Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

POST BACK SURGERY L4 L5 AND S1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hello out there. ive just had L 4 L5 S1 surgery. it was a new procedure done with plastic discs and titainium clips that go into my spine through the front of plastic disc. No screws or rods etc you can see this procedure on http://www.ldrspine.com/products/roi/roi-a.htm I have had mind blowing pain in lower back when laying down if i move the wrong way BANG !!! i cant even describe the pain it last for about 10 sec. AND then subsides slowly.does anyone get that pain? ITS BEEN 2 WEEKS SINCE SURGERY AND STILL GETTING AROUND WITH A WALKER. IS THIS NORMAL???? im new to this....
advertisement

Comments

• This is a great site for getting recovery information so I hope you get lots of good responses to your questions here.

About the pain - is it when lying on your back or when turning over or??? Lots of weird pains crop up here and there post surgery - however, that said, it is always good to contact your surgeon about something that is really troublesome.

Two weeks post surgery is very, very early in the recovery process! You are just beginning this recovery process. I used my walker for about 4 weeks - I just felt so much more secure with it. I slowly weaned myself off of it though still used it when walking outside up to about 6 weeks.

Keep us posted on your recovery!

• lilbil90 said:
    hello out there. ive just had L 4 L5 S1 surgery. it was a new procedure done with plastic discs and titainium clips that go into my spine through the front of plastic disc. No screws or rods etc you can see this procedure on http://www.ldrspine.com/products/roi/roi-a.htm I have had mind blowing pain in lower back when laying down if i move the wrong way BANG !!! i cant even describe the pain it last for about 10 sec. AND then subsides slowly.does anyone get that pain? ITS BEEN 2 WEEKS SINCE SURGERY AND STILL GETTING AROUND WITH A WALKER. IS THIS NORMAL???? im new to this....
  • i feel for your pain! i also had l-4,l-5,s-1 disc surgery.they used plastic disc held in place with 8 screws.keep using your walker! even if you dont think you need it.i had a mis-step without my walker and it set me back on healing. i had my surgery march 6 2008,my pain is still unbearable. disc l-3 is now herniated and giving me fits! the best of luck with your healing! dont over-do-it!hang in there! stan
  • Welcome to SH, Lilbil90 and Stan,

I hope both of you will find a lot of good info in this forum. We all recuperate at a different rate, so we need a lot of patience to cope with our situation. Especially you, Lilbil90, your surgery was only two weeks ago, it it way soon for you to be concerned about needing your walker. Many people need it much longer.

Take care and concentrate on your recovery. Soon you will feel better!

Goof luck to both of you,

Kin
  • I had l4-s1 done too....but the old fashioned way...with screws and rods and cages. I walked with a walker for 6 weeks!! So I do not think it is all that unusual.
  • You are actually early in your recovery after your surgery. I have a friend who was nearly a year post op before she felt back to her old self. I returned to work 3 weeks after my L4-5 ProDisc,L5-S1 Cage. I had cramping and spasms bad for a few weeks post op. So much so that I thought that I tore something loose. I followed the surgeons directions to the letter and it all worked out. We all have a different pace that we heal in. And no two operations will have the same results. Do not rush things, and do not hesitate to call your surgeon if you feel things are not quite right.

best wishes Steve
  • I had L3-S1 done in May this year. The physio wrestled the walker away from me at 6 days and said I didn't need it anymore. Before surgery I ahd been using a cane for several years. so was shocked at this lack of anything to hold onto. But in the long run I am glad it happened.
    As has been said we all get rid of the extras at our own rate, I only recently took the high toilet seat off.

I was getting a pain in my back at night like you, I would wake up literally screaming in pain then as I moved position it would abate. Didn't last long but oh boy did it hurt.
    My Dr prescribed Lyrica for me which has helped, not completely but as my back became less sensitive the pain became not so bad either and I can live with it.
    Lyrica work on your nerves.

I hope things inprove for you - I tried that website but it wouldn't connect.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Hello again..... Well I did go back to surgon and Xray showed my spin shifted a little, that could explain shocking pain. he ordered me on two weeks bed rest with bone stimulator. in about a weeks time i developed a blood clot in my left leg !!! I just got out of hospital in hospital i was on levonox and coumidin, now just coumidin.. has anyone ever gone through this ???? I also have elevated liver enzymes. i'm very stressed is there anyone out there who has gone through this that can put my mind at ease ???

Bill in ny
  • No I have not had your current issues. I had L5-S1 fusion in 04 with hardware. All I can say is try not to stress. I know that is easier said than done but it can effect your healing process. Also when laying in bed and trying to get out of bed or just want to move around in bed, please use the "log Roll" technique. That way you do not demand so much from your back. I wish I was more help to you. And I hope you get through these bumps in the road quickly!!
    Take Care adn keep us posted. MJ
advertisement