Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back pain following laminectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
my husband had a laminectomy and discectomy on 11/17...he is having significant pain and also difficulty in sitting and standing up from a sitting position....once he gets the recliner "reclining" the pain subsides; but every time he gets up and sits back down the pain is unbearable.....in fact the pain today seems worse than yesterday....he is walking (using a cane); still a little "unsure" of himself...any recommendations would be appreciated
debbie
advertisement

Comments

• when I had my discectomy's I was in the hospital overnight and then I stayed in bed for the most part for a week ,I got up to eat and go to the bathroom ,from what I understand the pain is from the inscision and the muscles that get minipulated during surgery it should get better by the end of week one and more everyday.I've been through this 2 times so feel free to message me if you have any questions.
  • Do you have leg pain, even after the surgery? I'm almost 7 mos. post-op from laminectomy/discectomy and legs hurt more than before surgery!
    Rosa
  • This soon after a surgery he shouldn't be sitting for any length of time for at least a couple weeks. Sitting puts a lot of pressure on the spine. It's only been a few days. If he is in the recliner make sure he is reclined all the way back otherwise just laying down in bed at this point so soon after surgery. Consult with the doctor as to when it is OK to sit for longer periods of time. It does hurt right after surgery for some time even if everything is OK. In my experience with having the same surgery sitting is the last thing to be tolerable. He should listen to his body and if it hurts don't do it.