Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

why did watson gen. FENT patches dissapear everywhere?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
always have been on the watson brand generic FENT 100mcg patch since late 06 (of course after many months of other drug therapies, and the patch just worked for me), after many unexplained fracturing of my L1 and L2 verts kept happening for zero reason. now with a diagnosis of DDD, and all that entails (also i was a semi-pro skateboarder in the 80s-90's and skated vert so my back always took the brunt of my bails and falling).. not sure how much that plays in, but im sure enough.

so during mid sept '08, i go to re-up my new script, and i had to get some extra as i was going to the east coast to help out my dad and mom since she was going thru radiation for breast cancer. i SEARCHED for watson brand at EVERY WALGREENS in the bay area to no avail. literally, they were all out and just had brand name and mylan (CRAP CRAP CRAP!)... i purchase the mylan, as the brand name is too much money! (no insurance for me. i have to pay cash.)

mind you, i had no idea the ABSOLUTE HELL i was about to experience. suffice to say, it finally got solved from a nice doctor 3 weeks later (that's as much i could handle before i became batshiat crazy from the WDs), that talked to my PCP doctor in cali, and that doctor actually had his office staff find a local m+p pharm with sandoz, and they charged me what i would pay at Walgreens (after the hell i was in, this was HEAVEN!)

so this long story comes down to one thing, one thing only... why are watson fent patches off the market? i knew the 25mcg had a recall, but they had zero problems with any other sizes.
i called the FDA about this, and to report he mylan patches which i then sent in evidence to the FDA consumer drug watch site about the MYLAN patches being CRAP, and said these generics are not the same as the other 'gel' filled generics.
i also called watson and they said their product is on the market as normal.
it's strange as every major store i called, and many m+p pharms said they had no/zero watson brand, and everyone was running on the sandoz/brand name. (no one likes the mylan; wonder why?)
anyone have any idea what is going on? i'm due for my monthly refill on monday and would love to get watson generic, if indeed they are out there, then spending all my xmas money on brand name (which is what i'm thinking im going to have to do)
advertisement

Comments

• Rent,

First off, nice name, it's very appropriate with you just having gone through some heavy withdrawals, yes? It really makes you appreciate the power these medicines have over us. Sorry you had to go through such an experience.

I didn't research, but my guess is that Walgreens just altogether stopped carrying that brand, because another became cheaper, or more likely, their supplier ran out and had some minor availability issues. Most/all of the large pharmacy chains use a middle-man, a supplier. They supplier buys your patches in bulk, the thousands, from Watson, for a lower price. Walgreens then buys them from that one supplier, at a better price than they could ever negotiate from Watson. They lock into just ONE middle man, sort of a 'drug dealer' type relationship, to get almost ALL of their meds from just that one source; so some pharmacies that get one med, can't get another, even if it is on the market. So maybe their supplier ran out, and was stuck negotiating a new contracted price with Watson or something..

It's just an added layer of complexity that I wish didn't exist, but has to.

Example; a new generic is out for Oxycontin. Great right? Not really. Most big chain pharmacies are using a supplier who still doesn't have it available, at all. Mom and pop/small chain pharmacies have slightly higher prices, but usually can shop from any of the two or three local/regional suppliers of their meds, so they CAN get it.

Lastly, pharmacies will NOT give you info about shedule II drugs over the phone, such as fentanyl. I'm sure you got some info, but mostly, they won't even tell you what brands they can get. They won't even stock the patches, for examply, unless they have a regular customer getting them. Their supplier is only 1 business day away on shipping anyhow. So.. stick with that same pharmacy!

Too much info, but hopefully better than not enough.

Sincerely,

JWM

ps - call watson again, ask what suppliers or large pharmacies they sell the generic to; that should help you out in finding who has them.. Are you stuck at walgreens or can you change pharmacies if needed?
  • I'm on Fentanyl too and I personally prefer the Watson brand too. I asked the pharmacist if I could keep getting that brand if possible. I go to a smaller chain pharmacy and most times they carried it. I got the Sandoz this time around and I guess it's okay. I'm in the middle of a pain flare and it's really kicking my tail. How much did you pay for the name brand? (Like the generic's not expensive enough :jawdrop: )
  • thanks for the info/explanation JWM. yeh, renton is apt esp for the current situation i went just went thru, but ive been using that name for days, so i don't know if the name screwed me or what (HA!)... yes, i don't wish these meds on anyone for anything. i'm actually in the process of trying to go down as much as i can. tho, my back will dictate whatever that is (im aggressively hitting up phstherapy to hopefully help out too)

meydey... i don't know if prices can be posted so if mods need to edit, go ahead. 2 boxes of the watson would normally only cost me around 250. the brand name for 2 boxes would be close to 700. amazing, huh? that's with AAA discount and walgreens discount programme as well.

that's why i'm more then pissed that watson just up and disappeared from site. however, that doesn't anger me as much as the pharmacies and the pharmaceutical companies that want you to believe that MYLAN is the "SAME" as sandoz, dragesic, watson.... it's not. completely different delivery system that doesn't work on quite a few individuals.
  • nice =) I use AAA discount for my meds with cash; it's the best I've found anywhere, it even beat my last employer's discount Rx prices.

Good luck finding the watsons.. I take different stuff now, but at a time, tried the patch; it worked great but the duragesics would fall off after 2 days max; no good.

Cheers
  • This may be off topic or thread so I apologize. I went through what you did so I'll not sandblast you with my terrible experience. You can contact (PPA) Partners for Prescription Assistance and if your financially strapped you can receive the Duragesic brand for FREE or almost FREE depending on your situation and it's only one sheet of paper for you and you physician to submit. I was receiving them for free while fighting with the SSA. Just a thought.
advertisement