Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi I am new

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions

Hi;

I am new to this forum. I have spent 2 years trying to "fix" my back.
I have just had a sgittal T1 mri and I wonder if anyone can make sense of what it says.

I am 50. I have had 2 car accidents. One in 1988 (7 months pregnant) and one in 1999. I had whiplash both times.
I have had back flares off and on since 1999, but I seemed to get better.
I broke my left 5th metatarsal in Aug 2006 which put me on crutches/walking cast for 18wks, and I have just not got back to my life since then.

Here is what the MRI says:

Findings: Normal craniocervial junction. Vertebral body heights are maintained with no obvious malalignment. There is straightening of the ususal cervical lordosis and throacic kyphosis. Changes of degenerative spondylosis are present involving particularly the c5-6,c6-7 and L1-2 invtervebral discs. There are small posterior disc protrusions at multiple throacic levels that do not appear to significantly compromise the canal. At least mild posterior disc psteophyte complex is further noted at c4-5, c5-6 and c6-7. Again, the canal does not appear frankly stenotic. Mild posterior annular bulging is further noted at L1-2.
No difinite focal inflammatory signal change is seen in the visualized axial skeleton.Both sacroiliac joints show some subchondral sclerosis but appear patent with no evidence of subchondral marrow edema or further significant inflammatory signal alteration. No erosions.

I am on celebrex, and pain meds. I have had a lot of cortisone shots.
What is my problem and how do I fix it?
Sitting is terrible. I limp and feel like I have to manually lift my feet sometimes. My neck is a real problem. It hurts and radiates down my left arm. I wake up in the night in pain.
I have not heard of DDD straightening the spine before or this subchondral sclerosis???

Does anyone know what this stuff means?

Thank-you for your help
Linda
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    I am glad you found this site, you will find plenty of members to discuss your problem with. However, please keep in mind, that none of the members here are medical professionals and as such, they can not read MRI's as a trained doctor would. People may give their opinions regarding your MRI, but you need the details from your doctor.
    That being said, are you under any type of treatment for this problem? What kind of pain medication are you on and at what dosage. When did you have those Epidrual Spinal Injections and where were they?
    Your MRI report starts of talking about cervical discs, but then it switches to Lumbar. (Lx) Normally MRI's can only take accurate pictures of sections of your spine. So that there would be a cervical and upper thoracic MRI, then a MRI for the thoracic area and finally one for the Lumbar area.
    What action plan does your doctor have for you? Physical Therapy, Massage, Ultrasound?
    The more information you can give us, the better we can communicate
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Has your Dr. referred you to a Neurologist just due to the weakness of your legs? They could do further tests to make sure everything is okay. Unfortunately we can't read the MRI results but I can understand you're being in pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i cannot help you with your reading but i do know your doctor is the best person to help you with that. please be patient and don't worry until you have to. good luck and keep us posted of your progress and results. Jenny :)
  • Hi Linda,

Welcome to Spine Health. Wow, that would have freaked me out to have had a car accident while 7 months pregnant! I too have had a whiplash incident and the amazing thing about it, is it occurred in the mid 80's and it really didn't start causing problems for me until around 1998. The I started getting horrible headaches and shooting pain in my head. I was fortunate that a neurologist diagnosed occipital neuralgia and began treating it very successfully with anti-seizure meds.

It wasn't until 2007 that it was completely out of control and everything from A to Z had been tried to control it and I opted for surgery.

I was amazed at how a whiplash incident so long ago could wait so many years to manifest. The PM doc who implanted my spinal cord stimulator this year, said that he see's it all the time.

What kind of doc are you seeing for your care? Charry is right, a neurologist might certainly be someone who could help you. At least to determine if you have nerve damage. Be your own advocate and write down everything that you feel and that way you have something to ask or develop questions from.

Hope that you are able to get some relief soon,

"C"
  • I can't translate the MRI either but did want to welcome you to the site.
advertisement