Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello Everyone

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
I just had a microdiscectomy on the 21st of November. I have/had 2 herniated disk at L4/5 and L5/S1. The Microdiscectomy removed the bulging at L5/S1. I had asked that both be removed just to make sure and I was told that they would do both but apparently not. Anyways I have been in constant pain since then with no end in sight and this is the first place I found that had people that are going through or have gone through the same thing as I am. I am just really glad I found this place. >:D<
I have a question about blood around the nerve. I just got off the phone with my Dr.'s office. I had asked them why I still hurt and I was told that there is blood around my nerve from the surgery and that is causing the pain. Has anyone ever heard of this? I was told this by, I think the office secretary, and not sure if its true or accurate. Any info would be awesome.
advertisement

Comments

• :) :) :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry to hear your surgery is unsuccessful so far. i do not have your problems but we do have pain in common. ~X( i would not put much stock in what the office secretary told you. she should not be handing out advice anyway and would probably get in trouble if the doctor knew about it. :T anyway, your doctor is your best source to answer any questions like that, especially considering your recovery is not going well. you need to get answers to your questions and figure out what you are going to do. :-C i am sure someone will come along to answer your questions the best they can. good luck in your recovery! Jenny :)
  • backbane- wow, I would see if you can get an appt with the dr ASAP or go to ER if needed. No sleep, severe pain, and guessing by the dr's office. And the issue of the L4-L5 not being operated on when you were told it would be done with the L5-S1 disc could definitely be a problem. How do they know pain could not be from L4-L5 as well without seeing you? Perhaps, take someone with you to the drs office to get answers...take care...jade
  • I'm sorry you are in such severe pain and I hope you hear from your doctor today. With the holiday coming up, that just makes this harder.

Are you making sure to not bend, lift or twist right now? Don't even bend over to brush your teeth - pull up a chair and do your best. That can only make it worse. I wasn't the best behaved after my first surgery, and I think it led to further problems. I was just so eager to get back to my normal life.

Hang in there,

Cheri
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,736
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    You are really SO early coming out of surgery and starting your recovery. It would not surprise me that you will have some localized pain as well as radiating pain. I have a lot of respect for secretaries, they can be the backbone of an organization, however when a secretary in a medical office starts to discuss medical conditions, situations, etc, I immediate draw the line! Insist on talk to the doctor and make it clear that 2nd or 3rd hand information is not what you are looking for.
    Without knowing your exact situation, I will only say that with any spinal surgery, the recovery period is so important and it is critical that you keep within any limitations and restrictions that were set up.

Good luck, at time goes by you should start feeling better and better... Do not be alarmed if you have a bad day or temporary setback. As long as those bad days dont continue on to the next day and the next, you should not be worried.
    But at any time when you need answers, make sure you get it from your doctor
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • About 8am this morning I was really freaking out. I called my father inlaw to see if he could come take my son so my son could have some fun today. But when I got him on the phone I ended up asking if he could come over to my house. My wife has been working 2 jobs and overtime since I have been out, and this morning I ended up just breaking down from exhaustion. He came over within 10 min and we talked for a while. He then entertained my son and let me try to rest. I figured since he was watching over me I would go ahead and put the heating pad on and try to sleep. FIRST time in 2 months the pain did not wake me up. I only slept for about 2 hours before I woke up, but it felt like 8 hours with the amount of relief I felt mentally. Still havnt heard back from the Dr. office yet though.
  • :) Backbane, when i have trouble sleeping i really rely on naps. they can be only an hour or two and feel better than a nights sleep. I) don't fight your sleep so much. drop by the "sleep Problems" forum if you are having troubles. it can make a night less lonely. :) i really do use naps as the best way to battle the sleep problem. have your tried any sleep aids? rest when you can. Jenny :)
  • Hi Backbane,

You are blessed to have a good father in law. Get rest as much as you can when your father in law is around to help you.
    I hope you will find relief for the sleeping problem. When I can't sleep due to pain, I take 1 tablet of Vicodin, just knocks me out. bad thing though is I wake up in the middle of the night bec. of pain.
    Anyways, good luck to you, and welcome!
    Honeybee
  • I am sorry that you are having such a rough time :''( :''( . If I were you, I would get my butt to that doctors office, and tell them that you need help. I would also take the others advice to go to the ER if you have to, pain and lack of sleep is not goood ~X( ~X( ~X( . I hope that you can get some help and some rest. Your father inlaw was great to help you out!
  • Does your doctor have a Physician's Assistant? I don't talk directly to my ortho surgeon, but talk to her. She's not a secretary, but a part of his team. She speaks to the doc and then relays the info to me. There is no excuse for the doc not getting back to you! Is your pain around the incision, or is it pain radiating down in your leg?

Why not come to the Back and Neck Surgery forum and post these questions to them? Almost all of the posters there have had or will shortly have surgery of some sort on their back or neck. Come join the fun!

What meds did the doc give you for pain when you got home? Hope tonight you get some rest! Take care.
  • Welcome to SH. I had a radical endoscopic microD last December and I was in excruciating pain afterwards. My doc explained that after part of the disc is removed, your spine actually has to realign itself and that is where most of the pain comes from. I also have arthritis and bone spurs in my facet joints and the surgery has worsened that pain. It did improve the sciatica but it took about 6 months for that to happen. You are still very early on in your recovery so I hope that you will have much improvement. Good luck and please keep us posted.
advertisement