Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Now I'm really confused

darbymai59ddarbymai59 Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've been to one ortho doc that says I need laminectomy for the stenosis and fusion for the spondylolisthesis. My PM doc said he does not see the spondy but I do need surgery for the stenosis at L4/5. I have an appt. with a neuro surgeon on Dec. 5th to see what he has to say. What do you do when you get conflicting opinions? I've only had one MRI in April 08 will either of these doctors want more test or x-rays before a surgery. If so what kind of test checks for spondy. I know I have the stenosis as both docs showed it to me on the MRI.

Thanks for your help.

Darby
advertisement

Comments

• I had to undergo a CT/Myelogram prior to my first surgery (microdiscectomy). I developed retrolisthesis (opposite of spondy) and other problems afterwards. Months later I had a 2 level fusion at L4-S1. That condition was clearly seen on my MRI. I hope your appt goes well.
  • ..would clearly show any spondy progression, esp the plai x-rays, both flexion & extension. I would think you'd want a more recent one since April, as spondy can increase at a quick rate --- I had x-ray's 6 months apart and from one to the other there was a 18% slip....no question that I needed the fusion after my NS saw that one...

My fusion totally straightened out my spondy & also relieved a lot of the stenosis. So it can be very helpful under specific conditions like you describe. Not that I;m pain-free now, at only 10 months out, but I can surely tell the difference in how my spine "feels"--much stronger, more alligned & just better.

Now my MUSCLES are all complaining, but that's a different subject! LOL :)

So when you see your doc, you might want just plain flexion/extension lumbar x-rays...that will show plenty damage, if you have enough spondy to warrant a fusion.

Good luck!

~Lakeside
  • i hope your ns has the answers for u in dec. how can 2 docs see things differently? u might ask them with a simple question leting them know u r confused and would like them to explain it to you. maybe both docs are correct, because even when surgery is needed two different docs might perform the surgery only similar but not the same? good luck to u and i will pray for u also.
  • answer that surgeons read a lot more MRIs and scans then PM drs do so know what to look for.
    When you see the NS, dont tell him or ask him about the spondy and see if he picks it up. If he doesn't then as if you happen to have any.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Thanks to all of you that have answered my plea for help. I think I will be asking the neuro doc a lot of questions. I'll let you all know how the Dec. 5th appt. goes. Lakeside I think you are right, I do need the flexion and extension x-rays.

Darby
advertisement