Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve problems after second laminectomy/discectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
Hi All!
I had my second laminectomy/discectomy in August 2008. I am still having strong sciatica pain and the OS says it is from nerve damage and scar tissue from the second surgery. I am currently taking Neurontin, which is helping some. I guess my questions is, has anyone else ever had nerves to "heal" and feel better after time. I am 14 weeks post-op. Thanks! :)
advertisement

Comments

• Hi,
    I had a discectomy at L5/S1 on 7/29 and after 3 months of PT I am finally pain free, BUT I have significant nerve damage.. a numb left calf and foot, and my toes and outer foot have the pins and needles all the time. I was given Neurontin but haven't been taking it. It's bothersome but not limiting. I'm just glad that I can finally walk and stand. I was impatient after the surgery, but finally after almost four months, I'm pretty much pain free.

However, I've been told it can take years for the nerve damage to heal. My surgeon says it WILL go away, but he can't say when.

phyllis
  • I am 4 mons post-endoscoptic discectomy and continue to have sciatic nerve pain, also. I am able to keep it under control with the anti-inflammatory, Diclofenic, and by taking (short) cold water baths with ice cubes. I have recently started using a decompression belt and that seems to be helping, too. I find warm water exercising is helpful. I am concerned that both times in the last 4 mons that I have tried to quit the Diclofenic medicine, the sciatic nerve inflammation returns at near pre-surgery levels. I would like to know if others have had the sciatic nerves heal overtime.
  • Nerves take a long time to heal. They seem to have their own schedule and don't have any regard for our own sense of urgency. Hang in there.

"C"
  • Yes..I guess the old saying "time heals all wounds" is very true! :) Wishful, if you could let me know what a decompression belt is, I would appreciate it. I personally don't want to continue taking the Neurontin because the side effects for me outweigh the relief it gives me. Thanks for all of your replies!
  • hi there
    i had a bilateral disecetomy at S1 in Nov 07
    this was a second operation {the last one was ten years ago on my L4/L5 }unfortunately i am still in pain .i have DDD and spinal stenosis .i can only sleep for 3 hours max the pain wakes me .i am on 320 mg of oxycodone to control the pain .nerve don't heal the get covered in scare tissue then that sends a pain signal to your brain .and the rest you know {it hurts like hell}
    you may find that it settles down a little .but most of the people i have talked to .they are still in pain .i am a bad case because i have a congenital abnormality .i have an L6 {partial} and my S1/L6 are congenitally fused also i have thoracic outlet syndrome .so my spine is a mess.there is a device called ACTICARE its worth a try .i use mine 24/7 it help google www.acticare.com for more info
    a memory foam overlay on your bed may help /and if you can run to it an electrical adjustable bed is better as is a rise and recline recliner.
    ice packs on your lower back help too
    but i would try the acticare if i were you .
    i was on gabapentin /lyrica but it put me into retention and put 3 stone on me so i came off it
    i hope that your pain reduces .just don't try to rush things .back surgery is major stuff,and takes time to recover from/
    good luck
  • Maxicat, sorry to take so long to answer your question about the decompression belt. The doctor that did my endoscoptic discectomy in Jul 08 recommended that I use a disc disease solutions decompression belt. I bought the model DDS 300 but did not initially use it much. After trying to quit the anti-inflammatory meds and instead re-initiating the sciatica, I began using it a few weeks ago and find it helps ease the sciatic nerve symptoms down the buttocks and legs. Note that i also restarted taking the prescription anti-inflammatory, Diclofenic. I don't have much pain as long as I don't stand much but, still have off/on really tight calves. Hoping it's just nerves healing slowly but, fearful that it is the collapsed disc still pinching. Warm water exercise also helps, alot.

• Thanks for the info., Wishful! ;)
  • Thanks for the info., Wishful! ;)
advertisement