Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Refill Question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
Ok, I have been lurking on this site for quite a while and I am very appreciative of all the information contained here. It has helped me on more than one occasion.

Little background on me and my question. I have a ruptured L5-S1. Have been through all the treatments, PT, Nerve Blocks, spinal decompression and on and on. I have been very reluctant to get the surgury because I have been and can control pain and function with the medications I have been on for about 9 months. I am currently on 600mg Neurontin x3, 5mg Valium x2, Vicodin 10mg x4, and Ultram ER 200mg x1 daily. This mix I have worked on with my dr. for months and it is perfect for me, allows me to function, do my job, maintain PT and workout.

Now I go to see Dr. today, I see him every three months for meds. Ultram, and Valium I was due for a refill today, Neurontin is due on Sunday and Vicodin on Thursday(Thanksgiving). He is going to be out of town next week for Thanksgiving so he tells me he is just going to write up my all my refills today so I don't have to try to call them in next week when he isn't in. So I go to the Pharmacy and turn in my prescriptions and tell them I will be back in a couple of hours to pick them up. When I show up the little old lady pharmacy tech proceeds to tell me that they aren't going to fill my Vicoden or Neurontin because they are early (in front of everyone in line with no regard to privacy). I tell her that I understand that they are a few days early but I would like them so I don't have to deal with this during the holidays. She then tells me that I am displaying "seeking" behavior and if I couldn't come in on Thanksgiving day (they are closed) I could pick them up after the holiday.

I was mortified, because not only did she just call me a drugy but she did it in front of 5 people in line. So finally to my question, was she just being a witch or is there a regulation or law that prevents her from giving me these meds before the holidays? I have never had these problems before as I usually call my meds in on the day I run out. Am I totally out of line here or what?

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,736
    First, Welcome Kai,

">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    There have been some many stories about refills at pharmacies. The part that is bad is just what happened to you, the basically announced it publically. That is just poor behavior on part of that person. I would address this and let them know that you never want to see that type of behavior again.

Now, the refills. When the pharmacist gets a script, they check it in terms of Insurance. Its the Insurance companies that throw out those red flags if a prescription is attempted to be filled too early. My doctor once in a while will write a script on the day I visited her. Yet I know, I would not be able to have it filled until a week later. Recently I ran into a situation in which my medications would have run out by 10/29. My wife and I were going on vacation, out of the country from 10/23 to 11/07.
    I needed to refill my zanaflex, which was not ready to be refilled until 10/29. I talked this over with my pharmacist and they told me that I would need to get a Vacation Waive from the Insurance company. I contacted the insurance company explained my situation and they approved the early refill.

So, its really NOT the pharmacy that is throwing out that red flag, its coming from the Insurance company.
    However, that still is NO excuse for the way you were treated.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I would ask for the script back and go to walmart or another pharmacy. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Ron, Thank you, I took your advice and called my insurance company and they said that I was at 1/3 of my maximum allowable medication for this time period and all the pharmacy has to do is call an 800 number to get a vacation override for the thanksgiving holiday. Now I must go face them again...It is a shame that it comes to this for people who actually need the medication.

I would have asked for it back but my Dr. wrote all my prescriptions on the same sheet and I didn't think they would give it back since they filled some of them.
  • kai- welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of the pharmacy treatment. I don't know if you have insurance or not but my insurance seems to be the one who tells me when my ins plan will allow the refill. If there is a problem, call the ins co and ask if they will allow an early refill.

Or even consider changing the pharmacy and get back the prescriptions and take them elsewhere. It is not right for someone to publicly announce you are demonstrating drug "seeking" behavior. They do not have the right to embarass you and consider complaining to the manager as this is not acceptable treatment... :T ..jade
  • Yes, Ron is correct....Most of the time the "early refill" issue is due to insurance companies. However, they aren't stuck firm on the entire script days of supply (say 30). Usually, they allow a refill around day 27 or 28.

The most important issue is how the script is written. Legally speaking, the script is valid the day it is written (dated), unless it is postdated. If it's postdated, it will contain language like "do not fill until xyz date" or "fill on xyz date." If there is no post date, then it can be filled immediately, regardless of when the last script was filled. You could always request to pay cash or retail price if the insurance is denying it. I have two insurances, so when one denys something, I have my pharmacist bill the other.....Perfectly legit.

Not to make the situation more complex, but a pharmacist can refuse to fill a script for any reason...Thus, you may need to use a different pharmacy.

Some pharmacists these days are really hung up on the 30 day supply thing and won't fill until day 30, regardless of when it was written. In these cases, find a new pharmacy.

I highly recommend all PM patients find a good local independent pharmacy. They are always owned by the pharmacist and really strive to serve the customer...Unlike the chains. It's also helpful if you bring the pharmacist under the umbrella a bit and explain your situation...get them on your side so to speak. I've told my pharmacist a lot about my condition(s) and feel he should be an extension of my Doc.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Ex
  • I recently found out that some states (including mine) have laws on certain med class that can not be filled more than 30 days at a time and never early. For instance, one of my husbands meds is very expensive. I have to mail it in to be able to afford it. The doc is only allowed by state law to write it for 30 days with no refills. So, I have to pay the same for 30 days as I would for 90. This same class of meds is also prevented by state law from being filled early.
  • that the way the Tech announced her ASSUMPTIONS is NOT OK! I would call or email their main webpage and describe the person or if you have her name use that. Explain EVERYTHING that happened. The reason for the "red tape" on the floor or the start of the line is in a certain area is to protect the patient from ANYONE hearing! Sounds like she may as well had spoke the whole conversation over the loud speaker in the store. So no what she did IS NOT OK! I would complain and let whoever you complain know that you will no longer use that pharmacy due to the Tech. This day in age nobody wants to loose ANY customers!
    I have gone into a pharmacy and they wont fill til day 30! Others dont really care. My insurance will allow 3 or 4 days early. I went into one and the pharmacy tech said it was too early to fill. Just by date alone not insurance. So I called back and got the pharmacist on the phone and told him I prefer to fill a day or 2 before day 30 that way I am not out in the morning, when my pain is at its worse, and then try to load my kids in the Jeep and drive to the pharmacy. He said no prob!
    Now if you pay cash, then you wont have to go through these hoops. I have had scripts that were early that were written from teh PM on the date I had the appt and the pharamcist said the insurance says too early so if you want to pay cash then he could fill it no prob because it is not a post dated RX.
    I just hate that fact that actual seekers make us true patients look bad. and for the fact that the tech at that pharmacy you went to accused you of being a seeker is absolutly wrong. And in all reality if there were ppl behind you and they obviously heard that is total slander or defimation of character. So please email or call someone in the corporate office of the pharmacy you went to! They were wrong and it seems to older the techs the worse it gets. I went to a doc before and the nurse took total control of my meds and would call on day 16 for the refill instead of 15! she was and older lady and she also thought that everyone on any meds were seekers. IT is a sad world in the world of meds and I blame it on the TRUE SEEKERS!!!!
  • IF THEY WERE DUE ON THANKSGIVING DAY AND YOU WOULD BE OUT BY FRIDAY ANYWAY THEY SHOULD HAVE FILLED THEM THE DAY BEFORE THANKS GIVING IF THEY WERE DUE ON THANKSGIVING. FOR SURE.. HAVE A GOOD ONE.
    Kai said:
    Ok, I have been lurking on this site for quite a while and I am very appreciative of all the information contained here. It has helped me on more than one occasion.

Little background on me and my question. I have a ruptured L5-S1. Have been through all the treatments, PT, Nerve Blocks, spinal decompression and on and on. I have been very reluctant to get the surgury because I have been and can control pain and function with the medications I have been on for about 9 months. I am currently on 600mg Neurontin x3, 5mg Valium x2, Vicodin 10mg x4, and Ultram ER 200mg x1 daily. This mix I have worked on with my dr. for months and it is perfect for me, allows me to function, do my job, maintain PT and workout.

Now I go to see Dr. today, I see him every three months for meds. Ultram, and Valium I was due for a refill today, Neurontin is due on Sunday and Vicodin on Thursday(Thanksgiving). He is going to be out of town next week for Thanksgiving so he tells me he is just going to write up my all my refills today so I don't have to try to call them in next week when he isn't in. So I go to the Pharmacy and turn in my prescriptions and tell them I will be back in a couple of hours to pick them up. When I show up the little old lady pharmacy tech proceeds to tell me that they aren't going to fill my Vicoden or Neurontin because they are early (in front of everyone in line with no regard to privacy). I tell her that I understand that they are a few days early but I would like them so I don't have to deal with this during the holidays. She then tells me that I am displaying "seeking" behavior and if I couldn't come in on Thanksgiving day (they are closed) I could pick them up after the holiday.

I was mortified, because not only did she just call me a drugy but she did it in front of 5 people in line. So finally to my question, was she just being a witch or is there a regulation or law that prevents her from giving me these meds before the holidays? I have never had these problems before as I usually call my meds in on the day I run out. Am I totally out of line here or what?

• My Insurance CO usually fills my scripts 2 or 3 days prior to me actually being out. There have been times where my Dr has to overwrite the script so the insurance co would fill it.
    Now about the clerk announcing the meds. There is something called a HIPAA and confidentiality is Sacred. No clerk at any pharmacy should EVER announce out loud ANY meds you are taking. NEVER NEVER NEVER.
  • IF YOUR MED'S WAS DUE ON THANKSGIVING DAY THEY SHOULD HAVE FILLED THEM THE DAY BEFORE ESPECIALLY IF THEY WERE GOING TO BE CLOSED ON TURKEY DAY. I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN MY PERSCRIPTION BACK AND WENT SOME WHERE ELSE. THAT WAS WRONG ON THEIR PART IT WOULD HAVE MADE ME SO MAD AND KNOWING YOU WAS GOING TO HAVE TO DO WITHOUT YOUR MED'S AND HURT.. NO WAY. GOOD LUCK. SHARON... :O
    Kai said:

• Well I wrote a long update of the whole situation and a thanks to everyone and it went away when I tried to post it. I don't want to sit here and write it again. So thank you to everyone.

I had to actually go to my Doctor and he talked to my pharmacist. I will never visit another Walgreens pharmacy ever again. They had little or no regard for HIPAA or patient needs.

I would be happy to share more detail if anyone is interested.
  • Besides the whole issue of not filling the scripts, a pharmacist is bound to HIPPA regulations, and should NOT under any circumstances, say your scripts out loud. I would also talk to store manager about it and let them know that they are acting out against HIPPA regulations,

Too many professionals do not comply with HIPPA:

A year and a half ago, I was working in the ER as a nurse when I heard some ambulance people talking and carrying on out loud about a bad accident they were just at and how both cars the people were dead and they desribed in detail about their injuries - very graphic -

Two hours later I found out that one of those people was my husband of 10 years.

Ppoint to prove : There is a reason for HIPPA and it needs to be followed.

I hope you have solved your situation but I would also talk to store manangert.

Take care ..
  • That behavior by the EMT was crude, unprofessional, and appalling. There are not enough apologies to excuse that. I'm sorry about your husband and the terrible way you had to find out about it.
  • Yes that was very crude, I know several EMT's and I can tell you that the ones I know have very little regard in general for patient privacy. I have heard them talk about conditions and what happened over the poker table on countless occasions. Sad situation.

I have talked to just about everyone I know to talk to. I wrote a letter to Walgreens HQ and shortly after got an email saying that somone would be contacting me within 48 hours. Ha. Havn't heard anything since. I am long over the not getting the meds, I am not over how I was treated or the disregard for my privacy. Someplace like Walgreens, should know better, after all the settlements for HIPAA violations. It has cost that company millions of dollars and it seems they have yet to learn a lesson.
  • I have been a Pharmacy Tech in Retail and Hospital settings for 30 years, and this is totally out of line for a tech or Pharmacist to do to you while in line! I would make a complaint to the State Board of Pharmacy in the state that you live in. They ALWAYS have a website and there is usually a link to fill out complaints. Get the name of the person who insulted you! Then I would write letters to the manager, the CEO of Walgreens, and the Better Business Bureau. Then I would complain to the consumer advocacy in your state or the Attorney General's office. HIPPA violations are a big deal where I have always worked (in many states). I have always acted like a professional, and I expect to get treated like one when I go to my Pharmacy to pick up my pain meds. Unfortunately there are people who are not professionals and I have worked with them too. Most do not stay in the profession for long as they are let go. I work at a major Trauma Center and I NEVER hear anyone in the hallways or elevators talking about a patient's condition. Makes my blood boil!! ~X(
advertisement