Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Catheter question

Sparky123SSparky123 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Pretty simple. Do you get one for any kind of back surgery, or is it just for certain kinds? Whats it like? :SS :''(
advertisement

Comments

• you get one for any back surgery. HOwever, they normally wait until you have been 'asleep' from the anethesia before inserting the catheter, so no embarrassment required on your part. You will normally have it in for about 12-24 hours and then they will take it out....not papinful coming out and they are very discrete~hope that helps.
  • They put my foley catheter in once I was already asleep. I knew they were going to use one so when I woke up and didn't feel anything, I thought they had already pulled it. Nope, it was still there, and they took it out the next day. I was very glad to not have to get up in the middle of the night to pee.

Afterwards, I did pass a little blood and blood clots the first few times I urinated. I was told this was no big deal if it stops. Just drink lots of water (and even cranberry juice) and urinate frequently to keep your bladder flushed out so you don't get a UTI.
  • Hi Sparky:

Yes, you will have one and be glad to have it after surgery. They also like to measure your urine output from it after surgery. They do insert it after they put you out. It is no big deal when it is removed.

Ellen
  • They insert it after your asleep. When I woke I couldnt even feel it was in. It was super duper not to have to get up to go to the bathroom right after surgery. Mine was in 48 hours and when they remove it couldnt even feel it. They deflate the balloon which holds it in and it slides right out. Hope this helps, and good luck to you with your surgery!
  • Yeah,

I had one. Its the best thing. saves you getting out of bed which is the last thing you need to deal with for a couple of days.

A nurse came and took it out at midnight.
    She said take a deep breath. Id stopped breathing in and the tube was still coming out.
    I was amazed how long it was, pretty funny, didnt hurt at all just felt weird,

All the best with your op
    Ironman
  • Don't worry :SS , its a piece of cake! <:P
  • 99% of the time, a catheter isn't a big deal at all. However, if you wake up and feel the urge to urinate, there is a chance that they didn't have it placed correctly. In that case, they will deflate the ballon and re-position it.

Don't hesitate to tell them if you feel like you need to urinate. If it is in the right position, you won't even know when your bladder is emptying itself.

I've had quite a few procedures in the past where I had to have a cath. I've had them inserted both when concious and unconcious. No big deal.

I did get prostatitis right after my back surgery because the catheter wasn't placed right during surgery. That was a treat! But, by and large, it's pretty rare for any problem to occur from the cath.

Good luck, enjoy the bed rest!

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I was surprised when I didn't get cath'd for my recent ACDF. Went into surgery dying to pee but figured I wouldn't say anything because they'd cath me anyways. Woke up 3 hours later with a very painful, distended bladder. They ended up cathing me in recovery. It wasn't really pleasant -- but I was in and out of anesthesia and don't remember a whole lot. I remember squeaking out an "ouch" or two, but it went away quickly. The relief was wonderful.

They removed it before I left recovery . . . not a big deal. Not painful -- just felt weird.
  • Ya,they didn't mention that to me and I ended up with a raging infection! 
    The place I had mine done was a giant mistake! 
  • I made such a drama story before going to surgery only because cathether. I was afraid that they will put it without anesthesia and was wondering a lot how it feels, but when I was awake, I did not even notice it was there. And, I was grateful it was since I could barely move, in lots of pain, and doing anything else then lying on the bed and waiting for the miracle to come :smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" /> would be too much for me.
    Kristijan (33)

St. post vertebrosynthesis transpedicularis Th11-Th12-L1-L2 sec Expidium, Stabilization (10.5.2016.)
    Scoliosis THL Gravis (as of age od 13)
    Protrusio disci L3/L4
    Osteochondrosis
    Radiculopathia C6C7 bill, C8Th1 dec, L3L4 i L5S1 bill
    Hemangioma Th8
    Sy CC et CB
    Sy thoracale
    Sy LS chr

• LizLiz Posts: 7,868
    edited 07/11/2016 - 4:35 AM
    I am closing as most members in this discussion are no longer on the forum. It will be more beneficial to start a new discussion.
    Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.