Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Skeptical- Please help...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My Dr. has recommended spinal fusion. I have done some research and have found bot positive and negative information. I have 2 degenerative discs, C5-6 and C6-7. My Dr was trying to get approval for total disc replacement, but the insurance company denied it as it is a newer technology.

Has anyone out there had this surgery, with positive results? I am experiencing a ton of arm pain in both arms which is getting progressively worse, I am losing strength in my hadns and have a hard time just squeezing toothpaste, opening can of soda, little things like that.

If anyone has experienced anything like this or has any infor to offer i would greatly appreciate it. I am scared and not sure what to do anymore, it has ben 2 years and I have tried all kinds of therapy and meds to control the neck pain, but the arm/ hand pain is really scaring me that if i dont do something soon I may loose all functionality in them.

thanks for reading....
advertisement

Comments

• Hi and welcome to Spine-Health. Below is a comment I posted for someone else who needs surgery and was scared. I thought it might help you. I'm very, very glad I had it done.

I had a 3-lvl C4-7 w/hardware and had never stayed in a hospital, much less had surgery (oh, I'm 47). I was scared out of my mind also. Turns out, the anticipation was worse than the surgery and post-surgery. I had my surgery at 8:30 am on Oct. 21 and was home by 1pm the next day and was eating pork chops that night. My surgery was a huge success (although I'll see how fusing goes in a couple of months). Of course, I've had some pain, but I'm only taking muscle relaxants for the spasms and Hyrdocodone when needed (1 or 2 a day). I've had very few days that I've felt like I couldn't get out of my chair. The most difficult part for me has been not doing too much as I feel great. I had only minor throat issues, some muscle spasms at the back of my neck (my surgeon told me to expect that), but otherwise I'm just enjoying the time off.

Also, as far as working from home, I do find it difficult to sit at my computer for too long, so keep that in mind.

And make sure you have a recliner. I couldn't have lived without it!

Take care of yourself and don't worry - you will do just fine and I hope you are surprised at how easily you'll move forward. Feel free to PM me any time.

Cath

Take care Deanna. You'll come through this like a champ!
  • I have had three neck surgeries, two acdf (5-6 and 6-7)and one posterior decompression. Of course, surgery always has risks and should not be taken lightly, but I can tell you that it was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated. Just plan on it taking a while to recuperate. Even if they fix the problem, it will take a while for everything to heal. It's been a year since my last surgery, and I still have a lot of myofascial problems (hopefully this will not happen to you) but the weakness and numbness are getting better instead of worse now and with PT, injections and a lot of exercise, the trigger points are improving some also. I still have a ways to go, but at least I am heading in the right direction. Hope that helps.