Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Blessed & Thankful

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Good News
Maybe we should have a "Things happen for a reason, even if we don't know why" category...
Several months ago, I posted on the forum about how upset I was with a NS consult that went very poorly, how terrible he treated me, disrespectful he was and how he told me surgery wouldn't help me and there was nothing he would do. I was SO upset, there were no words that would console me. People said "things happen for a reason". Ooooh, I wanted to punch them. I had been in pain for so long and I couldn't use my dominant arm, I was tripping, I couldn't walk at times and now a Neurosurgeon told me too bad. :''(
Well, fast forward to September. I went to my primary care doctor with my reports in tears and asked for his help. He took one look and said, you have to go to Dr. T (I don't know if I can use names) at Barrows. I got a referral, got in to see him within 2 days of him reading my films. He was wonderful, said of course he could help and surgery was the ONLY option.
I'm happy to report that 6 weeks post op (3 level ACDF with titanium plates) that I am doing great! Back to work with full use of my arm and leg, hardly any pain. :D
I am so blessed that the first NS "couldn't help me". Otherwise I wouldn't have been led to the wonderful NS who COULD and DID help me.
So...things happen for a reason, EVEN if we don't know why at the time.
Many blessings to all during this holiday of Thanksgiving and always!
advertisement

Comments

• That is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing that. How inspiring for Thanksgiving. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I like it!

AND really glad your doing great!
  • This is how i've lived my life the last 10+years.

My marriage was a horrible one, but it happened for a reason. Actually 2. My daughters.

I became a very strong person during that time as well. Why would I need that? For the day that I decided to leave him.

The strength I gained? It's helping me to carry through raising my girls, completely alone.

Three weeks after he was gone, I received a phone call for a job interview at the highest paying factory in my area. I got the job, which paid me 3 times what I was making at my previous job.

Because of how much money I made while working there, I am still able to make ends meet on the disability pay that I receive. (Only 60% of what I was making and still doing it all on my own)

Four and a half years ago, my back decided it didn't want me working anymore lol. I remember the night vividly. I also remember all the struggles and pain over the last 4 1/2 years. I vividly remember the 2 surgeries since then as well. But it has all happened for a reason.

Being a single mother, I was working nights. My sister and mother were keeping my children with them overnight. I would pick them up when I got off work at 5:30am. I would put my oldest on the bus (she was in kindergarten) and throughout the day I would get maybe 4 hours of sleep total, just to start all over again. I was so worn out that I lost count how many times I dozed off while driving. But then my back went. At that time all I could think of was "great, now what am I gonna do?" I NEEDED to bring money in. After I found out about the disability, it was better.

It happened for a reason. I was worn out. Physically, mentally, and emotionally. But because my back went on me, it allowed me to finally have my dream job. Someone once asked me in an interview what my dream job would be. I told her, without hesitation, that I wanted to be a paid stay at home mom. My children needed their mom at home. And that's exactly what my back did. It allowed me, a single mom, to be able to stay at home, raise my girls, be there for them 24/7 and still be able to pay the bills. My children had been through alot already, emotionally. Their "sperm donor" up and walked out on them. No contact, no presents, no phone calls, no money....nothing. I later had a boyfriend do exactly the same thing again. They needed me home with them. My youngest still has separation anxiety because of it, though she has gotten ALOT better.

I am also now doing something I never would have had the chance to do if my back hadn't gone on me. I am getting a degree. And most of my schooling is being paid for, for me. I never would have been able to handle school, work, and kids all together. My school hours are during the hours my girls are in school. How lucky am I?

Yes, everything happens for a reason. We don't always know why. It isn't always for us to know why. We just need to remember that it will be for the best.

I have learned over the years to be truly thankful for everything that I have. My girls. My health. My family. My home. I have alot more than alot of people do, even though I struggle to keep it sometimes. I hope everyone has a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!!