Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Treadmill

eajosepheeajoseph Posts: 315
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm having 2 360 degree fusions in January. My NS said that walking will be a big thing with recovery. So I want to be able to walk as much as I can so I will recover as quickly and fully as possible. With it being in January though I won't be able to get outside as much to walk around. I'm north of DC. We don't get tons of snow but we tend to get a decent amount of ice.

I'm trying to locate a treadmill. Is this a good idea? I live in a townhouse so the layout isn't great for a lot of walking. I'm hoping to find a treadmill on freecycle or craigslist. I'm not a runner and not a huge treadmill person. Don't want to spend a lot of $$$$.

Ideas? Suggestions?
advertisement

Comments

• Yep a treadmill will be great for you. Just make sure to get one that had a long enough stride in it (not a fold up one that has a short stride).
    I wished I had one when I came home as it rained for weeks and I got so sick of going to the mall to walk just to be safe.

I wouldn't go for a cycle machine just yet as you may need a recumbent cycle (wont know yet as we are all different) and I dont know what the other thing is.

Hope that help a bit but I do know some members here have gotten treadmill to walk on. You can even try an online shop as you dont want to have to carry one home :))(
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • I have a long deck treadmill that is also a fold up space saver. It has been a lifesaver and I have walked or run 1000's of miles on it over the last 9 years. Primarily the last 4. I have it in a spare room with a small TV and DVD player and headphones on a long cord. Brand new 9 years ago it ran about $1K. By investing in a good treadmill, it has survived the abuse.

Good luck with your search,

"C"
  • Sorry to interrupt the thread, but what is the name of your new avatar? I've been trying to remember it, but can't. Love the pic. 8}
  • I have a recumbent bike already. I've always loved it. I don't like the regular ones as much.

I'm going to keep looking for a treadmill. I would love it if I could get my insurance to help pay for it but I doubt that they'll go for that.

Guess I know what I'm going to tell Santa I want. :D

• My Doc said he would write a script out for a health club membership for the winter if I wanted one. Not sure if the insurance will go for it but it's worth a try.
  • I hadn't thought about seeing if the doctor would do a script to a health club. Wonder if a health club would let me use their facility without a year long membership. hmmmm
  • Rentals for equipment like this would be a really good idea. I don't know of any service that does this, but man, that would be a good business, don't you think?
  • I didn't know that was possible with worker's comp! I have a treadmill and will use it when the weather gets junky, but a gym membership would be very helpful.
  • HELLO :H

I love my treadmill but i couldnt use it for the past 4 months when i started having neck and shoulder problems, and with the abnormal mri they said not to exercise until i see the nuerosurgeon.

I couldnt even take physical therapy until i got tHE SECOND MRI. I can go and use the treadmill, but its gonna be hard to get things going again. I will start out slow i guess.

ALWAYS ASK YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING A EXCERCISE PROGRAM!
    ESPECIALLY WITH SPINE ISSUES.

But otherwise it is a great work out at home, i have the same problem with my area to walk, Plus if i get pain i can just jump off and not have to worry about walking back...LOl =)) . I got mine on craigslist for a good price too. it took a few weeks then finally the perfect one was posted and i made a cheaper offer and they excepted it. =D>

I also bought a prof. pilates reformer from a gym we did glass and door work for. I love pilates so i put it in the proposal, ;) ,lol. But i havent took pilates in a few years so now i need to get a trainer again so i can get the basics down and get stronger so i dont injure myself.

what area are you from? are you near ny? I AM ASKING CAUSE I CAN HELP YOU LOOK im good ant that kinda stuff. let me know if you need help. and what area your from.

GOOD LUCK and HAPPY WALKING :))(

DAWN
  • I'm not sure either. All he said was he would write a script for it and then I could give it to my lawyer to see if W/C would except it.
  • It's ALF. One of the coolest aliens to ever visit Hollywood!
advertisement