Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Facet Injections

TalsinCTTalsinC Posts: 8
I cannot begin to even describe the relief! After three surgeries and tons of pills, a few pricks with a needle and the pain is almost gone! Why of why was this not made an option months ago?

I know it is not permanent but the sweet, sweet relief is incredible. I have a myelogram next week so hopefully things are heading in the right direction.

Curt
advertisement

Comments

• I am so happy the injections worked for you!!
  • Curt,
    I am so happy for you! Is a facet injection the same as epidural/ steroidal? I've had sciatica (pain is mostly on side of lower left leg) for 11 mos., recently had an MRI showing "broadbased disc protrusion L4-L5 with disc material effacing (?) L5 nerve root" and assume this means herniation. I am finally going to a neurosurgeon in 11 days (consultation) and wondering what will be recommended. Is it worth trying an injection, maybe I can be pain-free for the holidays??
  • Curt,
    I am so happy for you! Is a facet injection the same as epidural/ steroidal? I've had sciatica (pain is mostly on side of lower left leg) for 11 mos., recently had an MRI showing "broadbased disc protrusion L4-L5 with disc material effacing (?) L5 nerve root" and assume this means herniation. I am finally going to a neurosurgeon in 11 days (consultation) and wondering what will be recommended. Is it worth trying an injection, maybe I can be pain-free for the holidays??
  • Hiya >:D< Welcome To Spine Health :D How many did you have to have? :SS Did they give you a sedative? :SS I am having the facet joint injections this friday 28th :SS ,i have had them before :''( , and for the first week the pain got worse :''( , then after that i was great for about 6 months :D . Hey like you say its not permanant, but some relief is better than none :D . I am made up for you >:D< .

Angie :H
  • That is great to have pain relief even for awhile. What is your diagnosis? I wonder if facet injections may help me too. I hope things go well for your myelogram. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Senji,

I am not sure what they are called other than what my pain management doctor called them, Facet Injections.

He gave me through an IV, Versed and Phentanyl. I was a little loopy while he did it but not out. He injected me four times each at a different vertebrae, starting one below where my surgery was. The injections were a mix of steroid and Novocaine like medicine. It was actually pretty cool as I could watch on the fluoroscope screen as he was doing them.

Curt
  • Charry,

Not sure on an actual diagnosis but I have Degenerative Disc Disease. I have had two microdiscectomy's and fusion with hardware at L5-S1 for herniated discs. So far the only thing that has given me any real relief is the facet injection procedure I had yesterday.

I am hoping that because they were able to successfully numb the pain yesterday that they now know where to fix me and that we can move towards that. I am currently on a whole host of drugs to allow me somewhat of a normal life.

Methadone 15mg twice a day.
    Lyrica 75mg three times a day.
    Cyclobenzaprine 10mg three times a day.
    Promethazine 25 mg taken with the Methadone for naseua.
    Trazadone 100mg at night.
    Dilaudid 2mg for breakthru pain.
  • I loved my fact injections. Unfortunately, the relief only lasted as few days to a few weeks. In turn, I loved the doctor who gave them to me. He said I had a lot wrong with me. (I told him that's what my husband says) So, its hard to determine exactly what the problem is. When the facet injections worked so well, it was recommended that I have a facet rhizotomy. THAT didn't work so well. But I sure did love those injections. Susan
  • I'm going for facet injections Dec. 6th. I hope I get the same relief as you. What is with Canada here? We have no fluoroscopy, no iv's with conscious sedation except where I work they use it for certain procedures like resetting arm or leg or trimming an abcess.
    Anyways I take an extra pain med and my own sedative for injections. I feel like I live in Bedrock the stone age. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement