Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello All! I am new,...scared and hoping for support!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey to all.... This is my introduction. I am a 40 year old female from Michigan (man am I really 40??? I just turned about a month ago and and am obviously still having issues with it!! hahaha). I have really just started having back issues this year.(of course, I am 40 now!!) First episode I had was earlier in the year and they told me I had a slight herniation of the L5, got some vicodin and carried on with pain, but was tolerable. Then, this fall i was in my garage bent over to throw away a piece of paper...and BOOM my back was GONE....I could barely stand up, and went to bed with vicodin for the next few days. Went back to my Neurologist and he sent me for another MRI. This time the findings were a bit different. This is what part of my report says:

FINDINGS CONSISTENT WITH LOCAL LEFT SIDED POSTEROLATERAL DISC HERNIATION AT L4-L5 ABUTTING LEFT L4 NERVE ROOT WITH ASSOCIATED LEFT FORAMINAL NARROWING. CORRELATE CLINICALLY FOR A LEFT L4 RADICULOPATHY.

Now, I have been off work since that fateful day in October and have had severe pain in my lower back that radiates down both my legs. I of course was given the old stand by of pain pills (vicodin), and was referred to a Neurosurgeon. I have my appointment with him TOMORROW, and I am a wreck (probably why I am awake at 12:41am). I have also had 2 Lumbar Epidural Steriod Injections, and am scheduled to have one more on the 9th of December. So... I am concerned as to what this surgeon will say tomorrow, Is surgery inevitable????

Ok..done babbling. Any and all support welcome!
:SS
advertisement

Comments

• If the herniation is pressing on a nerve root,you might have to have surgery...good luck,you have the choice though to have surgery or not....
  • Welcome to S~H :H

Here is what I found: http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/herniated-disc/lumbar-herniated-disc

In most cases, if a patient’s low back and/or leg pain is going to get better after a lumbar herniated disc it will start to do so within about six weeks. While waiting to see if the disc will heal on its own, several nonsurgical treatment options can help reduce the back pain, leg pain and discomfort caused by the herniated disc.

Several of the most common nonsurgical treatments include:

Physical therapy
    Osteopathic/chiropractic manipulations
    Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
    Oral steroids (e.g. prednisone or methyprednisolone)
    An epidural (cortisone) injection
    For a full list of nonsurgical treatments, please see Treatment Options for a Lumbar Herniated Disk.

If the pain and other symptoms continue after six weeks, and if the pain is severe, it is reasonable to consider microdiscectomy surgery as an option to alleviate the pain from the herniated disc.

Surgical Lumbar Herniated Disc Treatment
    A microdiscectomy is designed to take the pressure off the nerve root by removing the portion of the disc that is pressing on it, and to provide the nerve with a better healing environment.Using microsurgical techniques and a small incision, a microdiscectomy can usually be done on an outpatient basis or with one overnight stay in the hospital, and most patients can return to work full duty in one to three weeks. For full information on a microdiscectomy please see Microdiscectomy (microdecompression) back surgery.

With an experienced surgeon, the success rate of surgery for a lumbar herniated disc should be about 95%. Usually, only the small portion of the disc that is pushing against the nerve root needs to be excised, and the majority of the disc remains intact.

Good luck and I hope to see you around the forum :)

PS~40 is the new 30(lol)I'm 48 :??
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,720
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    As the previous posters indicated, from the write up of your MRI that you provided, it seems you have a disc that is pressing on a nerve root which is causing you the leg pain (sciatica). But to really understand the MRI readings, please consult your doctor. No member on Spine-Health is fully qualified to read or interpret MRI's. What you may receive is personal opinions based on one's own situation.
    What is your doctor's advice and action plan for you?
    The ESI's are a good start. In fact, you should explore all the conservative treatments (Physical and Aqua Therapy, Passive Traction, Acunpuncture,Ultrasound, etc) before considering surgery.
    That is the normal action plan for most people with disc related problems. However, when a disc is pressing on a nerve root, sometimes it is necessary to bypass some of the treatments mentioned above and have surgery sooner. The problem is when a nerve root is being impinge, the longer you hold off correcting that you might be faced with a longer recovery time in terms of nerve pain.
    Again Welcome to Spine-Health and remember ALWAYS consult with your doctor for the say in terms of medical advice.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are having chronic pain. ~X( please be sure and get more than one opinion, especially if surgery is recommended. there are many people here who can attest to the wisdom of it. :? good luck and make yourself at home! Jenny :)
  • You will find lots of info and support here. second opinions are always a good idea for any type of surgery. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • mom23girlz- welcome to the forum. Hope the surgeon appt went well. I don't know what his recommendations are but you can always get another opinion or 2 if needed...jade
advertisement