Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

13 yo w/spondylolithesis & Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with spondylolithesis after complaining for a while about low back pain. Her pediatrician sent her to an orthopedic surgeon and he put her in a Norton-Brown back brace. She has worn this for three months and the pain is much worse with the brace on (after a while). He says that she needs surgery to fuse the L5- S1. She is having to take pain meds frequently and never totally is out of pain. She is a very active kid. She plays on a competitive soccer team and is a cheerleader.(But she has quit doing both because of the back pain) She wants to know if she will be able to resume these activities in the future. The surgeon said she should be able to resume soccer after 9 months. But we forgot to ask about cheerleading. Our school district does not allow any aerial stunts or anything dangerous. What do you think?

Kristi
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am so glad you are looking after your daughter so well. i ruptured two of my discs when i was 15. i know about taking those meds when young and missing out on school activities. it can be lonely and very difficult to be injured when in high school. :''( i can't tell you what your daughter will be able to do after surgery but be very sure that is what is needed. have you gotten more than one opinion? there are special "Sports Medicine Orthopedic Surgeons" who deal with sports injuries. many of them have great recuperative therapies. <:P good luck and please keep us posted on your daughter's struggle. Jenny :)
  • Hi Kristi,

I am so sorry your daughter has to deal with these issues and suffer from pain at such a young age. You have some valid questions. I know that most of us have to restrict our activities after fusion surgery. But your daughter is so young, maybe she will heal better and faster than some of us older folks. Don't be hesitant to ask these questions from the surgeon. Like Jenny said, it is always good to get other medical opinions. It would be especially helpful to find a surgeon who deals with young people, he/she could tell you more accurately what could be expected after surgery, or maybe even could offer an alternative to surgery.

Good luck in finding the best solution for your daughter!

Take care,

Kin
  • Hi Kristi,

I am so sorry your daughter has to deal with these issues and suffer from pain at such a young age. You have some valid questions. I know that most of us have to restrict our activities after fusion surgery. But your daughter is so young, maybe she will heal better and faster than some of us older folks. Don't be hesitant to ask these questions from the surgeon. Like Jenny said, it is always good to get other medical opinions. It would be especially helpful to find a surgeon who deals with young people, he/she could tell you more accurately what could be expected after surgery, or maybe even could offer an alternative to surgery.

Good luck in finding the best solution for your daughter!

Take care,

Kin
  • Yes, we have an appointment for a second opinion. The surgeon could have done surgery prior to Christmas, but we put it off till Jan 7, mainly because our appt for 2nd is on Dec 12. I had the hardest time finding a doc that would see a 13 yo! We have a great children's hospital here,(KC area) but they couldn't get her in until next April!And that was with her pediatrician begging to get her in asap. So I called ones that my PT told me to try and they referred me to others, and so on and so on. Finally I found one. There has only been x rays taken so far. They show a bilateral pars defect of L5 with a 5-6 mm slippage. I don't know what degree that is, but I do know that she is in a lot of pain. We tried muscle relaxants, but even half a pill knocks her out for a day and a half. She also has an esphogeal problem(an autoimmune disorder where the esoph. is attacked by allergy cells) and has problems with NSAIDS due to it. You know, she has always had allergy problems, I wonder if this has ever been connected to an autoimmune disorder?

She has a MRI scheduled on Dec 16. I am going to call on Mon and try to change the 2nd to after that. If not then I'll have to keep it.

Kristi
advertisement