Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bad day with chronic pain!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
:''(
Sitting typing this with my left hand, as the muscle spasms in my right arm have gone into meltdown. Just downed 2 diazipam and waiting for the pain to level out.

Sometimes I wish that I could have a normal day. Dont have time for this tomorrow as I have to attend my pain clinic. And have to somehow get there for my yearly catch up. ~X(

=)) I know that I will make it no matter how much it hurts or how long it takes. Just needed to vent the pain, sorry guys. But sometimes its real hard to talk to those closest to you. Sometimes I wish, sometimes I ask why me, other times I just accept, sometimes I dont. Must most of all I thank my lucky stars that I found this group.

Thanks for listening.

Sue 8} :<
advertisement

Comments

• You are allowed to express your emotions. It does your body no good to hold onto the emotional pain and stresses brought on by your physical pain. They feed off one another. And so I applaud you for being brave enough to tell the truth and let that little bit of poison out.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • I hope it goes well at your pain clinic tomorrow. And I hope you find less pain everyday. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I know how you feel. I've been down with severe pain since Monday and it has been so bad that I wasn't able to shower. Ugh! I felt so miserable and unable to move, and the pain drained me of any stamina.
    Get well soon >:D<
  • This typing with one hand is more difficult than I thought it would be. Still waiting for the searing pain to pass. Thanks stephanie, your right in that it does help to let it out, even though I feel stupid.

I just get so frustrated when days like these stop me from doing anything uesful. As could not even get dressed today, do any housework or for that matter even think straight.

I hope that tomorrow the Dr can see the pain and actually help. As I can not keep on going like this.

=)) The one good thing to come out of it as im getting better with my left hand, for typing, getting dressed and everyday activities.

And hi charry,fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Thanks

• Sorry to hear that you are in the same boat. Going for a bath would be bliss,i'ii just blame the smell on my cat and hope the hubby does not notice. :))(

Hope that you get well soon and that you get a day soon that allows you to do things. Thanks for the hug. God I type as slow as a snail.

Sue
  • aww so sorry. im with ya right now. O:) O:)
    lately everyday i just feel like crap. i try to take a pain pill , lay down and BOOM ya think you would be able to rest and you can't. or you end up falling asleep and wake up feeling worse then when you laid down. sound familair??
    i wake up sore, nasueas the whole package.
    i just got up at 4:30 and still at 6pm waiting for the meds to kick in with ice.
    so you vent, rant do anything that helps you.
    cause alot of us are with ya right now in that dept.
    good luck going to pain managment!!!! the trip will be over before ya know it.

huggies for ya!!
    terri >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Im sorry you are having a bad day. This is the best place to vent and I think complaining here actually helps my pain levels. Have a nice hot bath and hot tea and good luck tomorrow.
  • you right in that it helps knowing that there are others who have the same s@@t,sorry for that but hey, sometimes thats how it is. How do we manage to cope I have no idea.

I do know that having you guys here makes a whole world of difference emotionaly. From reading the replys I have already found a strengh to get through this severe flair up.

And that you have made me feel better.

>:D< >:D< >:D< Hugs to you all, and I hope that you find a good day. Here is hoping for tomorow being one of them for all of us

Sue
  • YOUR WELCOME!! >:D< >:D<
    thats why i get on here so much. answering posts gets my mind off my own pain. ok lied not all the way =)) =)) but it does help to a degree. because your right we hate to complain to our families or other halfs. even though they ask all the time how we feel, we don't let them know to the full extent. ;) but hubby has known me so long he can tell by my voice or face no matter how hard i try to hide 8> 8>

i don't know what the weather is like where your at, but its in the 20's 30's here and that wreaks havic on us all. no matter what type of pain we are experiencing.
    so HEATING BLANKET here i come soon :X :X :X iv gone through so many i hope santa brings me a new one <:P <:P <:P

you hang in there girl!!! your NEVER EVER alone and im glad that we can make you feel better even if for a little while O:) >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Pixie's right- it does make a difference when you know you are not alone. And it's nice to communicate with someone who's battling with the same thing. How about a group hug
    >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I rarely have a normal day, if at all anymore. I consider a good day a day where I have no serious breakthrough pain and bad days the day's where I have breakthrough pain throughout the day needing to use my breakthrough med more than two or three times. Unfortunately probably 75% of days are bad days. So you are not alone. I'm actually having a good day today though.
  • Back at you terri, it does make it easier. Thanks again. It is hard telling my hubby sometimes how bad it is, but like yours he is not so easily fooled anymore. He knows all my tricks in avoiding it. 8>

Here in Scotland it is raining as usual,so being indoors is not so bad. Hope santa get you what you need and want. And meydey hugs right back at you. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

Thanks all for cheering me up.
  • Glad that your having a better day johnnyo from the norm. And thanks for all letting me know i'm not alone.

Oh and meydey dont hug me too tight! /:)

Heading off to bed now as its 12pm and know that if I dont try to get some sleep now tomorow will be a task. Thanks for listening and being here in my time of need. :H
  • good luck for tomorrow pixie,

you really are having it rough with pain,it is good to know your not alone here,its just amazing how many friends here understand and do help out when its all too much,we know what you mean about hiding the pain from those close to you and i hope helping to share it here will make your journey to pain clinic smoother.

will look out for message here to see how you got on,and do wrap up over weekend in scotland it may snow,we are feeling the cold here in ireland,we are nearly neighbours,its nice meeting you on this forum pixie.

:H karen
  • Thanks for last night guys, it was just what I needed. Just dropped in to let you know how the pain clinic went, still in a flair up.

Managed to get there,but the meeting did not go how I expected it to. I have had a fused L4 and L5, for at least 15ys now which causes pain down my left leg. Which if I do to much causes my back to go out. DDD with chronic pain and poor mobility. Operated on, as at the time they thought that it was a slipped disk, turned out to be fused, nothing they could do for me other than scrape away some bone to free my trapped nerve. Did not work.

5yrs ago I went to my gp to complain of a problem with my neck, he did not believe me and sent me away.

I got married 3yrs ago, moved and got a new gp, I went and told him of my neck problems, muscle spasms of the neck muscles, pressure build up at the bottom of my head, pain radiating down my right arm, Pins and needles, Stinging sensation like nettles, Loss of strengh in arm, difficulty breathing, tightness around my chest with a pain in the front of my chest and a swelling on my spine between my shoulder blades. He sent me for an x-ray. This showed spondlytis. Got given more meds. Gp said that I had a trapped nerve in my right arm.

Then I was reffered to the pain clinic, which has given me over 2yrs, Mri which showed nothing not even the spondylities, tens machine, Lyrica, Antdepressents (which gave me depression), Anti flammatories which caused problems with my stomach (stopped them) Acupuncture and that is it. No diagnosis at all!

Today he told me that he thinks there is nothing more he can do, where does that leave me I ask? :''(
    He is going to talk to a college and will get back to me.
    I have lived with this chronic neck pain now for 2yrs solid, with no relief. Surely I would not be in this much pain unless something is going on? I do not know what to do or where to go from here.

No diagnosis and no pain relif. Any suggestions would help me as I really do not know what to do now!

Thanks
    Sue >:D< :jawdrop:
  • Pixie,

I'm certainly not an expert but what you've described about your neck and scapular pain (between the shoulder blades) sounds like you have definite nerve impingement eminating from the c-spine. A friend of mine who had almost your exact symptoms, was finally given a diagnosis when she had a discagram (sp?).

From everything I've heard and read, it's a painful test, but it can be the only way to see certain types of damage to the spine/discs. A lot of what was seen during this test was never seen in any films that she had previously. It was either a neurosurgeon or ortho who finally ordered this test for her, and I don't know your history, but if you haven't already, maybe you could get in to see one of the above.

I totally agree with you that there has to be something causing this pain and it sounds like your doc at the pain clinic just doesn't want to look further into it. My friend ended up having surgery (fusion) and she is now on the mend. She still has some post-op pain, but has noticed a bit of improvement every day.

I sincerely hope you can get to the bottom of this and finally get the relief you so deserve. I know this is only a guess on my part, but the way I've always looked at it, we can usually benefit from someone else's experience. My friend posts here and I'll ask her to pop in and tell you more if you'd like. Take care and try to hang in there. Sending warm hugs and positive thoughts your way, Mitzi
  • checking in with your appointment and its a disgrace your left in such pain and no diagnosis,i had 3 mri's 3yrs ago,it was for my L4-5,they knew i had DDD before all these but i was adament that i had this pain in my right leg and i kept pushing the hospital,it was fustrating but you know your body and can tell when to listen to what its saying so you hang in there and torture the hell out of your gp to refer you to another pain consultant or if you can your orthopedic consultant,this is how i got through my Nhs to get diagnosis,your made of strong stuff. i too am experiencing getting messed around with neck pain,numbness in arm and hand by my gp,i know again the road i have to pursue just to be heard.hopefully your not waiting much longer to hear back from college for help with your pain and a diagnosis or explanation,you have went through so much already,i wish you well in meantime.

take care pixie
    karen
  • Hopefully he will talk to his colleague and they'll come up with a diagnosis for you. Maybe this Dr. is looking for a second opinion as he's unable to help you. But perhaps the next Dr. will be able to help you. It's just wrong that you've had to wait so long though. I hope his colleague can help you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I know it's hard to get listened to. Hopefully this doctor will come back with some ideas. I think you might have some DDD going on. I was diagnosed with it in my neck and thoracic area, and then it went down to my lumbar. Shortly after I blew out L4-5 and had a minor herniation with severe DDD on L5-S1. I wasn't even told about L5-S1. I found out right before seeing another surgeon months later, and also learned I had other problems going on. Then I went on to have L4-S1 fused. Sometimes doctors tell you you're okay, when there is something. I don't know why they do that. If they say, we saw this or that, and for now it's not problematic, it would be better. I don't like to be kept in the dark. Even is it's very minor, I think you should be told anyway.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.