Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 month post op appt update!

LoLLo Posts: 694
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I saw my Neurosurgeon today for my 2 months post op appt and I got great news.

She said it looks like the graft is already starting to fuse!!!!

I had some flare ups of Sciatica, and some pain in my lower back, but she said it could be because I am growing bone now, and the Sciatic flare ups are typical.

I can't take nerve pain meds because of my Wellbutrin SR, so I told her I was really looking forward to P.T. and she said I could start NOW!

I have been having issues with the Cervical area again, so she put a referral in to work on PT in that area, too. I'm supposed to go 3x a week. Can't waitttt.

She said there is a good chance I'll end up needing surgery down the road, most likely on L5-S1, but that it won't be tomorrow, so not to worry... It could be 15 years down the road.

I have to stop taking my Valium once I start P.T. though, which is gonna SUCK :( She said it's counter productive, so they are going to want me to stop. She gave me a refill, though, for when I need it. I just can't take it daily anymore. The Percocet she has no issue giving me refills for, thankfully. I know some peoples' doctors won't give pain meds after a certain point, or start to cut them down, but thankfully my surgeon is great about that. She said I'll probably need them especially now since I'll be starting P.T.

I go for an MRI in January, and I'll see her then to check up on everything... And she said if my Sciatica isn't gone in a few months, we'll do another MRI to check on the nerve, and possibly an MRI in the Cervical area.

So, all in all, things are looking great. To begin fusing at 2 months is CRAZY fast. She said it's probably because I'm healthy otherwise. Not obese, not a smoker, not a coffee drinker, etc... But who cares WHY, I'm just glad it IS. Can't wait to see how long it will be before I'm fully fused :)
advertisement

Comments

• That is great news. I would love to have your Neurosurgeon she sounds very attentive and personal and follows up with you. That's great you're starting to fuse so fast. Take care and I wish you a speedy recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank you :)

My surgeon is AWESOME. I absolutely LOVE her. She NEVER rushes you, she is always very informative, sits down right across from you and talks to you face to face, like a peer, not someone above you. She got me in for emergency surgery for my fusion, her and the Vascular surgeon switched around their schedules to take me 12 hours after I saw her, because of the importance of my issue. She is very, very personable, sweet, caring, great with my son... She is by far the best doctor I have EVER had. Everyone there, the other doctors, the P.A.'s, they are all REALLY attentive and fast. When I reherniated they called in Valium, steroids, and Pepcid for my stomach since the steroids were really strong, and sent me for an MRI that night at like 9pm. They are wonderful.

How come you aren't a candidate for surgery???

• I saw an orthosurgeon and he sent me to a pain management Dr. I'm only able to get a second opinion in January, 11 months after becoming disabled off work. I'm on long term disability through work so it's conservative treatments epis and meds until it gets better. My leg feels better after 2 epis so far. I'm getting a new pm Dr. cause the other one is cruel and gives way too many needles. I need a second opinion from another PM Dr. on Dec. 3. I wish I had your Dr. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm sorry. Around here they don't give you multiple injections if the first doesn't show any improvement. My cortisone injection actually made my back a lot worse. Thankfully they discontinued.

I hated my Ortho. I am so glad I got referred to a Neuro this time. They seem, in MY OPINION (just mine, nobody get upset), to be a lot more knowledgeable and a lot more helpful when it comes to nerves and nerve pain. I hope your second opinion goes a lot better than the first! You would LOVE my doctor. I wish you could have her too :(

I had my Fusion less than 5 months after my Microdiscectomy. If something fails and isn't showing improvement, they don't make you suffer.
  • I am so happy for you! What really great, great news! I know you are walking-on-the clouds happy. Give that little boy of yours a hug...his mom's well on her way! Thanks for letting us know about it...it gives us all hope!
  • Great News Lo!!! I am so happy to hear you have good news. I see my doc tomorrow for my 2 week update and had questions on some sciatica issues I developed after surgery. I am glad to here it's normal. I hope my fusing will start soon. I am so happy you will be able to be "normal" soon. Don't over extend yourself and keep getting stronger. Good Job.
  • Thanks you guys :)

>:D< >:D< >:D<

• Good to hear good news Lo! I hope to be joining you in the fusing department when I see my NS on Wednesday. Have a great Turkey Day <:P
  • Hey Lo!!

How the heck are you?? That's great sweetie! You have been sooooooo strong through this whole thing and have given a lot of us here some hope, especially since you are soo young and you have such and openess about the whole thing! I just love ya for it! :X
    I go on Dec 10th for my next appt. Been having the ESI's from the bone protein leakage. I also wear a bone stim every day for 2 hours! Oh boy!
    Leg is killing me, and my hip too, but won't tell anyone but doc when I see him. I wanna get back to work! (see my new post for that one! LOL!)

Well off to another dr appt.
    will check in when I get home!

>:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
    Kim
  • That is wonderful news! Thank you for letting us know.
  • Lo excellent news.
    Did she use BMP on you??

You are so lucky to be fusing quickly. I hope it all continues as planned.
    >:D<
  • Aww. Thanks :) Your post made me smile :D

Yikes! Sounds like no fun :( I hope you get to return to work as soon as you are hoping to!!!

I've been getting better... I used to have really bad pain in my hip/groin area but that went away... I have some flare ups of Sciatica but nothing major, and they said it's just the nerve healing, so it's okay with me!

I hope your appt goes well!

*huggggggz*
  • Thanks! And no prob :D
  • Thank you :)

Yes, she did. BMP with plastic (PEEK) cages.
  • Great news Lo....keep it up :)
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

advertisement