Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lmost 3 months post-op 2 level ACDF~~Update

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey friends!!!
So sorry I have been somewhat absent from the boards recently. I have been working hard at school and it is getting to the end of the semester...trying to rais my grade since the first part of the semester I had my surgery.

The surgery was on 9-3-08 and was a 2 level ACDF C 4-5 and C 5-6.
So far the arm weakness has been gone since the moment I awoke from the surgery...yeah!!! :)

Not sure if anyone remembers or not, but I had this surgery because of discogenic pain and I did not have any spinal cord impingement. Although the bulging discs were close to the cord they did not touch it and disrupt signal that way.

My Ortho Spine surgeon told me right from the start that doing an ACDF for discogenic pain was about a 50-50 percent rate at getting better.
My discs were not only bulging but the anulus was torn and fissured at the levels they fused and there are still two other levels that are less severe but all the same they two are torn fissured and bulging...just not to the degree the fused ones are.

So my report is that I finally feel I am making progress!
This is a good thing!!
My pain levels are changing all the times and the types of pain I am haiving are changing as well.

Don't get me wrong...there are still days that I just do not want to move due to flare ups of burning pain in my neck. I also still get the burning in the lower scapular area...
My PM and I have decided to wait to do any decreasing of meds until I start PT and I am no longer required to wear a soft collar. He wants to make sure that I am comfortable when doing the PT. I agreed but I am hoping that in the future we can try to get to a place that I am on a lessor amount of meds. That would be good but we will just go with the flow for now.

So overall I feel it is a long tough road, but i also at the same time feel that i am making some improvements...
My Mom and friends have commented that they seem to hear less complaints from me and they think I must be feeling better becasue i am a bit more active.

Well thats the Update...I see Orhto surgeon on Tues and will let you all know what the next step is at that time....
I am always thinking of my friends here and praying for you all even if I am not posting a lot at the moment....

Hugs and Hearts...
Chrissy
advertisement

Comments

• I am glad things are going better for you! =D>
    You are right about the ups and downs..some days are great and then bam..you feel like junk. I think that is important to keep in mind that that is typical.
    Keep up the good work and good luck in school!
    Donna
  • Chrissy, glad to hear you are making progress! That is such good news. These spine surgeries are definitely a long haul. I too pray for all my Spiney friends. Good luck with school. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Hi there...

Yes spinal surgery is a long Haul...
    Today is sort of a down day. I was out and about doing some shopping for something specific yesterday and the driving and in and out of the car and to many stores was just To Much!! lol.

It is about time it all got to me...So I will be taking it easy today until I have to go to class in the late afternoon.

I only have one errand to do at the post office and thank goodness it is a short distance away from my home...

For all those out there preparing for an ACDF surgery, please take the time to get things ready for yourself for after the surgery!
    Stock up on foods you like...soft food in the begining were the best for me because of the swallowing issues...

I know that lots of people are here that have had some not so good outcomes with surgeries, but I want to say that i still am having pain and somtimes quite bad....I amstill on a lot of meds at this time, but I do not expect to be "Pain Free" yes i would love that, but I feel the progress I am making is in SMALL STEPS...I try not to get to impatient becasue I want to feel better Right now darn it...lol

but my body is going to heal at the pace it feels is best for me... I just follow the docs orders and do what I am supposed to due.

So hang in there if you have just had this surgery and my prayers are going out for all who are having any surgery for anything at this time....
    Especially my friend TerriJV...whom I hope is recovering at the moment!

If anyone who is reading this ever needs some support please feel free to PM me and I will do my best to support you...

I will check in tomorrow and let you all know what my Ortho says is the next step...
    I hope there are no issues with or in my x-ray...I think I would feel bad if something was going on that should not be, but you never know.
    I am looking forward to getting the collar off and going to PT and hoping it won't be to Painful....
    Chrissy