Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just had PLIF L5/S1...Advice?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:H
Hello, I just had a PLIF on Nov. 18th and was discharged yesterday from the hospital. I am 24 years old and was in a major car accident in May of 2007. I started seeing an Orthopedic that speacialzes in spinal health. After continiually increasing pain and 3 mri's I was told I had spondylolisthesis and 2 herniated discs,and the only way to relieve the pain was surgery. I was in shock and proceded to have 3 other opinions, all of which conquired with my original doctor. As the year went on I tryed everything to alleviate the pain, back brace, PT, steroid injections, nerve blocks etc. NOTHING helped the pain. I was a gymnast growing up so I am very tolerant of pain and this was causing huge stressors in my life, my marriage and my career. I made the decision to have the surgery done so I could move past this. I felt I was too young and too active to be in so much pain daily. I am feeling ok, pretty sore from the surgery but very confident of the outcome. I have been walking without my walker around the house already, and am excited for my Christmas present....to may not be in pain and on the couch after running from house to house visiting family during the holidays! If anyone has advice as to what to expect over the next few weeks and any extra tips on healing I would love to hear more about what to expect then just DR's orders. I am very thankful to have found this site and connect with people that truly understand how detrimental back pain can be in your life and how serious the choices are to improve it! So I thank everyone id advance for any advice and look forward to speaking to anyone!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Michelle,
    I am a little over two months post op of the same thing. I am so glad I had the surgery! =D> I dealt with a bulging disc for several years, and then it finally collapsed. I had a plif with donor bone, and a rod and screws on the left side of the spine. Yes there has been ups and downs during recovery, but nothing that was too much to handle. Immediately after surgery I could tell the numbness and tingling from the disc sitting on the nerve was gone. <:P
    I have only one session left of physical therapy, and that has been going great too. I did choose a therapist that had a pool to do my therapy it's been so much easier on the body. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and hoping that you get the present you are wishing for.
  • For a speedy recovery. Mine surgery was a little different, I had a 360- both ALIF,PLIF on 9-23-08. so Im 8 weeks post op. All n all things have went pretty well, but I still have bad days, good days etc...I think I tend to over do it on the good days then I pay for it...lol. Follow your doctors orders and remember, its one day at a time! Take care!
  • that is the best thing you can do for yourself.
    Walk as much as you can without pushing the boundaries as you need to keep the circulation moving.
    Dont expect problems but if they occur such as more pain etc, it is pretty normal and realise it is just a bump in the road not a setback.

Glad to hear that all is going well for you.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • The hardest thing for you will be to take it easy; it will be against your "nature" since you were so active before your accident, but you must take it easy to heal properly, and then get on with your life. Sorry this happened to you!
advertisement