliberate, always remembering 8 screws and plate.
  • yesterday it was so beautiful outside that i climbed a ladder and put up some decorations, I also brought some logs inside to build a fire. I got away with it though i know it wasn't very smart. Sorry you didn't get away with it...it is hard i think for the human animal who has done nothing for weeks to pace himself when he finally feels good. But in my experience pain is a good teacher. sorry you had to learn a lesson in this way. jb
advertisement