Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3rd surgery coming up and im nervous

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi guy's how are we ..been off hear for a while....my surgery is just under 4 weeks away..discetomy again...another level....for some reason i'm bricking it...is it beacause it took me three years to recover from the last one.!!!!! i had added complicattion's. Maybe this one will not be so bad...recovery time may be alot quicker...that is what im hoping for.i know no one can compare,recovery time are differnt from one person to another,i know i need it done, as the disc is pressing on the nerve,and have waited 6 months already..waiting list ..would love to hear from anyone with advice,or been in a similar situation,you think i be use to it by now....i jsut have this fear of something going wrong
im so nervous
(lon) uk :SS
advertisement

Comments

• Hey there middlesex,

I'm heading in on Dec 4th for my second go around to remove excess bone growth from the BMP material used in the first go. In addition, he hopes to remove the hardware and clean up scar tissue. The big thing is removing the bone that is causing all the pain.

I feel for you, and truly believe you will be alright... Try not to worry about something that is nothing... I hope that makes sense... Address the situation as it unfolds...

I'll say a prayer that the third time is a charm. good luck and happy holidaze..

• Hi Middlesex Girl!

I absiolutely appreciate where you are coming from.
    I had my 3rd surgery in September and was really scared pre-op. Now i am glad to be here (lol!).

I really hope this operation works for you. What were your complications?
    I know you had some (i have too) but that doesn't mean you will again. Hopefully you will make a standard recovery in normal time.

Good Luck.
  • God what a nightmare..went all the way to have my pre op assesment and my hospital where im having surgery,,and no one was there to do it..not a happy bunny..so got to go next week and have it done (pre op assesment)then my surgery is on the 9 dec....

My complication's from my second op were nerve and muscle damage...foot drop....after my sugery i was unable to move my leg (temp paralys)which im glad to say ,came back to life eventually, even if it is still weak.

My foot is recovering ,but not 100%...and at least im getting around,so yes i has alot of improvement and i started to get my life back on track..

That is why im nervous,im not a positive person and in mind i feel that something may go wrong... i won't be able to relax till it is all over,my stomach has butterflies, and going there today and having to be re-booked didn't make me fill much better...hospital car parking is expensive
    thanks guys for trying to reasure me,im so glad im not the only one who feel,s like this
    take care guy's i keep you posted
    middlesex girl
    xxx

• I know how you feel.

How did you manage to get foot drop and so much nerve damage? Was it from the surgery or the damage to your spine pre-surgery?

I am really curious - I am having ongoing issues with my leg and foot following surgerical removal of a misplaced spacer. I know nerves can take a while. :W

So what are they going to do this time?
    Feel free to PM me. I am in UK as well.
    Take care >:D<
  • My 2nd revision surgery is next Thursday. I go on Tuesday for the preop admission stuff and I'm getting the butterflies too. I've had a pretty good day today with not as much pain for once, so it always makes you think..well? But I know tomorrow or the next day will bring more pain, until I get this fixed. I hate having to go thru this again. You know what's coming and you've been there, but it's just the fact of having to do it again. We are getting out all the things this weekend, like the potty arms and the raised seat and all that to put back on. I've been thinking about my gowns and houseshoes. Things that you just don't expect to have to think about ever again.

I'm having PLIF after an ALIF L4/L4 in July this year where my cage has moved out of the vertebra space and touching my L5 nerve root.

Hope you come out of this surgery with completion and have no complications. and me too.

Melisa
  • when your well overdue a hair cut, your hair always looks well nice the day you du to go and have it cut!

Well, now the big day is coming, you'll have some good days. Yeah, the man upstairs sure does have a sense of humour!!

I wish you both well.
  • The foot drop started pre surgery.i first couldn't move my big toe....and wasn't aware till the surgery day that it was start of foot drop,,,,basicly your foot drag's agains't the ground...you can't lift it....that was my symptom's...others may varie...i quess..
    the actuall disc had made it's way around the nerve,so it was very close to my spine .the delay with my treatment beforehand didn't help matter's.
    I Had all the complication's that could happen! hence why im nervous!!!!!!!!
    i know i lost some blood during surgery where they remove the disc.i could move my legs when i woke from surgery but 24 hrs later god no movement at all in one leg..scary.....but like i said it is recovering nerve take so long to recover,i still have numb sensation in part of my leg...but it is recovered but not 100% abd not sure if it will...
    this time they going to remove another dics at a differnt level.i go for my pre assesment next tues so should find out more,i know im not in as much discomfort as i was 3 years ago..but it needs fixing,,so fingers crossed it will not be as bad.... :SS

------------------------
    L/4-5 DISECTOMY NOV 05...FOOT DROP MUSCLE AND NERVE DAMAGE
  • THANKS GUY FOR YOUR WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT
    :) :)
    MIDDLESEX
    XX
  • has my pre assesment yesterday.....im fit for my surgery.....god it is only next tuesday....i have load's of butterflies ........as his will be my third op......although it is at another level of my spine....i know what is coming,
    i know my family will be really supportive....and i will not have to lift a finger.....but i suffered from depression after my last surgery..has any one else felt low after surgery
    take care guys

• I hope all will be well with your surgery. Try to relax and hopefully the depression doesn't come back. I haven't had surgery yet but know you'll be hopefully more functional and less pain after recovery from surgery. Put your name in the December surgery column. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I think a lot of us Spineys do suffer some depression after surgery. In my own case, my expectations of a "cure" were extremely high and I did not expect such a long recovery. Since you have already had 2 surgeries, you know the drill! I wish you the best next week and a good recovery! Keep us posted when you can.
  • Hi!

I am waiting for my 4th fusion now- have had an uphill battle to get funding for the BMP but I heard a rumour that the surgery can go ahead in Feb but i'm waiting for it to be confirmed.

I am super nervous now as I had complications after my last surgery in 06 and i have had to wait solong for this one- it has let the nervousness to grow out of proportion so I am the most nervous I have ever been!

I hope you're feeling ok now and that you have a quick recovery this time

Love Em x

• Hi guy's ,well tomorrow (tues) is my surgery day....i go on the morning of my surgery.....thank's for the word'd of encouragement.....finger's crossed they dont cancell it..as im working myself up.

Im trying not to dwell on what happened last time with the added complication's,but i have to say, it is hard.

i will keep you posted....i will miss my internet lol....
    good luck to everyone who is havng their surgery's
    take care and all have a speedy recovery
    middlesex
    xxxx :H >:D<
  • Hi Guy's, 7 day's post op.....and yes i come out of the surgery much better than expected...................aprt from some minor complications with the loss of blood during surgery......
    Im at home now,came home yesterday,very sore and tired..massive headache....but im told that this is normal with spineal surgery.
    Im feeling ok in myself..much much better than last time
    well thsnks for your word's of encouragement
    love midlesex ;)
    --------------------------------------------
    decompression lumber spine..L4,L5,S1
  • So glad you're back home! Here's wishing you a very speedy recovery! >:D< >:D<
  • but watch the head ache. Lie flat lots.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. >:D<
  • thank you guy's.... im taking everything really gently...
    love
    middlesex girl (|:
  • well it is exacltly 2 week's since my surgery.......did something really stupid...and chared my back god im suffering.....was going real good as well...so laid up on the sofa......hopefully not for long...but so far as for the surgery that seems to be healing well...
    god luck to everyone who due to have surgery
    have a fab christmas
    middlesex
    disectonmy L-4-5 S1 DEC 9 2008
    3RD OPERATION....
    recovery good so far :)
advertisement